Zucchini Dinner for the Neighbors
  Re: (...)
The zucchini plants are going crazy, so we had a neighborhood zucchini dnner party last nite.

Pork Mole in Tortilla Cups (only course with no zucc) This was a recipe by those two guys on Food network - Dan Smith & Steve Mcdonagh. was not a winner, not bad, but probably won't make again.

Green Salad with zucc - & two dressings one is an old family favorite and one I had not made before. Both are winners. They are from a book 10,000 Tastes of Minnesota - if the book is still in print, it's a book we should all have. Great recipes!!

Hubble House Dressing (when all the kids were home, I made the whole recipe...)

1 qt. mayo or salad dressing
10 3/4-oz. can tomato soup, condensed
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c vege oil
1/2 c catsup
1/4 cider vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1 small bell pepper, chopped

Combine all ingred. Cover & refrigerate. Makes 7 cups. I also add a couple shakes of Dos Gringos or Tabasco.

Mock Honey Dressing - I've never made this one before, but I bet it would be good on a fruit salad, very tasty!!

1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. cider vinegar
1 c vege oil
celery seed, if desired (I used ~1 1/2 tsp)

Combine powder sugar, dry mustard,, & salt; stir in vinegar.
Slowly add oil, beating constantly with electric mixer at med. speed till mixture is the consistency of honey (or emulsified). Stir in celery seed; over an refrigerate. makes 1 1/2 cups.

We all likeD both of these.

Stuffed Zucchini - from Little Italy Cookbook, David Ruggerio, from Bon Appetit. This is a wonderful version of stuffed zucc. I made several changes to this recipe - but, I bet it would be wonderful as is.

STUFFED ZUCCHINI
4 medium zucchini (approximately 5 ounces each), rinsed and sliced in half, lengthwise
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 pound lean veal, coarsely ground (I used a combination of Italian sausage and ground beef-I needed to double the recipe)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter, softened (I used this, but I really don't think it was needed - won't next time - but maybe with veal it would be needed)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Scoop out the insides of the zucchini halves with a small spoon. Reserve the cored halves and the insides.

I sauteed the meat first by itself and removed to a bowl then continued in the same skillet with the garlic & onion.
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes more. Add the celery and the reserved insides of the zucchini and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white wine and cook it down for 1 minute.(this would have taken a lot longer, so I reduced for about 4 min. and then spooned out the balance of the liquid). Add the veal and cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until it browns nicely, approximately 8 minutes (or just to heat thru)

Stir in the basil and the rosemary and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat, place in a bowl, and allow to cool.

Once the mixture has cooled, blend in the cheese, egg, butter, salt, and pepper. Fill the cored zucchini with the mixture.

Fill a baking pan with 1/4 inch of water. Place the filled zucchini halves in the pan and bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the zucchini carefully from the pan to a warm platter, spooning the juices from the pan on top of them, and serve. Instead, I put one cup of my marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan, added ~1 cup water (chix. stock next time) and laid the zucc on top and baked. It made a great 'gravy' to nap the dish with as you serve.

8 appetizer or side-dish servings; 4 main-dish servings.

------
Served this with grilled pineapple. Tried something new here also, I grilled the pineapple wedges in the afternoon and refrigerated. Added to the oven for the last twenty minutes of cooking the zucchini and it heated up nicely!! Good to know. Served 18 hour bread also.

and dessert....the infamous dry Chocolate Zucchini Espresso Dry Loaf - but zapping for a few seconds in the microwave brot it back to a nice moist slice of cake. We all enjoyed it.

Had some zucc filling left over, so I stuffed some blossoms and bake them and added to the salads - yum, they were sure good!!

Anyway, we all had a wonderful time - good friends, food, great wines. Oh, Roy made some wine last year with leftovers and he bottled it this weekend, will post about that later!! WONDERFUL!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Zucchini Dinner for the Neighbors by cjs (The zucchini plants ...)
That sounds really good. Zucchini is Jennifer's favorite veg. will have to fix these for her.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Zucchini Dinner for the Neighbors by Harborwitch (That sounds really g...)
SHARON! I forgot to call you back....what did you do with the 'dregs'??? Thot about that a couple of times in the middle of the night....thanks a lot!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Zucchini Dinner for the Neighbors by cjs (SHARON! I forgot to ...)
They are still hanging out in the bottle! It's time to get more stuff to make some more - actually made 2 bottles.

Any suggestions for boozy sugary lemon zest????Wink
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Nice recipes, Jean----love zucchini but we have the little guys---called pattie pans---this will work beautifully, though-----------anything veggie!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Thanks for the recipe, Jean, I love zukes but never thought of stuffing them with veal. Copied and printed.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Zucchini Dinner for the Neighbors by pjcooks (Thanks for the recip...)
That does it!!!!! I'm moving to Port Angeles, right into your basement, or garage, or travel trailer, or maybe a tent! I'll swing South and pick up Tracie and we'll move in!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Zucchini Dinner for the Neighbors by Harborwitch (They are still hangi...)
Quote:

Any suggestions for boozy sugary lemon zest????Wink

Do you want a dessert? How about an ice, like a granita? Babas?
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Zucchini Dinner for the Neighbors by bjcotton (That does it!!!!! I...)
the latch is open...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Zucchini Dinner for the Neighbors by cjs (the latch is open......)
We love zucchini. Didn't plant any, but I have green peppers out the wahzoo. Was planning on stuffing some for supper tonight, so I'll use this recipe. I have a combo of veal, beef, and pork in the fridge. Thanks, Jean!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.