ISO - Ginger Bread Cookie Recipe
  Re: (...)
Ok I'm looking for a good ginger bread cookie recipe. I want to be able to roll out the dough and cut into the shapes I want. But after baking I want them to be chewy, not snap or be hard.

My thought was to add an extra egg yolk (no white) to the dough to give it more moisture.

Oh and if you have a good Snickerdoodle one I'd love that too!

Thanks!
  Re: ISO - Ginger Bread Cookie Recipe by DFen911 (Ok I'm looking for a...)
Will research that---tons of recipes here!!!

Keep well, sweetie!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Quote:

Ok I'm looking for a good ginger bread cookie recipe. But after baking I want them to be chewy, not snap or be hard.

My thought was to add an extra egg yolk (no white) to the dough to give it more moisture.

No, no, Denise...not another yolk. Here is a baking secret: If you want ANY cookie to remain soft and chewy, add one TABLESPOON of clear Karyo corn syrup to your wet ingredients. That's it. Continue with your recipe as written, including baking.

Have a fantastic snickerdoodle recipe for you, too. Will get it out and post for you tomorrow. Oh, and Jean, forgot I had a recipe for cardomon cookies, your fav spice. Will post that for you tomorrow, too.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
This is my favorite ginger cookie. Have been making it for years and we love it because the cookies are soft (and delicious). Have never tried rolling out the dough, but don't know why you couldn't.

MOLASSES COOKIES

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Melt shortening. Stir in sugar and molasses. Add egg, beating very well. Add baking soda, flour, cloves, ginger and cinnamon. Mix until well blended. Chill dough a few minutes. Shape dough into size of small walnuts and roll in sugar. Place on greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.

Bake at 375 degrees 10 to 12 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes before removing from baking sheet. Place cookies on rack to cool.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Shannon
  Re: Re: ISO - Ginger Bread Cookie Recipe by Dismc (This is my favorite ...)
this one seems similar. I just put it in my cookbook today.

Molasses Crinkles

¾ cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 beaten egg
¼ cup molasses
2 ¼ cups flour
¼ t. salt
2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
½ t. ground cloves
granulated sugar

Mix together all ingredients except granulated sugar. Chill 4 hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 375. Shape in balls the size of walnuts and dip one side in granulated sugar. Place sugared side up on greased cookie sheet 2 to 3 inches apart. Sprinkle each with 2-3 drops of water. Bake 10-12 minutes.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: ISO - Ginger Bread Cookie Recipe by luvnit (this one seems simil...)
Laura, you beat me to it, that's my tried and true I've been using for 26 years! Even Picky likes itSmile

PJ

I don't sprinkle with water, though, I wonder what that does? Aids in the cracking, or crinkling, perhaps?
PJ
  Re: Re: ISO - Ginger Bread Cookie Recipe by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The only cookie I have a problem with (staying soft) is oatmeal. Thanks for the tip, Linda, maybe now I can go back to making those!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: ISO - Ginger Bread Cookie Recipe by pjcooks (Laura, you beat me t...)
Except for the sugar and the dipping in the water (??? why??), that recipe is the same as the one for the ginger snaps!

Yeah, PJ, give the corn syrup a try. You'll be surprised! We love chewy oatmeal cookies around here!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: ISO - Ginger Bread Cookie Recipe by pjcooks (Laura, you beat me t...)
I just looked it up on the internet. Sprinkling water is what makes the crinkles! Now after 26 years you know!

That's interesting. I like cooking facts like that.

And this is actually my mother-in-law's tried and true recipe. Probably from her 'very old' Better Crocker cookbook. Or maybe it's Pillsbury.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: ISO - Ginger Bread Cookie Recipe by luvnit (I just looked it up ...)
I don't sprinkle my chocolate crinkles...they crackel just fine. Roll dough into balls and roll in powdered sugar. Bake. YUM! Will have to try the molasses ones. What a great addition to my christmas cookies!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.