Amish Funny Cake, it's really a pie!!!
  Re: (...)
Anyone ever eat this pie or make one? I was looking for an Amish Chocolate Shoofly Pie recipe and saw a recipe for this. Just wondered if anyone has tried this. What I can tell you pour a chocolate filling in the pie crust and top with a white filling. When it bakes the chocolate sort of rises to the middle of the pie. So there is a layer of white, chocolate then white. They say the white layer is sort of like cake. Sounds interesting.
  Re: Amish Funny Cake, it's really a pie!!! by Barbarainnc (Anyone ever eat this...)
I ate a lot of it growing up as a kid in Amish country Penna. Also a large Penna dutch area.

Pass mommy across the table some pie!
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Amish Funny Cake, it's really a pie!!! by bbally (I ate a lot of it gr...)
Quote:

I ate a lot of it growing up as a kid in Amish country Penna. Also a large Penna dutch area.

While you were there, did you ever get a recipe for Moravian Cake? It seems as though it should be pretty simple, but the one recipe I tried a while back did not taste anything like the one from Achenbach's Bakery in New Holland, PA. Maybe there's is different in some way, or maybe there are regional differences, as well.

What sayest thou?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Amish Funny Cake, it's really a pie!!! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This is the one I make:

After Supper place:

2 cups of warm mashed potatoes
1 package of yeast
1 cup white sugar

in a bowl to rise for around three hours.

After the rise mix
1 egg
1 cup melted butter (warm not hot)
Add enough sifted flour to make a dough that will form into a ball

In the AM put the dough into pans, smoothing it out with the palm of the hand, as it will be too thin to roll out. Let it rise until very light, after risen make deep holes, about an inch apart.

In each hole put a tablespoon of butter, hit it with a pinch of cinnamon and 2 teaspoons light brown sugar

Bake in a 375 F oven til golden brown on top.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Amish Funny Cake, it's really a pie!!! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

What sayest thou?

Thou sayest your anglophilia is shining thru here, Labradors!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Amish Funny Cake, it's really a pie!!! by bbally (This is the one I ma...)
Quote:

This is the one I make...

Interesting. The one I tried said nothing about potatoes - it was just a simple flour-and-yeast cake. The potatoes would make sense for the difference in flavour and texture that I remember.

@Linda: In this case, the use of the older English was a nod to the Amish.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?