Flowering basil
  Re: (...)
Question for all you experienced gardeners....What do you do with the flowering tops? One of my varieties of basil has a purple flower and I keep picking them off. Does anyone use them? I want to make sure I'm not throwing away something good.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Flowering basil by Mare749 (Question for all you...)
Can't help you there Sweetie! I did the same as you are doing hoping it would keep it from bolting.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Flowering basil by Mare749 (Question for all you...)
The buds should probably be removed before they even get close to flowering. Otherwise, the basil can get somewhat bitter.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Flowering basil by bjcotton (Can't help you there...)
I use the flowers as a decorative thang---nice and sweet as well as beautiful on the final plating----LOVE basil---gonna go next week for some new plantings for my "herb" garden--if they are available, that is!!!

Don't dump them---use as you would ordinarily in any basil addition---JMHO!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Flowering basil by labradors (The buds should prob...)
I've been pinching them off, but the Japanese Beatles got to them early in the season. The only thing that was effective was sitting there slapping them off. Roxanne, I never thought of using the buds. I have regular old sweet basil here, is that what you have? Have I been throwing away tons of good stuff??

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Flowering basil by pjcooks (I've been pinching t...)
That's what I'm wondering about too, PJ! I have two varieties, the kind that gets big leaves, then the other variety which I think is Thai, it has smaller leaves and a deep purple flower that looks like heather. Very pretty and very fragrant. I hate to just pinch them off if they should be used, but I always heard that you should pick your basil before it flowers.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Flowering basil by Mare749 (That's what I'm wond...)
I plant regular old basil, too. The flowers are edible and I don't note any bitterness--they taste just like the leaves. They really are lovely on a beautiful green salad. I have not heard that one should use basil before the flowers appear--why would that be? Now I'm having a basil attack!!! I will look for Thai bail when I go to the nursery--there are some intersting plants there at times.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Flowering basil by Roxanne 21 (I plant regular old ...)
I pinch them off also, or at least make sure I cut that 'branch' and just use with the leaves. Great for garnishes also.

Also, for those who have chives, onions, and/or garlic planted, when the buds form, but before they open, cut them stem and all. They have a stronger flavor than the plant has and chopping them up and adding raw or sauteed to dishes is just great.

Ramps are supposed to be onions, but I call 'em all ramps.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Flowering basil by cjs (I pinch them off als...)
What is the best time of season to start growing basil? I've decided to give it another go! Should I start with seeds or the small plants at the nursery?
  Re: Re: Flowering basil by DFen911 (What is the best tim...)
Hey, Denise, I can't speak for So Cal, but here in the North East plants are the way to go. We have too short a season.

PJ
PJ