1 Large Roast = 3 meals
  Re: (...)
I have a 5-6 lb. chuck roast that I plan on making in the next day or two. It's so big, but I remember a recipe where you started with a large roast and had Pot Roast the first night. Then their were two more recipes to help finish off the leftovers.

Has anyone heard of this or have any ideas for leftovers to make?

The only thing I can think of is:

Recipe 1: Pot Roast
Recipe 2: French Dip Sandwiches
Recipe 3: Beef Stroganoff

This all sounds fine, but I was hoping for a 'fresh idea' from you all.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by luvnit (I have a 5-6 lb. chu...)
I do this quite often -

BRAISED BEEF WITH MUSHROOMS & BARLEY

3 lbs beef chuck roast -- trimmed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 ozs mushrooms -- cremini or white
1 med onion -- chopped
3 lg garlic cloves -- crushed
1 1/4 cup beef broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup pearly barley -- medium
1 cup green peas -- frozen & thawed

Heat oil over med. heat in dutch oven till hot.
Add beef; brown evenly; remove from pan.
Season w/s&p. In same pan, add mushrooms, onion & garlic.

Cook & stir 6-8 min. or till lightly browned.
Add beef, broth & bay leaf.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover & simmer 1 1/2 hours.
Add barley; cover and continue simmering 45-60 min. or til beef & barley are tender.

Remove beef to cutting board; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Add peas to barley mix. Cook & stir 3 min. or till heated thru. Slice beef into thin slices; serve w/barley mixture.

NOTES : 2nd nite - make Beef & Onion Soup - 7-day menu, Serves 8

-------

BEEF & ONION SOUP (L/OS FROM BRAISED BEEF WITH MUSHROOMS & BARLEY)

1 large onion -- chopped
2 T. a.p. flour
3 cans beef broth -- (14 1/3 oz. each)
Swiss cheese for garnish
Leftovers from the Beef and Barley

In a large nonstick skillet coated w/Pam, cook onion 4 min.; sprinkle with flour, mix well & continue cooking 5 more min. or till onions are softened.

In another pan, heat the cans beef broth.
Heat thru. Add broth to the onions; add slices of leftover beef and barley mixture - heat just until heated through.
When ready to serve, ladle soup into bowls & drop 1 cube Swiss cheese into each bowl.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and anything leftover from this one, French dip sandwiches!!

You are making me sooooo hungry!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by cjs (I do this quite ofte...)
I love braising. That's a wonderful idea. My hubby loves barley too. Your soup recipe looks really good. I love to make French Onion soup [Gratinee Lyonnaise] and this has a very similar tone. Great fall recipes. Thanks!
Laura
  Re: Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by luvnit (I love braising. Tha...)
Thanks Jean, we love beef and barley soup. Ron is going to be in heaven this month with all this beef!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, we love...)
We love hot roast beef sandwiches. Put beef slices over toast and cover with sauteed caramalized onions, covered with a brown sauce made from reduced beef stock, some type of lipid like lard, a little flour, and water (we call it faux gravey when made like this). Great with sliced tomatoes. You could also try a packaged gravey mix.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by Old Bay (We love hot roast be...)
The obvious is cottage pie of course. Mince beef, mix with small cut veg of choice, celery, carrot onions, etc, heat with gravy and top with mashed potatoes. Bake until potato swirled tops are well browned and the potato valleys are light brown. Serve with salad.

Cakes, minced & mixed with whatever is in the fridge, to bind, shallow fry, or dry fry if you trust your pan.

Cobs, as cakes, use as above for cakes, but nice with chopped mung sp. and some soy in the mix, or hoi sin, shape to cobs, flour egg bread crumb.

Add the herbs you like recklously, to any mixture you make. Boil bone for stock, if there is one. Give boiled bone to Luncheon (the Pig) he will find hidden marrow and bits.

Make a strata casserole with meat and veg, with gravy. There never seems enough l/o in our house.
  Re: Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by vannin (The obvious is cotta...)
Quote:

Make a strata casserole with meat and veg, with gravy. There never seems enough l/o in our house.

Hmmm...if you really had many different layers, would you call that a Strata-Various?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by luvnit (I have a 5-6 lb. chu...)
I like making hash with the leftovers. Fry some onion, add some leftover diced potatoes, and diced meat. Top with a poached egg.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by Lorraine (I like making hash w...)
Isn't it great reading everyone's ideas for beef and leftover beef?
Each and every one of these sounds wonderful....maybe partly cuz it's getting on towards lunchtime here...
  Re: Re: 1 Large Roast = 3 meals by sugarbrown (Isn't it great readi...)
I agree. I love hearing everyone's ideas. They all sound so tasty! I am making my huge roast today, so this is a huge help.
Laura