Freezing pizza
  Re: Re: Freezing pizza by HomeCulinarian (I had lunch at Papa ...)
Quote:

Thaw the pie in the refrigerator overnight. Brush the crust with olive oil and bake at 400 for 30 minutes. She said the dough can get hard because it is too dense if it is not allowed to rise. The olive oil also helps with moisture. They aslo recommend baking in the middle of the oven.

In one of my own follow-up messages, I mentioned that these are being made to be sold by someone else when a customer orders them. Thus, thawing them overnight would defeat the purpose of having them frozen in the first place. In addition, were they not frozen, they would normally take only 10-12 minutes at 500 degrees, and 30 minutes would just be too long to expect someone to sit and wait for a pizza at an art gallery that just happens to have a café. Thanks anyway.

Quote:

I'm a personal chef and often make pizzas for my clients to freeze and reheat. The process: roll out or shape doughs and place on cornmeal dusted cookie sheet. Bake at 450 to 500 degrees for about 4 minutes or until the dough looks set. Do not brown. Cool on racks and then top with whatever you like. Wrap in foil, then saran wrap and freeze. To cook: Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Remove pizzas from wrap and place on cookie sheets or directly on oven rack. (My clients don't have pizza peels.) Bake until crust is browned and toppings are bubbling (about 8 to 12 minutes.) Hope this works for you.

Thanks, but this is exactly what I have already been doing, which is why one of my earlier replies said, "the crust on the cooked pizzas (even partially cooked) became quite hard when reheated." That is why I also asked what could be done to modify the dough recipe so it would prevent the problem without changing the taste and character of the crust TOO much.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Freezing pizza by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Sounds like you've aleady tried lots of angles on this problem... The 30 minutes was for a whole deep dish pie.

Makes me think of my catering friend who refuses to do "drop offs". He did for a time, then found he would never get good comment card reviews after those events because he lost control of portions and quality.

Let us know if you ever solve it!
  Re: Re: Freezing pizza by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
labradors, one thing you have not told us is, what kind of facility does your friend/gallery owner have to do the heating of the pizza. That would give us a good clue as to how to heat the slices or how to prep them for this to work.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Freezing pizza by cjs (labradors, one thing...)
Quote:

labradors, one thing you have not told us is, what kind of facility does your friend/gallery owner have to do the heating of the pizza. That would give us a good clue as to how to heat the slices or how to prep them for this to work.

The gallery is actually a large house, and she just uses the electric oven to reheat them (my oven is gas, and a little bigger, but still a home-style oven). She does have a microwave for some things, as well, but that would not be the primary means of cooking pizzas, of course.

Other than that, the café is the front and side patio area around the house. It has a fair amount of room, but she is, after all, a painter, and this is supposed to be something supplemental (but regular) as opposed to primary (since bigger art purchases are not, necessarily, an everyday thing).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?