C@H Tomato Jam
  Re: (...)
I made this today and wow! is it ever tasty. A little hot though, so if anybody doesn't like heat, go easy on the red pepper flakes and maybe even use a little less ginger. It cooks down a lot, I ended up slightly less than 2 cups. I can't wait to put this on a burger!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tomato Jam

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Prepare:
4 cups paste or standard tomatoes (about 6)
Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil:
1/4 cup fresh ginger -- peeled, minced
1 T. garlic -- minced
Add:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cinnamon sticks
Stir in:
Diced tomatoes
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
Off Heat -- Add:
1/4 cup honey
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare tomatoes, by first blanching them for 10 seconds then plunging them into ice water. Skin will peel off. Cut in half and squeeze out seeds. Dice and set aside.

Saute ginger and garlic in oil, in a saute pan over medium-low heat, until soft (5 minutes).

Add lemon juice and cinnamon sticks. Saute until liquid is evaporated.

Stir in tomatoes, brown sugar, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Simmer until tomato juices have evaporated (35-40 minutes). Stir often or sugar will burn. Remove from heat.

Add in honey. Season with salt and pepper.

Source:
"Tomato Jam(Cuisine, August 2001, Issue 28, p. 29)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: C@H Tomato Jam by Mare749 (I made this today an...)
I've been eyeing this one to use up some tomatoes from the pots. Thanks for the note about the red pepper flakes, always useful to those of us who have cook for the masses, so to speak!

Copied and printed!

PJ
PJ
My mom makes a different variation of tomato jam every year. She loves it. I will have to pass this on to her. I am sure it's wonderful.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: C@H Tomato Jam by pjcooks (I've been eyeing thi...)
Seems like pretty much all C@H recipes are heavy on the pepper, aren't they? Seems to be a running complaint in this forum!

Thanks for the feedback on this, Maryann!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: C@H Tomato Jam by MUSICMAKER (Seems like pretty mu...)
I don't that this recipe had too much red pepper, I probably just had a heavy hand because we like things a little bit hot and a 1/4 tsp. didn't sound like much. In all reality, it's probably just about right. I'm thinking that maybe I overdid the ginger a bit though. I minced it up and really packed it into the 1/4 cup. Next time, I think I'll just loosely pack it. With those two adjustments, I'm thinking this will be even better.
Maryann

Re: Re: C@H Tomato Jam by Mare749 (I don't that this re...)
Yes, Maryann, ginger can pack a punch. I found that out when I first made those ginger snap cookies, the recipe I gave you (did you ever make those, BTW?) I thought the recipe needed more ginger before ever making them even once! Threw them away. That extra "little bit" can be a "little bit" too much sometimes!

Glad to know this because I've been eyeing the recipe for a while! Thanks!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: C@H Tomato Jam by MUSICMAKER (Yes, Maryann, ginger...)
Linda, I was planning to make those cookies today. Thought I had everything, then found out I didn't have molasses. So, as soon as I go shopping again, I'll pick some up. I'll let you know when I make them. Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: C@H Tomato Jam by Mare749 (Linda, I was plannin...)
hmmm, Maryann, this sounds really good. What options tho - paste or whole?? good flavors.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks for the review, Maryann. Sounds great, and would make great Christmas gifts. That is, if I was canning this year.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: C@H Tomato Jam by cjs (hmmm, Maryann, this ...)
Quote:

hmmm, Maryann, this sounds really good. What options tho - paste or whole?? good flavors.

Jean, that confused me also. I have so many tomatoes all the sudden that I decided to try this with what I had. So, I just followed the directions for peeling, then chopped them up and let them drain for a bit. That worked out just fine and the time frame was exactly right in the recipe.
Maryann