C@H Book Club?????
  Re: (...)
What does everyone think about a C@H book club? The more I think about it, the better I like the idea and I’m sure there are a lot of book lover’s around here. I, for one, always have a book going.

We could keep it pretty loose, but how about some guidelines that anyone interested in would like to see in place?
- a couple months allowed for reading time
- we all don’t have to do every book – me for one will be skipping any Nobokov, Garcia, etc. choices
- We all have a short list of books ready to be recommended so when it’s time, someone can jump in and give their choice?

What other ideas are out there?

Just to start us off, and I’ll be quiet after this book (for a while…) and let others choose, how about Judith Jones’ The Tenth Muse? She was an editor at Knopf for years and “is credited with discovering Julia Child and (worked with) James Beard.”

I’ll bet she has some stories to tell. I’ll just toss this one out there to start us out in the food venue and go from there.

What’s everyone think? I've never been in a book club, so those who have can kinda get us started on the ins and outs?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: C@H Book Club????? by cjs (What does everyone t...)
As a voracious reader, I would find it interesting, but my selection is very limited here, unless it is something I can get as an ebook online. Most free ebooks are older works that are already in the public domain, not the current bestsellers (but many of those ARE available, for a price). There is local book exchange, mostly for us gringos, that has quite a selection, but most of those would be somewhere in the middle ground - not public domain, but not the absolute latest.

Among the books I brought with me, are:
  • Crime and Punishment (Pevear/Volokhonsky translation)
  • The Brothers Karamazov (Pevear/Volokhonsky translation)
  • Anna Karenina (Pevear/Volokhonsky translation)
  • The Eternal Husband, and Other Stories (Pevear/Volokhonsky translation)
  • The Complete Shakespeare
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes
  • Cancer Ward
  • The House of the Seven Gables
  • The Complete Novels of Maupassant
  • The Complete Short Stories of Maupassant
  • The Stories of O Henry
  • The Works of Christina Rosetti
  • The Phantom Tollbooth
  • The Complete Works of Francis Schaeffer (I'll leave out most of the rest of the theological stuff for now, but Schaeffer is a must, especially his first three books: The God Who is There, Escape from Reason, and He is There and He is Not Silent).

There are more, but those are just what come to mind right now, and those do not include the ebooks I have on my Palm Pilot, such as Les Miserables (unabridged), Sense and Sensibility, Anne of Green Gables, Last of the Mohicans, Heart of Darkness, et al.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Honestly, I have been thinking of book clubs lately. I used to read a lot, but seldom have quiet time these days to read. I would be willing to give it a try. As far as a list of books? I'd just be happy if someone else picked it so I didn't have to.

Oprah's book list always appeals to me.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: C@H Book Club????? by luvnit (Honestly, I have bee...)
I think it's a great idea, but, I have so many half read and unread books, I think I should start with them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: C@H Book Club????? by Lorraine (I think it's a great...)
Oh my----too many books out there---

I think we should have a little more input from other interested parties before we decide.

Labs---that is a GREAT list and I have read ALL of them---they may be a bit too heavy for our first choice--IMHO!!!

The problem here is we need to know a bit more about what we love to read and what knowledge/info we would like to walk away with......my interests are so varied that I can read ANYTHING except Ulysses---could never finish (or understand). That was the only work that I could not finish---even with the synopsis explanations---could not get my head around that one!!

I'm open for anything!!! The Tenth Muse?? gonna look into that one---smile
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
It may be a good idea for the winter months, when our schedules are "somewhat" lighter. And for readings, perhaps stick to short novels vs. encyclopedias????

Perhaps someone could also start a poll here, asking such questions as what your fav read is, mystery? fiction? etc., would you be able to read something daily? every other day? etc., how many hours or how much time would you be able to spend reading daily? 30 min, 60 min, etc. I will do the poll, keep record/count of the answers, etc., if nobody else will, BUT would like to field in there any questions any of YOU would want answered, too.

That feature is here for us, why not UTILIZE it??!!??
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: C@H Book Club????? by MUSICMAKER (It may be a good ide...)
Okay, Musicmaker!!! I second the nomination!!!! You are the gal!!!

Now---how do we go about taking that poll???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: C@H Book Club????? by Roxanne 21 (Okay, Musicmaker!!! ...)
Quote:

Now---how do we go about taking that poll???

I need a list of questions you want asked....list your questions here or PM them, I'll put them all together and when have everything, will start another post, specifically for this. After so many days or when I see that everyone pretty much has participated/answered the poll, will post the results under that thread.

So, start listing....even if only one, or 100!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: C@H Book Club????? by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here are some things for interested folks to consider....

I googled virtual book clubs and there are quite a few out there. The robust sites seem to have a site owner who keeps it going. Here's one that looks well done IMHO. http://www.laurierking.com/vbulletin/

We could ask the moderators of this forum to establish a second thread called Cuisine Book Club so it is separated from this cooking thread to avoid confusion, especially for newcomers to the forum.

Determine the types of books... For this group, a cooking theme would seem appropriate, but it's not necessary to restrict the types.

Determine how titles are selected. The routine that has stuck in my group is the hostess proposes 3-4 titles ahead of the meeting, members look for reviews and comments from friends, and we vote when we get together on the last Wednesday of the month. We set the hostess rotation at the beginning of each year and people swap dates if conflicts come up. The book chosen at a meeting will be discussed at the meeting two months from now. So for example in November, the book for January is selected. This way everyone has a chance to influence the choice to books she wants to read.

Other guidelines... If more than 2 people have already read the book, it is eliminated. We only choose books that are available in paperback. We don't care if you come to the meeting without having read or finished the book... you'll get some grief about it, but it's not a big deal.... but, you can't complain about the discussion spoiling the ending for you! We also keep a traveling journal that the hostess writes in ... who was there, the book, what we said about it, what was for dinner, etc.

This could be a lot of fun... I'd be interested in participating.
  Re: Re: C@H Book Club????? by HomeCulinarian (Here are some things...)
Sounds like a very fun idea to me too. We all have a lot in common here and sharing about a book we've all read should be enriching. Thanks for taking the time to look into this HC
Cis
Empress for Life