Homemade Yogurt
  Re: (...)
Hello Everyone,

I bought a bad supply of powdered yogurt culture to make a batch of homemade yogurt, but of course I didn't find out that the stuff was no good until I'd made a batch and was checking on its "growth" several hours later when I realized that it wasn't making anything.

Anyway, I really want to make some yogurt, like yesterday. Since I live in a very small town, buying more powder is not possible (except through the Net which will take longer than I want to wait). Does anyone have a homemade yogurt recipe using store-bought plain yogurt with live cultures that they wouldn't mind sharing? I've found some posts on the Net but I'd rather use a recipe from one of the world's best cooks...

Thanks for your help!
  Re: Homemade Yogurt by Tabasco Red (Hello Everyone,[br][...)
2 Tbsp unflavored live culture commercial yogurt to each 8 ounces of milk you want to convert. While convert over night at this ratio.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Homemade Yogurt by bbally (2 Tbsp unflavored li...)
Thanks for the post, bbally. I'm off the buy the commercial stuff in the morning.
  Re: Homemade Yogurt by Tabasco Red (Hello Everyone,[br][...)
Please note: some friends gave me this recipe and, although they use it all the time, I have NOT tried it myself, yet, so I cannot comment on the results.

3 C powdered milk
6 C warm water
1 2/3 C Scalded whole milk (make sure it comes to 180F-185F)
1/4-1/3 C Plain yogurt

Do this just before bedtime.

1. Mix together the water and the milks.
  2. Add 1 C milk mixture to the yogurt.
  3. Blend until smooth.
  4. Return to the rest of the milk mixture.
  5. Mix well.
  6. Put into an oven-safe jar.
  7. Cool to 110-120 degrees.
  8. Cover the jar and place it into the oven.
  9. Turn the oven on, at 350F setting, for 2-3 minutes.
  10. Turn off the oven, but keep it closed and, if possible, keep the light on.
  11. In the morning, remove the jar from the oven and refrigerate it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Homemade Yogurt by labradors (Please note: some fr...)
How funny - I knew I had a recipe (or method) for this from making it a few years ago, and lo and behold, it was from a request from our very own Maryann that started the thread I got the recipe from in May 2005!! This one works!

“jonesg
Re: Making homemade yogurt
I dug out my old book and found the directions.

Bring 1 qt milk just to the boiling point for 1 minute ( to sterilize I guess).

Cool to 115f

add 2 tablespoons yogurt and set to culture 5 to 8 hrs at 110f

The longer it goes, the more sour and watery it becomes. Too long and it seperates with the water floating to the top.
Chill for 3 hrs.
It beats the daylights out of anything sold in the stores.
Check out the label on store bought low fat yogurt, its half gum and sugar.

I believe, don't know for certain (or care really), that full fat yogurt is fine because the culture turns the milk fat to acid, it converts it. So I wonder if the whole low fat yogurt thing is bunk, it seems to replace fat with sugar anyway. So why bother? “
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Yogurt by cjs (How funny - I knew I...)
That's where it all started for me, Jean, and I've never turned back. Once you get used to homemade yogurt, the store bought stuff tastes artificial.

Side note: I purchased a nifty yogurt maker by Euro Cuisine. Comes with seven 6 oz. jars with lids. I still use it about once a week.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Homemade Yogurt by Mare749 (That's where it all ...)
I believe that is entirely true Jean. Personally I would rather have the bit of fat than all that sugar. And the 'diet' yoghurts are all laden with aspartame. In fact all 'diet' food is. Talk about dicing with the devil.