Tuna and Fava Crostini
  Re: (...)
Our farmer's market had some great lookin' fava beans last Saturday and couldn't pass them up - looking for something different to do with them, I ran across this little appy on epicurious - it's a Bon Appetit recipe from June '06. For an easy and very tasty appetizer, you can't go wrong with this one.

TUNA AND FAVA CROSTINI

Favas lend a fresh note here. For the most robust flavor, use tuna packed in olive oil rather than water. Makes 6 servings.

18 thin baguette slices
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 ounces fresh fava bean pods
1 6- to 7-ounce can solid light tuna in olive oil
1/4 cup minced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley plus 18 leaves for garnish
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange baguette slices in single layer on baking sheet; brush slices with 3 tablespoons oil. Bake until bread is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes. Set aside.

Bring medium saucepan of water to boil. Shell fava beans, then drop beans into boiling water and cook 1 minute. Drain. Slip beans out of skins. Place beans in small bowl; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat.

Combine tuna with its oil, minced red onion, chopped parsley, and lemon juice in small bowl. Using fork, mash tuna mixture to coarse paste. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.

Baguette slices, fava beans, and tuna mixture can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Let baguette slices stand at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate fava beans and tuna mixture separately.

Divide tuna mixture among baguette slices. Top with fava beans and garnish each with 1 parsley leaf.

----

After we enjoy the rest of the above tonite and the Lamb for dinner, we are going back to being REALLY good - foodwise. But, this was a fun food weekend.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by cjs (Our farmer's market ...)
Okay---here's another DUMB question for ya-----could one sub sugar snap peas or pea pods (mangetout) for the favas? Never had a fava so not quite sure what the comparison is--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by Roxanne 21 (Okay---here's anothe...)
If you don't have favas in your little corner of the world, I'd use limas for a closer flavor. Or maybe cannellini bean??

hmmm, how about a mash of one of the beans spread on the bread round first, then topped with the tuna mixture??? and a sage leaf stuck in or minced fresh rosemary sprinkled over?? we could really play with this one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by cjs (If you don't have fa...)
I guess I should have been a bit more clear with that question---we have no type of fresh bean product here. Whenever someone comes to visit I ask for lima beans---love succotash!!!

Canned cannelini/butter beans/chickpeas/lentils--that's about it in our neck of the woods---I'll see what I can come up with on that front too---that recipe sounds up my alley--love those dishes!!

Are we having fun yet, Jean???? We have our private forum---what FUN!!!!
  Re: Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by Roxanne 21 (I guess I should hav...)
"We have our private forum---what FUN!!!! " - yes, we do!! We can solve all the problems of the world before these lazybones get up.....or get home from work....poor masses.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by cjs ("We have our private...)
  Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by cjs (Our farmer's market ...)
I just woke up......edename would be great in this dish too. You would probably have a hard time finding them tho....
  Re: Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by Bethp (I just woke up.........)
yes, they would - Roxane might have trouble finding them, but I don't.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by cjs (yes, they would - Ro...)
I've tried fava and edemame a couple of times and really don't see why anyone would eat them; but, enough people do so there must be something about them. As an old aquaintance of ours used to say, "If you have to develop a taste for something you weren't meant to eat it anyway." 'Course, Jean has always eaten strange things anyway
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Tuna and Fava Crostini by bjcotton (I've tried fava and ...)
oh hell, I'll try anything once! At least you tried Rocky Mtn. Oysters...or did you?
www.achefsjourney.com