Another South African food adventure!!!
  Re: (...)
Okay---for some very strange reason I was on a prime rib kick!!! NO SUCH BEAST is in the markets here-----SOOOOO

Went to the market last week and noted that there were prime rib “steaks” on the shelves. So I say to myself---a steak, huh??? Why can’t they do a roast.???

I commandeered the head butcher---HEY GUY---I WANT A PRIME RIB ROAST--can you do that for me?? Well, “LADY” ---explain what you want and maybe we can do something. I want the “first cut” (ribs 9-12 for those of you who don’t know what that means). That was the beginning of the adventure---okay, “LADY” come with me----so I went with him to the back room with all of those carcasses hanging from the hooks---YUCK!!!! He really did not know what I was talking about with respect to the ribs I was asking for…..not unusual here because they have very different meat cuts compared to the American cuts---always an interesting adventure to figure out what on earth is the same---rump, silverside, etc.

He cut the hunk off of the you know what and said okay, “LADY” tell me what you want”. Not wanting to look like a total dork I chose what I thought was the “first cut” , and he proceeded to saw the darn thing. We are getting there---looks like the real thang!!!

Now I want it prepped for my cooking deal----please remove the chine bone and cut the ribs away from the meaty part---WHAT???? Why would you do that???? Okay, BUT I want the ribs attached to the roast with string so that the roast is complete with fat and bones. I am looked at as though I have three heads----very strange American “LADY”!!

I always cook my roast this way---once the roast is cooked to the temp you desire, just cut the strings and the bone falls away so that you have just the roast for easy carving---the bones are used for the au jus and the fat keeps the meat warm while it is resting----works every time!!!

IT WAS PERFECT!!! Peter says—“the best prime rib we have had in TWENTY years”!! I had to remind him that it was the ONLY prime rib in 20 years---just kidding, of course. (BUT it was the BEST prime rib roast we have had EVER!!!!)

It was a great experience for me and the butcher---I got what I wanted and he learned something new from someone who is not a butcher but knew what she wanted!!!

Now---that CRAZY AMERICAN is coming again----HIDE!!!!!

Fun and another interesting South African food adventure!!!

Just thought I would share my newest experience with y’all!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Another South African food adventure!!! by Roxanne 21 (Okay---for some very...)
good for you, roxanne, sticking to your guns no matter how they look at you or think of you - you'll have them all trained before you leave!!!!

Not much better than a wonderful prime rib on a fall/winter dinner table.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Another South African food adventure!!! by Roxanne 21 (Okay---for some very...)
How fun! Perhaps the butcher will start to sell prime rib roast????? That does sound so good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Roxanne, if you PM your address I will send you the Beef check off laminated poster to present to your butcher as a gift. Being a member we get 6 per year laminated to give away. They like them used in the USA, but heck if you could build more goodwill with it in South Africa I am willing to mail it.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Another South African food adventure!!! by cjs (good for you, roxann...)
And it was wonderful with that Yorkshire pudding---shoulda mentioned that, huh?

OHHHH---the CHOLESTEROL levels will rise again!!!

But it was fun anyway---
  Re: Re: Another South African food adventure!!! by bbally (Roxanne, if you PM y...)
Thanks, you will hear from me BUT NOT for my butcher---FOR ME!!!!! And then I will take it along next time I wish to explain something I don't know what I'm talking about-----

Roxanne
If you showed me a side of beef I could identify ribs, of course, but where do you count from, the front or the back? I would show the butcher a picture at the back of one of my cookbooks, I guess.
  Re: Re: Another South African food adventure!!! by Roxanne 21 (Thanks, you will hea...)
Good for you Roxanne, and bbally for helping in this matter. I still have the liquid smoke you sent me so long ago, use it very sparingly, because I know I will never get any more.
Sista, you be just toooo funny!!!

You sound like you truly have some wild adventures there in SA, Roxanne!!! Are you sure you want to return to the good ole US of A???!!!

Can almost picture it, you walking into the butcher's, "Anatomy of a Cow" in tow, and telling the guy, " 'GUY' ", " 'LADY' wants this!", as you point out the area of the Chateaubriand! Better watch out. . .he may start to think you're after his job!!! (like you would really want it!!!) Just too funny!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Another South African food adventure!!! by vannin (Good for you Roxanne...)
Quote:

I still have the liquid smoke you sent me so long ago, use it very sparingly, because I know I will never get any more.

Dale, are you serious about the liquid smoke? I buy that stuff here ALL the time -- my kids LOVE it in the marinades and we put it in the beef jerky when we make this. Comes in hickory and another flavor (don't have a bottle of that one to tell you the flavor). There's no price sticker on this bottle but it is relatively inexpensive -- around $1.59/bottle. Will gladly send you some if you want. PM me if you want to discuss this.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda