Freezer friendly meals?
  Re: (...)
My father in law who recently has become divorced had open heart surgery on Friday. We are going to visit him for a week and I would like to fill his freezer full of meals that are already cooked, portioned and ready to go. His wife was the one that did all the cooking so his freezer is full of tv dinners. Any ideas/recipes that freeze well???
  Re: Freezer friendly meals? by Lisa152 (My father in law who...)
Soups and stews are great for portion freezing so long as they aren't cream based.

That is very thoughtful of you to help your father-in-law through this doubly difficult time.
  Re: Re: Freezer friendly meals? by HomeCulinarian (Soups and stews are ...)
Do you have a foodsaver? This would be a perfect use...Everything can be reheated in microwave or boil bag type with foodsaver bags.

* Meat Loaf - either cooked in muffin tin or Slices and frozen.
* Spaghetti sauce
* soups
* chili
* shredded chicken, beef or pork cooked to use in tacos or bbq sandwiches.
* Enchiladas
* Lasagnas - chicken with cream sauce or traditional
* meatballs - traditional, sweedish, asian, italian - can be used in tomato sauce, meatball subs, asian noodle soups, With rice or noodles.
* Grilled meats - chicken, pork chops, steak
* Mashed potaoes
* cooked rice white or brown - works best boil in bag
* Cooked spaghetti or other noodles - boil in bag
* Pizzas ready to bake or slices cooked ready to be reaheated.
Purchased bags of frozen vegies.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Freezer friendly meals? by esgunn (Do you have a foodsa...)
Lisa, I'm so glad others are coming to your aid, I started to post some this a.m., but I got so busy I had to stop. Great ideas, Erin! (I still owe you some triplet-friendly ideas.... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freezer friendly meals? by esgunn (Do you have a foodsa...)
Erin's right on with this one. Lisa! Only thing I have to add is anything that is liquidy (is that a word?) should be partially frozen first, so the vac doesn't suck up all the liquid and prevent sealing.

Good idea, Erin, use mine all the time!

PJ

Lisa, what a nice thing you are doing for your Dad, hope everything turns out okay!
PJ