Avacado
  Re: (...)
You better buy them fast. I heard this morning on the news about all the avacado trees that burned up in the California fires. I bet the price will sky rocket. Who knows about the other produce and fruit.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Avacado by esgunn (You better buy them ...)
Pity I don't like avocados that much, since they are plentiful here, and my doctor friend has a big avocado tree in his backyard. He also has a mango tree and a guanĂ¡bana tree, and those are more my speed.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Avacado by labradors (Pity I don't like av...)
In the wonderful book, The Late Great State of California, it tells a wonderful history of Calif.(that you don't learn in school) and the premise is the state falls into the ocean and how the rest of the world is affected by this.
And, it's amazing what would happen.

If you ever find the book, it's a wonderful read.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Avacado by cjs (In the wonderful boo...)
Quote:

... the state falls into the ocean and how the rest of the world is affected by this.

Well, for one thing, the entire Pacific ocean would slide more to the left.
  Re: Re: Avacado by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
food-wise, s.a.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Avacado by cjs (food-wise, s.a. [img...)
Quote:

food-wise, s.a.

No more "fusion" cuisine, for one thing.
  Re: Re: Avacado by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Avocados are very readily available here too!!! AND we love them!!! I try to use them frequently--at least X2 per week!!! Nice in a salad or a club sandwich!!! Great with any type of shrimp dish---YUMMM!!! They are also pretty inexpensive---

SOOOOO what about the rest of the Southern Californian crops??? Can't imagine what will happen with the market there---GEESH!!!! ORANGES?? LEMONS?? WHHHAAAAA!!!!!

Almost forgot----GRAPES????? (And the vineyards---NO WAYYYYY) Maybe OLIVES----where does it end???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Avacado by Roxanne 21 (Avocados are very re...)
Oh Roxanne, do you like crab? If you do I have a wonderful recipe for pasta, avacado and crab.

Linguine, Crab, and Avocado with Scallion Vinaigrette
A pastel scallion sauce dresses the delicate crabmeat and creamy avocado, making a wonderful and sensuous main dish that's also elegant enough to be a first course at your next dinner party.

It is a hot pasta dish (not spicy, just not a cold pasta). It is simply luscious, IMHO, with a nice glass of wine. I haven't made it in a while.

I better run out and get some avacados before the stampede.

Here is the recipe for anyone that wants it. I pairs well with an acidic white wine such as somehting from the Loire region in France. Try either a Sancerre (sauvignon blanc grape) or Savennieres (chenin blanc grape).

Linguine, Crab, and Avocado with Scallion Vinaigrette

2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
2 scallions, white and light-green parts chopped, dark-green tops sliced
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/3 cup cooking oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest (from about 1/2 lemon)
1 avocado, preferably Hass
3/4 pound linguine
1/2 pound lump crab meat, picked free of shell

In a blender, combine the ginger, lemon juice, vinegar, the chopped scallions, the soy sauce, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Blend until smooth, then stir in the lemon zest. Cut the avocado into 1/2-inch dice and add to the scallion vinaigrette.

In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the linguine until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss it with the vinaigrette and avocado and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Gently fold in the crabmeat. Sprinkle with the sliced scallion tops. Serve warm.

TEST-KITCHEN TIP

As soon as the avocado is diced, put it into the vinaigrette. The acidity of the lemon juice and the vinegar will keep the avocado from browning if dinner is delayed.

[Image: RE_qfspas081v.jpg]
The photo does not do the dish justice. It is a wonderful pasta dish. One of the very best I have had.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Avacado by esgunn (You better buy them ...)
esgunn - Took your advice and picked up some avocado's at Trader Joe's today. To my surprise they were really cheap - $2.29 for 5. I have never seen them that inexpensive. Tomorrow's price could be a different story!
  Re: Re: Avacado by Trixxee (esgunn - Took your a...)
Oh my, doesn't that look/sound wonderful - duly copied!!
www.achefsjourney.com