Cheddar, Bacon, and Scallion Souffle

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Eggs-Dairy-Breakfast

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 slices lean bacon -- cooked, drained, reserving 2 tablespoons of the fat, and crumbled
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups milk
cayenne to taste
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Cheddar (about 6 ounces)
4 large eggs -- separated

In a small heavy saucepan cook the scallion in the butter and the reserved bacon fat over moderately low heat, stirring, until the scallion is softened, stir in the flour, and cook the roux stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the milk in a stream, whisking, and boil the mixture, whisking, for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cayenne, the Cheddar, and salt and pepper to taste, whisking until the cheese is melted. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition, and whisk in the bacon. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, whisk about one fourth of them into the cheese mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a buttered 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish and bake the soufflé in the middle of a preheated 375°F. oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden. Serve the soufflé immediately.

Source:
"Gourmet | September 1991"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: My First Souffle by bjcotton (Here is my first sou...)
. . . and there was, between 3 people, nary a crumb left! It was sooooooo good. Don't ya'll wish you were here??????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My First Souffle by Harborwitch (. . . and there was,...)
Yes I do, Sharon! What a great job, Billy. I can't remember ever making one of these, maybe once. Happy to hear you're all having a great time!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: My First Souffle by pjcooks (Yes I do, Sharon! W...)
That looks fantastic, Billy. I really have to make one now. It looks like it would just melt in your mouth. What did you have with it, any meat or veg?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: My First Souffle by Mare749 (That looks fantastic...)
It was brunch - would have been perfect with champagne or a great bloody mary.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My First Souffle by Harborwitch (It was brunch - woul...)
I am so spiffingly proud of you Billy. That looks marvelous. ;Þ
Hey there - look what you did!!! And think of all the years you've wasted being apprehensive about making one. Three cheers and I'll have champagne with mine, if you please.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh my! That looks like heaven!!
I've always wanted to make one but have been afraid! Maybe I'll try it now. Any tips?
  Re: Re: My First Souffle by Lisa152 (Oh my! That looks li...)
About the only tips I have about making anything Lisa from working with Jean, Sharon, and a few others is to just DO IT and follow the directions. If it doesn't turn out, don't be too upset. Fortunately the people here have just encouraged me to try things I've never done before, haven't flopped yet.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: My First Souffle by bjcotton (About the only tips ...)
Lisa, just remember to have fun with food!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com