What's On For Tonight???
  Re: (...)
Dinner wise, unless you want to tell us more.....

I'm cooking up those lamb shanks.

Is there a new issue of C@H coming out soon?? Should we hold off choosing a dinner for the new issue? Or not?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's On For Tonight??? by cjs (Dinner wise, unless ...)
Not sure when we're getting another issue, maybe we should give it a week? Looks like Sharon is next on the birthday list. Her menus always sound like so much fun, why don't we ask her to pick?

As for dinner tonight, well, I'm smoking two chickens in the smoker as I write this. Already made an angel food cake this morning, (yes, mom's recipe, from scratch, picky brother would know the difference) and two baguettes of honey french bread with sesame seeds. Also on the menu is a big tossed salad since I figured smoked chicken would taste really good with that. I couldn't decide on a potato or rice, but I'm leaning toward steamed jasmine rice, with a dab of butter and herbs.

Not sure about the wine yet, as my brother is bringing a couple of bottles back from Nova Scotia, according to an email that I got yesterday. Dessert will be angel food cake and hazelnut coffee. Was going to cut up some fresh fruit to go with the cake, but now I'm thinking of making a quick run to one of our local ice-cream stands (Honey Hut) which is right around the corner, to pick up some fresh peach ice cream. Saw that on their sign yesterday and can't get it out of my head.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Still trying to eat light...especially after my food-filled vacation!!

I'm grilling up some swordfish today and will be marinating it in a red wine vinaigrette along with some sauteed veggies to make Swordfish Escabeche. I'm going to put it over greens tonight to make a main-dish salad. Carbs are not allowed in our house this week!!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
I'm for checking out the new issue (is it #65?). The last 2 issues I've cooked (and liked) a lot of their recipes.

That's my vote!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What's On For Tonight??? by pjcooks (I'm for checking out...)
We all know about you PJ! Getting the new issue first and making us drool as we wait

We are having Butter beans (large limas),cornbread, and sautéed garlic/spinach tonight. Gotta go cut that darned FRESH spinach and clean it... so there PJ
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: What's On For Tonight??? by bjcotton (We all know about yo...)
Love love love butter beans, could make a meal out of those

PJ
PJ
But last night I made a red/port wine pear salad with pecans and blue cheese and Scallops and Asparagus a la Toledo (from Santa Fe recipe Cookbook, (published 1989 by Tierra Publications:

1 lb. medium scallops
flour as needed
2 T butter
1/2 dry Spanish Sherry (I used Taylor from NY state)
1/2 t saffron
1 C heavy cream
1/2 lemon squeezed
1/3 t. salt
1 bunch pencil asparagus
1/2 t. salt
1 t. butter

Lightly dip scallops in flour.

Melt butter in medium saucepan and saute scallops 2-3 minutes or until they are 2/3 done. Drain on paper towels.

Deglaze the pan with the sherry. Add the saffron and reduce by 20%. Add cream and reduce mixture by 40%.

Add scallops and cook them for 2 minutes or until done. Remove to a small bowl. Add lemon juice and salt. Strain through a sieve and return to the pan. (I found this step unnecessary). Return scallops to the sauce and keep warm over low heat.

In another saucepan, melt the butter and the salt and asparagus. Cover with water and boil them with the lid on until they are tender. Drain.

On a large platter arrange the asparagus in a sun ray pattern, leaving a whole in the center. Arrange scallops in the center and cover with sauce.

I cooked the asparagus first and made individual plates - I was only cooking for two. It was very good.
  Re: Just Burgers tonight by lxxf (But last night I mad...)
This sounds really good! Having made it, do you think there's a way to cut down on the cream? I realize it wouldn't be quite as decadent, but chix broth and maybe a quarter of the cream?

Thanks for posting!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Just Burgers tonight by pjcooks (This sounds really g...)
I was thinking about that. Since it has sherry and lemon juice in it, I bet you could swap buttermilk for half of the cream. I'm not sure what it would do to the texture, but when I make cold avocado soup, I substitute buttermilk for most of the cream.
I am making the Pork Florentine from the current issue. Really love it and have make it almost every week. It is a recipe that I can adjust for our individual tastes so it is easy