Wednesday nite's dinner
  Re: (...)
Have a nice cabbage in the fridge and it's so cold here. We had snow last nite! Anyway, defrosting some ground turkey and planning on some nice "galummpys". Y'know cabbage leaves stuffed with ground meat and rice. We do ours with a little brown sugar, but I've seen recipes with tomato and other things. I know you all have some favorite ways of doing them, and I'd love to know what your family calls them. Please share if you'd like
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Wednesday nite's dinner by farnfam (Have a nice cabbage ...)
I grew up with 'Cabbage Rolls' they were stuffed with ground beef and rice and cooked in a tomato base of some kind. They were really good. I haven't had them in years and years.

Tonight we are having Petite Sirloins with Gingered Tomato Chutney issue No.65 I will also make the side dish of Roasted Dijon Potatoes

Not thrilled about grilling outside, it's cold here too... brrrrr.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Wednesday nite's dinner by farnfam (Have a nice cabbage ...)
We called them "pigs in a blanket". Dad always made them. Browned ground beef, pork, and rice with a little tomato paste mixed in, spices, onion. Layered in a casserole or roaster, laid some sauerkraut over, tomato sauce poured over and baked until bubbly hot.

Then when I got married (he was Polish) his family "corrected" me -- they called them "ga-lump-keys". His mother made them pretty much the same only she also used veal in them with the beef and pork. Haven't had them in a looooong while. May have to make them soon!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Wednesday nite's dinner by MUSICMAKER (We called them "pigs...)
Chicken stuffed with goat cheese & basil (have extra from Monday's pasta dish), roasted red potatoes and a salad.

My grocery bill is staggering so I'm trying to cook more wisely - instead of throwing away half of some ingredients I used (like fresh herbs or some kind of cheese) I'm trying to come up with recipes that can use up some of those leftover ingredients. I can't tell you how much stuff I wind up throwing out every week and it's really bugging me.
  Re: Re: Wednesday nite's dinner by Trixxee (Chicken stuffed with...)
Trixxee, do you have master cook program? A lot of times when I have an ingredient I need a new idea how to use, I just type in that ingred. in the search. Lots of great ideas.

This is from Share a Recipe Cookbook.....

CABBAGE ROLLS
Serving Size : 6

1 egg
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 c finely chopped onion
2/3 c milk
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
3/4 c cooked rice
6 lg cabbage leaves
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice

In a bowl combine egg, 1 tsp. salt, dash pepper, Worcestershire, onion, & milk; mix well.
Add beef, pork, & rice; beat together with fork.
Immerse cabbage leaves in boiling water for 3 minutes or just till limp; drain.
Heavy center vein of leaf may be slit about 2 1/2 ".
Place 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides & roll ends over meat.
Place rolls in 12X7-1/2X2-inch baking dish.

Blend together soup, brown sugar, and lemon juice; pour over cabbage rolls.
Bake in 350° oven for 1 1/4 hours.
Baste once or twice with sauce.

------ Sounds like yours, cis.

oh, Laura's ahead of me with the review dinner - got the ingred. yesterday, so will do tomorrow and Friday.

We're adding some corn to Monday's clam chowder for some corn chowder. didn't get 18 hour bread done, but there is surely some in the freezer.

All those darn cookies are mailed now, so I can't ruin my dinner tonight like last night.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday nite's dinner by Trixxee (Chicken stuffed with...)
Quote:

Chicken stuffed with goat cheese & basil

<Drool!>
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?