Dinner with Jean & Roy! #2
  Re: (...)
Of course Jean and Roy arrived before Bob got off work - we had to do something to keep us occupied until he got home.

The first stop was Delicato winery - where the three wineauxs sipped a bit of wine.

[Image: IMG_5562.jpg]

After the winery we went to the grocery store - to save poor Bob a stop on his way home! Yeah, that's our story & we're stickin' to it! We couldn't let that poor guy have to walk up and down all 25 or 30 aisles full of strange and wonderful Asian ingredients after he'd been working all day.

We found everything else I needed for dinner - and more! Then we went home to get dinner going.

Jean started on the Chinese Chive Dumplings
[Image: IMG_5567.jpg]

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup sticky rice flour
1 cup rice flour
1 tbs. soy sauce
2 cups Chinese chives, green, sliced.

Add rice flour, sticky rice flour and water to a pot over medium heat. Stir constantly to prevent sticking. If the mixture starts to be too sticky to handle, lower the heat. Stir until the mixture turns gluey. Remove from heat and add the tapioca flour. Set it aside to let it cool.

While waiting for the dough to cool down, slice the Chinese chives into 1/2 inch pieces. Heat up 2 teaspoons of oil in a wok or pan over high heat. Add chives and soy sauce. Stir quickly and remove from the heat. You want the chives to wilt a little but not cook. Cooking it too long will produce too much water and make it difficult to stuff the dumpling.

Test the dough to see if it is too sticky. If it is too sticky, it will stick to your hand and will be difficult to work with. Add more tapioca flour.

Pinch off a small portion and roll it between your palms into a ball (an inch in diameter). Use your thumb and index finger to thin the dough into a flat piece. Put one tablespoon of cooked Chinese chives in the middle, gather the edges and squeeze them together to close the dumpling.

Steam the dumpling for 5-7 minutes or until the dough is cooked. It is ready to be served now with hot chili soy sauce but many people like them pan-fried. That includes me. I pan fry the dumplings until they are somewhat brown. I like them crispy on the outside but soft on the inside.

[Image: IMG_5568.jpg]

These absolutely tasted incredible. And. . . of course Jean fried them.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #2 by Harborwitch (Of course Jean and R...)
geez, talk about the double-chin club!!! Oh well, we have fun, tho don't we?

I think I screwed up this recipe somehow, it was the only one I didn't like. I'm determined to play with this and see what I did wrong.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #2 by cjs (geez, talk about the...)
I keep looking at the pictures that were with the recipe - I think hers were bigger. Also wondering if we had set them on a banana leaf (no flower - leaf)???????? I loved the flavor - the Chinese chives are incredible. I just thought - some fresh radishes and those chives all tossed up together in the pan!???
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #2 by Harborwitch (I keep looking at th...)
You all look like the happiest people on the face of the earth! Course, I'll bet that wine helped a bit.....Yum!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #2 by Mare749 (You all look like th...)
Yes, it looks like a very fine little party. How nice for all of you.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #2 by Half_Baked (Yes, it looks like a...)
I didn't copy one of these recipes! It was the Banana Flower Salad

Seeing y'all together gave me a warm feeling, thanks for the pictures.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #2 by bjcotton (I didn't copy one of...)
Actually Billy; if you substitute bean sprouts and some green leafy lettuce and perhaps some cucumber for the banana flower it's really good! Certainly worth trying - even without the nasty thing.