Smoked Bacon
  Re: (...)
The Butcher's Block I used to get my meats from is under new owners and frankly their stuff is expensive and it sucks! I was wondering if anyone had used a Lil' Chief smoker and tried to smoke their own bacon? I bought a smoker box for my gas grill, but haven't the foggiest on how to proceed to even try smoking bacon on there. Any suggestions? We have a Lil' Chief, but I know zip about it other than they use it for jerky and smoked salmon [yuk]
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Smoked Bacon by bjcotton (The Butcher's Block ...)
Billy, we bought a Brinkmann smoker this summer and have used it several times for ribs, brisket, and chicken. Hadn't thought of using it for bacon, but that's certainly interesting.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Read this Billy if you want to try it on a small batch I can write it up for you to do with the little smoker.

Bacon Makin
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
Oh Billy, that was the one who did double, triple, etc. smoked bacon???? I remember having some of that - what a shame they are gone.

I grabbed this recipe a while back because I've been wanting to make some myself and thot I'd give it a try this winter - haven't done it yet, but maybe if you don't do some first we can try it when you come up?

Homemade Bacon Recipe - SMOKED

Easy Homemade Bacon Recipe
Making your own bacon at home is a fairly simple process. You have the ability to make a bacon that's leaner than store bought bacon, plus you're able to flavor it the way you like. It can be made heavy on the brown sugar, with lots of cracked black pepper, or even with red pepper flakes. That'll really wake you up in the morning!

In this recipe the bacon is made from a section of boneless pork loin. You'll need...

One 4 pound boneless pork loin
One-half cup dark brown sugar
One-half cup Tender Quick® Meat Curing Mix
One tablespoon coarse ground black pepper

Rinse the pork loin, trim off the excess fat and rub in the black pepper, covering all sides. Next, press the Tender Quick® curing mix onto the loin. And after that, the brown sugar. Place the loin in a large plastic food storage container or food storage bag and refrigerate for four days, turning over once each day.

After the fourth day, rinse off the cure and sugar, then dry the loin off with paper towels. Allow the now-cured pork to air dry while you prepare the smoker.

Smokin' Bacon

The next step of the homemade bacon recipe is to smoke the cured pork loin in a cold smoker for 4 to 6 hours, depending on how smoky you want your bacon to taste. You can smoke the bacon in a hot smoker, but try to keep the smoker temperature below 200 degrees Fahrenheit. And remove the pork when it reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit. You don't want it to cook in the smoker. It just needs to get some smoke flavor.

After smoking, wrap the bacon in plastic wrap, then in foil, and refrigerate for at least two days before slicing and frying as you would regular store bought bacon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Bacon by cjs (Oh Billy, that was t...)
I was thinking of doing it with pork belly.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Smoked Bacon by Lorraine (I was thinking of do...)
I think I would also. I sure wish I'd been retired (read had time) when I was raising pigs - this would have been fun to play with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Bacon by cjs (I think I would also...)
Thank you for posting that! Sounds like a fun project for the smoker this winter! I'm with the pork belly too, and perhaps a turkey breast for Jennifer. That "turkey bacon" in the store is just plain nasty - and I've never seen a part of a turkey that looks like that! Ick.

OH! Where do you find the curing mix???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smoked Bacon by Harborwitch (Thank you for postin...)
We use Morton's. I used to buy it online from a company in Calgary, but now the store that sells the pork bellies sometimes carries it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Smoked Bacon by Harborwitch (Thank you for postin...)
Sharon, my hubbie found Morton's cure at a meat store.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smoked Bacon by Mare749 (Sharon, my hubbie fo...)
Check your smoke alarms are not too sensitive before you launch into the exercise. ;Þ Stuff can happen, especially if you have a Grade 7 fire protection system like us.