EGGS
  Re: (...)
I was in the middle of my post on this one and then POOF---GONE!!!

I’ll try again because I would love your feedback!!

I was watching BBC Food last night—couldn’t sleep—sooooo!!

IRON CHEF was on---the first time I have ever seen this episode---GEESH—deprived AGAIN!!!

Anyway---EGGS was the secret ingredient---every possible kind, including caviar.

Wolfgang Puck was put against a HUGE Japanese guy—not sure of the spelling but I’m sure you will know who I am talking about—Maromoto ???

I was incredulous ---the dishes prepared in such a short time made my mind boggle!! The soups to the main course to dessert---wants me to go to culinary school!!! One dish would take me at least an hour to prepare---never mind a hundred!!! (exaggeration there!!)

There were several mentions of the Academy Awards dinner and of course I thought of Denise---our STAR!!!! Good on ya’ girl!!!

Wolfgang won the competition but I think that was because of his awesome pastry chef---unbelievable what she accomplished with what seemed to be so little effort---just ordinary!!

Do y’all get this program on a regular basis? Is it as good as it seems to be??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: EGGS by Roxanne 21 (I was in the middle ...)
Chef Sherry Yard is a fantastic pastry chef. Met her in Aspen a few times. Nice lady, excellent skills and willing to teach. She has a great book out.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
There is an episode on every day here via cable and sometimes several -- some episodes are different and sometimes they repeat the same episode throughout the day. Weekends they have "marathons", they play all day long, usually 12 different episodes then they repeat for the 24 hours. There is "Iron Chef" and then "Iron Chef America". Iron Chef has chefs on of which some I've never heard of. Iron Chef America is what you saw and has, obviously, American chefs, i.e. Mario Batali, Cat Cora, Bobby Flay, etc.

That oriental guy, Maharasi Morimoto (?sp) usually "wins" so i t's interesting he "lost" to "Wolf", as he is called! Glad they don't have him (Morimoto) talk too much because he is so very, very difficult to understand!

There was a "behind the scenes" program on this program and despite what appears to take place in an hour actually is longer, several, but they don't tell/show you that. The chefs actually know what the "secret" ingredient will be and they have students and sous chefs (?sp) do a lot of the prepping, which we don't see.

The MC of the show, another oriental guy whom you can understand fascinates me. . .wait until you get a glimpse of his martial art moves! Whoa, baby!!! He alone is worth the price of admission!!! . . .err, watching!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Yes, we do get Iron Chef here. It's on the food network which is one of our cable channels. I've probably seen every episode, and it is pretty amazing what they accomplish in one show. I'm always fascinated with the combinations they use and all the different ingredients, many of which I never knew existed. And of course, the presentations are always awesome, too. I've learned a lot from the show, and think that all the chefs they bring on are just great. But, since I'm not a chef, maybe I'm just easily impressed. I enjoy watching any cooking show, just wish they would put on some new ones.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Unfortunately, our cable company doesn't have the food network, so we don't see Iron Chef. Since this had Wolf up against a Japanese guy, I can't tell, was this on the original Iron Chef, or the American version? I've never seen the American version.

I've only met Wolf three of four times, but it was always a pleasure when he would visit the restaurant the check up on things. Unfortunately, he rarely did any cooking when he visited, but it was cool to be able to speak with him (though, when I first met him, I was surprised at how short he is).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: EGGS by MUSICMAKER (There is an episode ...)
This episode was IRON CHEF----not America. But the host is totally cute and it was the first time I was "introduced" to Alton Brown.

I just could not imagine how those guys--even professionals--could do those creations in just over an hour. Your revelation makes sooo much sense--now that I think about it!! Gonna watch out for more episodes---very instructive in many aspects and the innovations are spectacular--!!!
  Re: Re: EGGS by Roxanne 21 (This episode was IRO...)
Quote:

I just could not imagine how those guys--even professionals--could do those creations in just over an hour.

In a restaurant, an hour is a LONG time. With a few exceptions, and not counting poor service, when was the last time you had to wait for such a meal for an hour at a restaurant? Of course, a lot of things are prepped well ahead of time there, but I'm note sure what prepped items are available to the participants in Iron Chef.
  Re: Re: EGGS by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You have not been to a restaurant in Cape Town---an hour is about the time you get a starter!!! LOL That's probably why we don't go dining out often. Also---I know that I am an amateur, wannabe, cook--but I find that it takes a bit of time to prepare a dish--prep an' all.

I noticed a bunch of prep guys there and I'm sure that makes things move along a bit more quickly but still--some of those creations---to die for!!!

I suppose I should be in a professional kitchen sometime and learn what I'm doing---there must be tons of shortcuts. I guess I can dream though---

Looks like a lot of fun!!! AND THE PRESSURE___
  Re: Re: EGGS by Roxanne 21 (You have not been to...)
I DID say there were some exceptions. In Daytona Beach, the best Thai restaurant is known not only for its exceptional food, but also for taking a long time before you are served. In there case, they hardly have anything prepped, so it takes them a while to get everything ready for your order. Then again, only the people who are ignorant of that restaurant's reputation (and those who are just ignorant and complaining types to begin with) mind the wait, because the food is known to be well worth the wait.

For the most part, though, American restaurants are fast-paced, high-pressure environments where being a slow cook is like being the slow wildebeest at the rear of the hear when lions are near.
  Re: Re: EGGS by Roxanne 21 (This episode was IRO...)
Quote:

But the host is totally cute. . .

Hey, Roxanne. . . did you miss this -- ???!!! (hee-hee-hee!)

Quote:

The MC of the show, another oriental guy whom you can understand, fascinates me. . .wait until you get a glimpse of his martial art moves! Whoa, baby!!! He alone is worth the price of admission!!! . . .err, watching!!!

Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda