Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!"
  Re: (...)
Some of you may recall that I recently got some fresh mushrooms - something not always easy to find around here. At first, I had thought about making a "mushroom loaf" similar to a meatloaf, but only found one recipe that looked worth trying, and nobody I "know" (electronically, that is) had actually tried it.

So, I set my sites on other ideas, and decided to try some intriguing recipes I had seen on http://www.cookingwithmushrooms.com/

In another thread, I have already mentioned this site in connection with the first recipe I made from there: "Mushroom and Green Onion Fritters." Those were SO good, I just had to try some of the other recipes. The other night, I made a "Rice-Crusted Mushroom Pie," which was very good, but tonight's use of the last of my mushrooms was simply incredible.

Tonight, I made "Mushroom and Bacon Breakfast Muffins." Okay, so I made them for dinner instead of breakfast - so sue me. LOL! Mushroom lovers out there need to try these. Since all the recipes from that site are in PDF format, I have copied the text from the file in order to post the recipe here. Please note that the recipe does come from Australia, so I'll provide some metric conversions, as well, in notes afterward.

----------------------------------------------------------
Mushroom & Bacon Breakfast Muffins

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking: 32 minutes
Makes: 6

3 rashers bacon, rind removed,
chopped
1 tbs olive oil
400g button mushrooms, chopped
1&1/2 cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
salt and ground black pepper
1 cup grated cheese
2 tbs chopped chives
80g butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly whisked
2/3 cup milk

1.Place bacon into a non-stick frying pan over medium-high
heat. Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes until light golden. Remove to a plate.

2.Increase heat to high. Add oil and mushrooms to frying pan. Cook for 5 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool.

3.Preheat oven to 200ºC. Grease 6 x 3/4-cup capacity Texas
muffin pans*.

4.Sift flour, baking powder and salt and pepper into a bowl.
Add cheese and chives. Whisk butter, eggs and milk in a jug.
Pour into dry ingredients. Stir gently until almost combined.

5.Fold through the bacon and mushrooms. Spoon mixture into
prepared pan. Bake for 20–22 minutes or until cooked, when
tested with a skewer. Stand 5 minutes in pan before turning
out. Serve warm.

*Texas muffin pans are the large capacity muffin pans. If using regular-sized muffins pans, mixture makes 12 and cooking time is 18 minutes.
----------------------------------------------------------

Notes and conversions:

1) "Rasher" is just another word for a slice of bacon.
2) 400g = 14 oz.
3) For the grated cheese, I used cheddar.
4) Since I didn't have any chives (neither fresh nor dried), I used green onions instead - something I do often anyway, since I prefer them.
5) 80g of butter = 5.6 Tbsp. I just rounded it to 6.
6) 200C = 392F. My gas oven doesn't have that much control, so I used the setting that gives me approximately 400F. Obviously, just keep an eye on the muffins and test with a toothpick.
7) The muffin pans I have ARE the large-capacity ("Texas") ones they mention, so I made no adjustments there.
8) There are no metric conversions for cooking times. ;-) LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!" by labradors (Some of you may reca...)
My goodness, these sound good, kind of like a quiche in a cup! They would be good anytime! Thanks for posting, and for the website. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!" by Mare749 (My goodness, these s...)
Quote:

My goodness, these sound good, kind of like a quiche in a cup! They would be good anytime! Thanks for posting, and for the website. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Maryann

Actually not quiche-like at all, but very much muffins. It may seem like a quiche from the mixing of the butter, eggs, and milk, but that doesn't sit on top of a crust, it's all mixed in to make the muffin batter. They ARE, however, quite yummy. I'm out of mushrooms now, but you can bet that when I get some more, I'll not only be making more of these, but also be trying more recipes from that site.

Unfortunately, some of the ones I'd like to try call for frozen puff-pastry dough, and neither that nor phyllo are available here. The four I have in mind are the "Mushroom and Cheese Strudel," the "Mushroom and Chicken Sausage Rolls," the "Mushroom, Thyme and Olive Tarts," and the "Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pies." Maybe I can get away with just making a regular pie crust for those last two.
  Re: Re: Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!" by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This recipe sounds really great. The notes and explanations are appreciated! Wondered what a "rasher" was until I got to the notes.

Breakfast for dinner is okay by me! Since I'm not a morning person, I wouldn't get it otherwise.
  Re: Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!" by labradors (Some of you may reca...)
Oops! Forgot one other note. This should probably come right after (1), but I'll just tack it onto the end of the list rather than confusing people with fractional numbers, etc.

9) The bacon we have here is very fatty, and in slightly narrower strips than I was used to seeing in the States. After cooking three strips as specified in the recipe, I thought it looked like hardly anything, so I added three more - thus doubling the bacon.
  Re: Re: Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!" by labradors (Oops! Forgot one ot...)
Thanks for the site link. For the last two you mentioned (tart / pie), I don't think you'd have a problem subbing pie dough for the puff pastry. The chicken and leek one sounds great!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!" by Lorraine (Thanks for the site ...)
oh my, first thing that popped into my head reading the bacon muffin recipe is a cold winter's nite and potato/leek soup......my mouth is watering!!

Off to check out the mushroom site - they all sound enticing.

we're in trouble now - what a wonderful site!!! thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!" by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

Unfortunately, some of the ones I'd like to try call for frozen puff-pastry dough, and niether that or phyllo are available here. . .

Labradors, have you ever made puff pastry? I have a recipe for "quick" puff pastry which takes just about as much time as making a pie crust. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe....
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Okay, these rate a definite "WOW!" by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
No. The closest I've come to that was the day after 9/11, when the restaurant in which I was working had hardly any customers. I couldn't leave my station on the express line for very long, so I quickly grabbed some butter from the kitchen and, by hand (i.e. no rolling pin) used it with one of our already prepped pizza doughs - stretch, butter, fold; stretch, butter, fold; etc. - to make my own "on-the-fly" croissant, which I then baked in our pizza oven. Actually, it turned out very well!

Otherwise, I HAVE heard of the quick puff pastry as you have mentioned, but have never tried it. At the moment, I have no idea where I saw the recipe, so if you wouldn't mind posting that, I'll give it a try. The mushroom recipes will have to wait until I have more shrooms, but I may try the puff pastry for other things in the mean time.

Thanks again!