Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1
  Re: (...)
Well I tried this yesterday and my internet crashed right smack in the middle - so here we go again.

The menu for the dinner:

Chinese Chive Dumplings
Shrimp & Lemongrass Soup
Banana Flower Salad
Lemongrass Patties
Rice Noodles with Sesame Herb Pesto
Coconute Pumpking Brulee

The menu was inspired by the banana flower - it was interesting looking and the recipes we found for it sounded pretty good. The tendency for bitterness was mentioned - but it was understated by tons and tons!

See the pretty banana flower. I don't think Jean or I could recommend anyone even consider eating one of these things.
[Image: IMG_5563.jpg]

Banana Bell Salad
Banana Growers

Ingredients:
From Mai Chee Vang, Hmong Community, Far North Queensland

1 kg banana bell (banana flower), sliced
½ barbecued chicken or a whole poached chicken breast - diced
2 tbsp Thai mint
2 eschalots, sliced thinly
1 stalk lemongrass
3 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 birds eye red chillies
½ lemon wedge
4 coriander sprigs to garnish
4 Thai basil leaves to garnish
2 tbsp toasted ground rice*

* To make ground rice, lightly toast a handful of uncooked glutinous rice into a hot wok. Stir constantly until the rice browns, then grind, using a mortar and pestle, to a rough consistency (much like ground coffee). Alternatively, use a coffee grinder.

Method:
Wash the banana bell thoroughly and slice into thin shreds.
Leave to soak in cold water with slices of lemon.
After rinsing 2-3 times, squeeze out excess water and transfer into a large mixing bowl.

In another bowl, mix the cooked chicken with lemon juice, lime leaves, ground rice, chillies, fish sauce, and salt to taste.
To this mixture add the sliced banana bell, mint, and eschalots.
Lightly mix, taking care not to bruise the banana bell.
Garnish with coriander and Thai basil.

Banana bell salad is traditionally served with steamed sticky rice or as an accompaniment to a meal.

We continued with the salad with grilled chicken and used bean sprouts and some green leaf lettuce instead of the banana flower. It was really tasty!

For herbs we used Rau ram (Vietnamese Cilantro), mint and basil.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by Harborwitch (Well I tried this ye...)
Sharon, I've never even heard of a banana flower. Looks pretty intimidating to me!

Glad to hear you all had so much fun. I wished I lived on that coast, sometimes, instead of this one, so I could join you!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by pjcooks (Sharon, I've never e...)
Wish you could have been here too!

If you ever see one of those things in the store steer clear of it. Nasty nasty nasty. But it was a great excuse for Thai food. Next time they come it'll be Mexican or Italian - easy stuff.
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by Harborwitch (Wish you could have ...)
Banana flowers are just BAD, FOUL, NASTY TASTING!!!! But, we played with the salad so much, it was great!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by cjs (Banana flowers are j...)
Of course, if I ever find it here, I have to try it, just to say I've tried it. So, will keep this recipe on file!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by pjcooks (Of course, if I ever...)
What an interesting meal! I can't wait to read the next one! Thanks for sharing.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by pjcooks (Of course, if I ever...)
All I can say is go to the grocery store and buy a banana - go home peel the banana and toss the banana and eat the peel. There now you've experienced something half as bad as the flower. Just say NO to banana flowers - please!
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by Harborwitch (All I can say is go ...)
That's a great description, Sharon! Lol!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by Half_Baked (That's a great descr...)
I can't recall ever eating something that bad! It just was not fit for human consumption - plus it was un-nerving to see all those little baby bananas inside that were never going to grow up and be big bananas.
  Re: Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #1 by Harborwitch (I can't recall ever ...)
You are just too funny Sharon my love. I am so glad you all had fun, four of my favorite people together.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy