Getting Rid Of Things
  Re: (...)
Yup. We're getting rid of our big deep freezer, and the second fridge. they are both very energy un-efficient. They are both old and suck up an incredible amount of energy. The city will has a blitz on, and will take them away for free. We will get another freezer, but a smaller one. For 3 people, we really don't need 2 fridges and a huge freezer. We have a tendancy to stock pile stuff, and not eat it. So, we went through the freezer today. We have 7 pork roasts we bought to make sausages. We'll have a housefull Labour Day, so they will turn into Pulled Pork. Thawing a chicken for Beer Butt chicken tomorrow, a big blade roast for my Mother's pot roast for one night during the week. Off to look for recipes for the 8 pork tenderloins I have.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Getting Rid Of Things by Lorraine (Yup. We're getting ...)
Lorraine, I never thought we needed two refrigerators either and managed without the second one for years. Ron wanted another frig for beverages and I wanted a freezer. Well, the solution for us turned out to be a nice energy efficient frig with a BIG freezer, as the second appliance.

Solves both problems, helps a lot when we have family dinners, and I don't tend to stockpile too much that way. These days with just the two of us most of the time, I prefer to buy fresh and shop more often, so I'm glad Ron talked me out of buying just a freezer. And the extra frig is great for keeping food chilled when we have company.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Getting Rid Of Things by Mare749 (Lorraine, I never th...)
When we moved up here, we left the two freezers and one refrig/freezer - bot a smaller freezer up here, and an under the counter refrigerator now I'm whining for another freezer and/or refrig/freezer. Just the two of us also, but shoot I've so much more time now.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Getting Rid Of Things by cjs (When we moved up her...)
Well now, we have a side-by-side in the kitchen, a 26 cubic ft. and 18 cubic ft. freezer in the garage. The smaller one is empty now because of you-know-who, but it will fill again as we go along...or maybe not.

Our old freezer (1960s version) was a 26 cu. ft. the same as the new one, but for being the same size the old one sure seemed to hold more.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Getting Rid Of Things by bjcotton (Well now, we have a ...)
We bought the 21 cf freezer after our little freezer died when the Island flooded. We've got our side by side (stupid da#n thing to buy!) in the garage, with the big freezer. The house came with a very nice large fridge with a top mount freezer so we're using that. We've got another one out on the patio - plan is to make it into a kegerator. Bob has all the stuff. Then we will be able to keep beer mugs in the freezer with room for any overflow.

If we hit the lottery I'm getting one of those "french door" puppies!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Getting Rid Of Things by Harborwitch (We bought the 21 cf ...)
I do find a lot of refridgerators are too deep in reach and too narrow in width. I call it the dead cabbage syndrome. I, like you Sharon, will be looking at the French door job. We currently have a double glass door one, and find it satisfactory, but too big for a small kitchen.
  Re: Re: Getting Rid Of Things by vannin (I do find a lot of r...)
Just send it here Dale, I loved your frig.

Speaking of getting rid of things, I have too many coffee machines. I have one for my coffee, one for Paul's coffee, a new one that's still in the box, a 4 cup one, 2 tea {coffee} pots, a french press, and the Bodun glass one that an old friend gave me [looks like a glass figure 8]. Oh yeah, 2 thermos coffee pots. Since Fredia is in the hospital here, Marilee brought one more tea [coffee] pot and another coffee pot. I don't know how many that makes, but it's too damned many...same goes for my 8 liquid measuring cups, 3 sets of dry measuring cups, and 3 sets of measuring spoons, 6 whisks, 27 knives, 3 food processors, 2 mixers, 16 canisters [2 for up to 4 gallons], a whole liquor cabinet full and no body here drinks, 3 computers, 3 printers, 3 scanners, 3 boxes of disc cases, 200 blank discs, I could go on and on, but will stop there.

Billy
  Re: Re: Getting Rid Of Things by bjcotton (Just send it here Da...)
"a whole liquor cabinet full and no body here drinks," - uhhhhhhhh, we'll be thru Meatball in..............
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Getting Rid Of Things by cjs ("a whole liquor cabi...)
Marilee beat you to it Jean. Will only have odd things once she cleans out the regular stuff.

Billy
  Re: Re: Getting Rid Of Things by bjcotton (Just send it here Da...)
a whole liquor cabinet full and no body here drinks

I'm on the next plane

PJ
PJ