18 Hour Bread Revisited
  Re: (...)
A batch of 18 hour bread is 'working' on the counter and I swear it has never smelled so good!! I added 1 tsp. of each: garlic & onion powders, dried basil & oregano to the batch this time and my word, when I walked in the kitchen, it smelled like a pizza parlor in here!!!! And I have to wait until 4 p.m. to get into it?????????

P.S. What other goodies have you all added to this????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 18 Hour Bread Revisited by cjs (A batch of 18 hour b...)
parmesean cheese @ 1/2cup

Adobe seasoning 2tsp (more or less)
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
This is one recipe that I make, my mother makes and my grandmother makes. We have all used different flours and find that regular bread flour works best to get the best crust. I prefer cornmeal and some kosher salt on the outside.

As for inside my favorite flavoring inside: fresh ground rosemary. So fragrant and compliments many meat and pasta dishes. I love this bread! If I can find the picture of my last loaf I will try to post itTongue
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Jean, I made this variation once and it was absolutely delicious! Will be making this again. I'm glad you asked, because I forgot about it. I have also added the same flavorings you did and was real happy with the results.

Cranberry-Pecan Extraordinaire (from Breadtopia.com)
(makes 1 loaf)

1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz.) whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups (13 oz.) all purpose or bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 1/2 cups purified water
1/4 cup sourdough starter OR 1/4 tsp. instant yeast with 1/4 cup water

Combine the flours and salt
Mix the starter into the water until mostly dissolved
Mix the water/starter solution into the dry ingredients
Mix in the pecans and craisins
Cover bowl with plastic at let sit at room temperature for 18 hours
After 18 hours turn dough onto well floured surface and gently flatten enough to fold dough back onto itself a couple times to form a roundish blob. Note: This folding stage can be accomplished within the bowl, speeding up the process even further and leaving less of a cleanup.
Cover blob with plastic and let rest 15 minutes. During this rest period, coat a proofing basket or towel lined bowl with bran flakes.
Gently and quickly shape blob into an approximate ball and place in proofing basket or bowl.
Cover with a towel and let rise for 1-2 hours depending on room temperature.
As gently as possible, flip the dough into a Dutch oven or ceramic (e.g. La Cloche) baker preheated to 500F degrees and bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes at 450 degrees. See Great No-Knead Baking Techniques for more tips.
Allow bread to cool completely before slicing and eating. Warning: this most difficult step requires superhuman discipline and restraint.
You may have to adjust the baking times and temperatures to adapt to the various weights and materials of different baking containers.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Here's another variation I have not tried, but am planning to!

Parmesan-Olive (from Breadtopia.com)
(makes 1 large loaf)

This recipe makes one amazing loaf of bread. It's great for special occasions, and considering the price of ingredients, you may want to reserve it for special occasions. Use fresh parmesan cheese and it's likely you will not find this loaf's equivalent in any bakery. They would have to charge too much!

1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz.) whole wheat flour
2 2/3 cups (13 1/2 oz.) bread flour
1 tsp. salt
7 oz. grated fresh parmesan cheese
2/3 cup pitted kalamata olives (cut in half lengthwise)
1 3/4 cup purified water
1/4 cup sourdough starter OR 1/4 tsp. instant yeast in 1/4 cup water

Follow the same steps as those listed above for the Cranberry Pecan recipe. Combine the dry ingredients (including the cheese) then add to that the combined wet ingredients and then stir in the olives. The ingredient measurements are a little different than usual as the cheese is salty to start with and the dry mix takes more water than usual.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Revisited by Mare749 (Here's another varia...)
Geez, I haven't even made the plain version, let alone tried any variations. The last thing I need is more bread, except, I do have it earmarked to try on holidays.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Revisited by Lorraine (Geez, I haven't even...)
Used the same spices as you did, Jean, but also tossed in some diced pepperoni and made some pizza sauce for on the side for dipping. It was DEVOURED!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Revisited by MUSICMAKER (Used the same spices...)
O.K., you bread people out there - about using igred. such as kalamatas, pepperoni, and of the softer cheeses that should not be left out of refrigeration - this bothers the bejeesus out of me. Allowing these things to sit out for 20-22 hours.

You do it anyway? or are you adding them for the 2 hour rise? And should the dough be worked with that much?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Revisited by cjs (O.K., you bread peop...)
Added the cheese and pepperoni at the 2 hours. Didn't do anything adverse to the end result.

I would do this with "regular" bread dough recipes before getting my mitts on this recipe. Kids like the flavor of this dough better and prefer this recipe. I also made long rolls out of the dough, like a hoagie bun or hot dog bun shape because the boys know these as "pizza rolls", hence the shape. They don't stay around long enough after they are baked to cause any problems. If any are left over I will toss them in the frig or freezer and they then pull them out and either reheat in the oven, the preferred way, or if in a hurry (who isn't these days) they will toss in the micro on low to reheat.

This was originally a recipe of my great-grandmother's, who used to make "pizza bread" -- shape only. Then would cut the loaf of bread and it would be "pretty", all sprinkled with the redness of the pepperoni. She would sometimes use cheddar cheese if she had no mozzarella and that also was good. Also "pretty" with the orange specks of cheese. As a kid, those things were "important" and Nonna got a real kick out of seeing us devour the fruits of her love labour! She would get up at 3:30 or 4 in the a.m. and start her breads, rolls, meatballs, whatever, and all these wonderful aromas would waken us!!! i make bread here at 5 or 6-ish and my kids say the same things to me that we used to say to her! She just passed in December. Sure do miss her but it makes my heart happy that she can come alive in my heart and I see those same looks on my kids as we gave to her!!!

Hope this helps!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: 18 Hour Bread Revisited by Lorraine (Geez, I haven't even...)
Geez Lorraine! Even I have made this bread, that ought to tell you something about how easy it is.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy