Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue
  Re: (...)
anyone out there have the best of the best recipe for this
  Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by Stickman (anyone out there hav...)
Here's a recipe from my friend Steve Armstrong, it's posted here at: http://www.thegourmetlife.com/the_gourme...forum.html and is titled "Cheaters Chicken Cordon Blue" I haven't tried it, so I can't say if it's the best of the best, but I will say that Steve knows what he's doing in the kitchen
Perhaps it's not exactly what you had in mind, but you may want to add it to your repertoire to try another time.

Cheater's Chicken Cordon Blue

This is an easy version of the original. Personally, I like to use thigh meat because I like the flavor much more than breasts. However, for the traditionalist, breast meat can easily be used.

4 chicken breasts or thighs, skin on, boned if desired
4 slices cooked ham
4 slices Swiss cheese

3 eggs
2 Tbsp milk

1 to 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Slide fingers under the skin and lift up from the meat; repeat with remaining pieces. Try not to disconnect it completely. Leave at least three sides connected to form a pouch.
3. Stack ham slice on top of Swiss cheese and slide between the meat and skin of the chicken. Repeat with remaining pieces.
4. Mix eggs and milk and pour into a deep bowl wide enough to accept the chicken pieces and your hand.
5. Pour breakcrumbs into a pan or bowl, reserving some in your measuring cup to use if required.
6. Dip pieces, one at a time, into eggwash ensuring egg gets into 'open skin areas.' Lightly shake off excess.
7. Set in breadcrumbs and push crumbs onto eggwash. Sprinkle with some reserved crumbs to ensure it's completely covered. Repeat breading procedures with remaining pieces.
8. Place chicken on a greased or sprayed rack on an aluminum foil lined sheetpan. Put in preheated oven. Check at 45 minutes for breasts. They should be finished. Check at 45 minutes for thighs, however, they will probably require 10-15 minutes more cooking.

Serves: 2
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by Stickman (anyone out there hav...)
My favorite cordon bleu is from CAH. I don't remember if I've ever made the sauce...it doesn't need it. Here's the recipe:

Chicken Cordon Bleu
(Cuisine at home, October 2004, Issue 47, p. 23)

Makes: 4 Stuffed Chicken Breasts Total Time: About 1 1/2 Hours + Chilling Time Rating: Intermediate

For the Filling —
Prepare:
4 oz. shaved deli ham
4 oz. Swiss cheese, cut into 4 blocks
4 spears asparagus, blanched and halved crosswise

For the Chicken —
Pound out; Season with:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5–6 oz. each)
Salt and pepper

Coat in; Fry:
1 cup panko crumbs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten with 1 T. water
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil

For the Honey Mustard Sauce —
Saute in 1 T. Unsalted Butter:
1 shallot, minced

Deglaze with; Reduce:
1/2 cup apple cider

Add and Simmer:
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 T. heavy cream
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. honey

Whisk in:
2 t. beurre manié
1 t. chopped fresh thyme
Salt and cayenne to taste

Prepare ham, cheese, and asparagus for the fillings.

Pound out chicken; season with salt and pepper. To roll, lay about 1 oz. ham over each breast, leaving margins around all sides. Place a block of cheese and two halves of asparagus about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. Prepare ingredients for coating.

Coat rolled chicken breasts; chill. Preheat oven to 400° and heat oil in a nonstick saute pan until it begins to shimmer. Fry and finish chicken. Serve with Honey Mustard Sauce.

Saute shallot for the sauce in butter in a saucepan, about 3 minutes.

Deglaze with apple cider and simmer until reduced, about 3 minutes.

Add broth, cream, mustard, and honey. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Whisk in beurre manié and thyme; season with salt and cayenne. Keep warm over low heat (do not boil) until ready to serve.

Nutrition Information (Per stuffed breast with 3 T. sauce):
690 calories 51% calories from fat 39g total fat 29g carb. 670mg sodium 1g fiber
Tammy
  Re: Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by TwilightKitten (My favorite cordon b...)
Quote:

My favorite cordon bleu is from CAH. I don't remember if I've ever made the sauce...it doesn't need it.

. . .this is a "winner" . . .the recipe we always use. We make the sauce but serve it on the side -- some like it, some don't. Personal preference suppose.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
It is rather fun to use a 'polite' blue cheese. And, (terribly old fashioned) sliced cored pineapple, lightly fried in a bit of butter, with the asparagus served through the cored hole. Lay it so the pineapple is resting under the tips, and the rest of the ring makes a 'skirt' for the stems.
  Re: Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by vannin (It is rather fun to ...)
Oh Dale, doesn't that sound lovely. What a pretty picture that would make.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by TwilightKitten (My favorite cordon b...)
ok recipe looks great but i have a question or two.

do you bake chicken after browning in oven?
And What is beurre mania? I know what a burre Blanc sauce is. thanks
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by mjkcooking (ok recipe looks gre...)
Quote:

. . .do you bake chicken after browning in oven?
And What is beurre mania? . . . thanks

Yes and beurre mania (pronounced burr mahn YAY) is a paste that is made up of softened butter and flour, usually equal parts of both. It is used to thicken sauces.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
beurre manie (burr mahn-YAY) French for 'kneaded' butter.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need great recipe for chicken cordon blue by mjkcooking (ok recipe looks gre...)
Oops, sorry about that...here's the recipe:

Beurre Manie
(Cuisine, October 1997, Issue 5, p. 37)

Makes: 1/2 Cup Total Time: 5 Minutes Rating: Easy

Mix and Blend thoroughly:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Mix and blend butter with flour until mixed throughly.
Tammy