Grandma Shelledy's Lefse
  Re: (...)
It's a Norwegian bread, looks just like a tortilla except for the shape, my Grandma's were usually like triangles of dough she cooked on the wood stove.

My grandma made lefse for the family for all my life and probably years before that! I don't know how she kept up with us when the whole family was around her huge round kitchen table, soft butter and the sugar dish in front of us just waiting as the lefse came off her old wood stove. I know we must have eaten faster than she could cook them. This recipe is how she dictated her recipe to my sister, Joan andd me, many years ago.

I made these again the other day (while I was cooking potatoes for Lorraine's Tourtiere, I thot why not go for it) - I also wanted to 'test' the way the recipe was written. I disovered the most amazing thing - all my life I thot Grandma cooked lefse in triangles, but now I realize what she did - there were always so many of us panting for more lefse, after she cooked these circles of dough, she would portion them out in pie shapes, therefore feeding 4 or 6 of us with one lefse!!!!! It only took me 67 years to figure that one out! she'd be so proud!

Mom Shelledy's Lefse

5 large white potatoes (the old & mushy type)
2 cups sweet cream -- half & half, or milk & water (but cream is the best!)
1 tsp. salt
3 T. butter
Flour for rolling the lefse out (I made 1/2 this recipe and needed ~ 1 3/4 cups flour kneaded into the dough to make it workable)

1. Boil potatoes and mash until very fine.
2. Add cream, salt, and butter; beat until light.
3. Let cool (fairly)
4. Add flour until workable.
5. Roll out and bake on top of griddle (or wood burning stove)

More traditional instructions -

Follow above through #4 - the dough will be fairly dry, but stay together to be rolled out.
Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.

Roll the dough out into ropes and cut into 2" chunks.
[Image: LEFSEROLL.jpg]

Roll chunks into thin circles (or long ovals, or whatever) like tortillas.

Heat a griddle to about 400 F.

Place a circle of lefse on the griddle and cook until brown spots appear o the heated surface.
Flip and cook the same way on the other side.

[Image: LEFSE.jpg]

Lay cooked lefse on cooling rack as you cook the rest.

To serve: Some folks like just butter, my family always smeared the softened butter over and topped with a sprinkling of granulated sugar. Fold twice or roll into a cylinder. Eat and enjoy!!

Oh my, it's amazing the memories that come while making these - I'll have to post a picture of my Grandma, she is just the epitome of what a Grandma should always be.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by cjs (It's a Norwegian bre...)
You may not believe this, Jean, but today, at 5 a.m., son #2 wanted this in his lunch. I had two left in the freezer. He says, "Mom, you really need to find a recipe for these and make our own." Was on the web but didn't find anything. . .came to this forum and look what slaps me in the face!!! Guess that will teach me about roaming!!!

Thanks for sharing this, Jean, and the story behind this. I just love these type of recipes and the history behind them!!! Off to the kitchen now to make some of these. #2 will be pleasantly surprised when he gets home tonight!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by cjs (It's a Norwegian bre...)
Thanks for posting this, Jean. I wondered what lefse was and figured it must be some type of flatbread. Boy, does this sound yummy! Kind of like a flat potato bread, or a potato tortilla. Are you going to try these on the grill? I'll bet they would be really good that way, too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by Mare749 (Thanks for posting t...)
the lefse dough is not as sturdy as a tortilla dough, so I probably would not do on the grill, unless I used a griddle for them.

Maryann, do you remember the large grill a lot of us bot last winter (fall??) about 18" cast iron? I used it for the lefse - first time I've every used the darn thing.

wow, Linda, talk about timing, eh?? Hope your family (boys) like them as much as we do.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by cjs (the lefse dough is n...)
OMG, Jean! Made these already. These are super fantastic!!!! #2 is going to LOVE these!!! (unless I finish them off before he gets home!!!) This is something I will probably be making weekly, along with the other breads I make!

Thanks for sharing this!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by MUSICMAKER (OMG, Jean! Made the...)
I always wondered what lefse looked like. Thanks, Jean!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by MUSICMAKER (OMG, Jean! Made the...)
Wow, you don't mess around do you Linda!!! I'm glad you like them. Now you save a couple for your babes!!

These are so much more tender than those we buy.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by cjs (Wow, you don't mess ...)
Not only are they much more tender, they taste like something! I could never understand what my boys saw in the ones from the store, they taste like cardboard to me.

I had a whole one myself with the butter and sugar as you wrote and that was really something different. I can see why your grandother couldn't keep up with all of you! If #2 didn't ask for these this a.m. I wouldn't have made these or have made them so quickly! Glad I did tho and glad he asked. The timing with his asking and your putting the recipe out there is. . .spooky! Have any more of her goodies to share???

Edit
Jean, I went to lay down right now with the broken leg propped up and don't want to run to the kitchen and count, but do you know approx how many you usually get from this recipe? I know how to make them, thickness wise, and obviously diameter will vary, but was just wondering if I am in the ballpark with the quantity you get. Thanks!
  Re: Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by MUSICMAKER (Not only are they mu...)
I really meant to keep a count this time....but, we just started 'testing' and didn't quit, so will next time.....maybe
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grandma Shelledy's Lefse by cjs (the lefse dough is n...)
"Maryann, do you remember the large grill a lot of us bot last winter (fall??) about 18" cast iron? I used it for the lefse - first time I've every used the darn thing."

I do, Jean, and frankly I'm kind of surprised you haven't used it more, but then with just the two of you most of the time, you aren't cooking in the quantity that you did when the kids were at home. But, now that you have made the lefse, I'll bet you are sure glad you bought that griddle!
I'll have to try making these one day cause I know my family will like them. I'm thinking they would make great sandwiches. Would you cut them or roll them for that purpose?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."