Bread Pudding Idea
  Re: (...)
I'm posting this picture because it's getting to be the holiday season and some of you might like to add something like this to a dinner party.

One of the courses I'm doing for the dinner party is "Leeks Three Ways" and serving very small portions. They are Bread pudding (cut in square), Vichyssoise (in the demitasse cup) and Leeks Mimosa with hazelnuts (they will look like straws in the center of the plate-I hope I can get a good picture of it Saturday.)

All three dishes can be done ahead of time, so it's a real easy for a dinner party. And the presentation is going to be nice also.

[Image: breadpudding.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bread Pudding Idea by cjs (I'm posting this pic...)
And what is that bread pudding recipe??? Ya know better than to post a pic like that without the steps to make it---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
What a great idea, Jean. It looks fabulous already! And if you'd care to share the bread pudding recipe...... I think the contrast of flavours and textures will work really well. Looking forward to seeing the finished one!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Nice presentation, Jean. I'm a big fan of savory bread puddings and yours sounds great.

Having lots of fun, aren't you? I hope someday I can do things of this nature, lots of space to be creative and no pressure to feed the masses!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding Idea by pjcooks (Nice presentation, J...)
I love the idea of trying small portions in this way. This looks very appetizing as well. I think you can be quite certain that those dishes will be a hit. Hope you will share that bread pudding recipe also.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding Idea by Mare749 (I love the idea of t...)
Here's the recipe - looks like I got it from chefs.com at some time....it's sure tasty.

Parmesan-Leek Bread Pudding

Serving Size : 8

3 tablespoons butter
3 leeks\raw -- white part only, sliced and washed
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 loaf Italian bread -- torn into 1 inch pieces

In a sauté pan over medium heat, gently soften the leeks in butter.
After the leeks are tender, remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, half-and-half, eggs, seasonings, and cheese.

Stir in bread and leeks.
Pour mixture into a large baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes.

--------

Maryann, I'm with you - it's been ages since we've ordered a 'dinner' in a restaurant, we always go for the appetizers and make a meal that way. So much less food, plus the $$$ savings is ridiculous!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding Idea by cjs (Here's the recipe - ...)
Definitely need to try this. The leeks here are not only very good, they're also much less costly than in the States.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding Idea by labradors (Definitely need to t...)
Same here, this is a definite for me too. Sounds great!

Jean, I'm glad we're not the only ones who prefer to order appy's! Other times, we order 1 appy, 1 dinner, and 2 salads, unless the soup looks good, then I have to have that. The restaurants must be used to this because they are always very nice about it.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
And the secret ingredient is LEEKS!!!!!

[Image: leeks.jpg]

Iron Chef Jean has plated her dishes in the Leek Competition and is showing a wonderful Leek Bread Pudding and Vichyssoise in a demitasse cup.

[Image: ironchef.jpg]
Who will reign supreme. Who will be the next Iron Chef!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Bread Pudding Idea by luvnit (And the secret ingre...)
Don't have my own photos for any of these, but how about:

[Image: chickenleekmushroompiessi2.jpg]
Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pies (converted from a metric recipe)

Ingredients
  • 1 Stick + 1 Tbs Butter
  • 3 small chicken breast fillets
  • 1 leek, trimmed, halved lengthways, washed & finely sliced
  • 4 Oz shiitake mushrooms, trimmed & sliced
  • 8 Oz Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
  • 4 Oz enoki mushrooms, trimmed & separated
  • 1/2 Cup plain flour
  • 1 Cup milk
  • 1 Cup chicken stock
  • salt & ground black pepper, to taste
  • olive oil, for greasing
  • 4 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
Instructions
  1. Melt 1 tbs butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken & cook for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove to a board to cool for 5 minutes. Roughly chop the chicken.
  2. Add the leek & shiitake & Swiss Brown mushrooms to the pan & cook, stirring often, over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Gently toss through the enoki mushrooms. Remove from heat & set aside.
  3. Melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add the flour & cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Combine the milk & stock & gradually whisk into the flour mixture until the sauce comes to the boil. Stir in the mushroom mixture & chopped chicken. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside to cool.
  4. Preheat an oven to 430F.
  5. Grease 4x2 cup heatproof bowls or ramekins with olive oil. Spoon the chicken & mushroom mixture into the bowls.
  6. Place the pastry sheets onto a clean work surface to partially thaw. Using the top of the bowl as a guide, cut a pastry disc about 3/4" larger than the bowl from each pastry sheet. Lightly brush the rims of the bowls with water. Top bowls with a pastry disc & press the pastry against the rim of the bowl to seal.
  7. Lightly brush the pastry with beaten egg & cut a small cross in the top of each pie. Bake the pies for 25 minutes or until puffed & golden.

Code:
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+[br]|                          Butternut Squash and Leek Soup                      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]|      Ingredients     |   Qty.   |                  Instructions              |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Butternut squash,    | 4 1/2 Lb | Place, cut side down, onto a baking sheet.    |[br]| halved lengthwise    |          | Bake at 350º until tender, about 40 minutes,  |[br]|                      |          | depending upon size of squash.  Let cool      |[br]|                      |          | slightly.  Using a spoon, scrape out and      |[br]|                      |          | discard the seeds.  Scrape the squash from    |[br]|                      |          | the skin.                                      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Unsalted butter      |   5 T    | Melt in a Dutch oven, over low heat.      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Leeks (white and     |   4 Lg   | Add to pot and cover.  Cook on low, stirring  |[br]| light green chopped) |          | occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, |[br]| Fresh thyme          | 7 Sprigs | about 40 minutes.  Remove thyme sprigs.      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Chicken stock        |   5 C    | Stir in to pot.  Stir in squash.  Simmer over |[br]|                      |          | moderate heat for 20 minutes.              |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Salt                 | 1 1/4 t  | In a blender or food processor, purée soup in |[br]| Freshly ground black |  1/2 t   | batches until smooth.  Pour back into pot and |[br]| pepper               |          | season.                                       |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Sour cream           |  1/2 C   | To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish   |[br]| Green onion tops or  |   3 T    | each serving with 1 T of sour cream, 1 T of   |[br]| chives, chopped      |          | green onions, and a sprinkling of bacon bits. |[br]| Bacon, fried or      | 8 Slices |                                               |[br]| broiled, crumbled    |          |                                               |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+

Grilled Braised Leeks

Ingredients
  • 4 large leeks, dark green sections removed
  • 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
  • Heavy pinch kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • Crumbled bacon and goat cheese, as an accompaniment, optional
Instructions

Preheat grill to high. Cut each leek in half lengthwise and rinse thoroughly to remove all dirt and sand. Pat dry. Brush the cut side of each leek half with the bacon drippings and sprinkle with kosher salt. Grill over direct, high heat, cut side down, with lid closed, approximately 6 to 7 minutes or until grill marks appear. Remove the leeks to a sheet of aluminum foil and lay cut side up. Brush the leeks with balsamic vinegar. Reassemble the leek halves together, wrap tightly in foil, and set back on the grill away from direct heat for 10 to 12 minutes.

Remove the leeks from the foil and serve immediately, as is or with crumbled bacon and goat cheese.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?