A Community Recipe????
  Re: (...)
Since a lot of us are watching what we eat this summer, I've been doing a lot of playing with dishes and ingredients.

Yesterday, I wanted a side for some Hawaiian Strips (these are bacon-shaped strips of beef that are cut ~3/4" thick, across the short rib. Another treat that's like eating candy that's for Bill ) that I was grilling.

I had a bag of frozen cooked rice (~2 cups) and I thot most of the day I would make a salad, but that just didn't seem to be what I wanted to do.

As I was taking things out of the frig to figure this out, I thot of you all and wondered what you would do with this. So, I'll tell you what i ended up making, and we were very happy with it, but it needs some more playing with and I'm hoping you guys will give your input - and you also might try making it, so I don't have to make 3 gazillion versions!!

Black Bean & Rice Pie
Serves 6 - works to 4 points (if I did this right)

Mix together and mold into an 8" or 9" pie plate:
2 cups cooked rice
1 egg
1 oz. cheddar (lower-fat), shredded

Bake at 350 F. for 10 min. or till set.
Remove pie 'shell' from oven and increase oven temp. to 375 F.

In the pie shell layer:
1/2 cup Refried Black Beans, drop by spoonfuls, but don't try to spread.

Mix together and pour over the bean layer:
2 eggs, mix slightly with a fork
1/2 cup milk (I used powdered milk!!)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup a.p. flour
pinch of cayenne

top the pie with one tomato, thinly sliced
1 oz. cheddar cheese (lower-fat) shredded

Bake at 375F for 30-35 min or until set.

-----

O.K., this was tasty, but I'm thinking next time the changes I would make -
1. try with brown rice
2. Mix the refried beans with a little taco/salsa to loosen a bit.
3. ????

What would you all add - herbs, seasonings...of course different cheeses, but that's a given.

This could be fun!1
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Community Recipe???? by cjs (Since a lot of us ar...)
How about a layer of roasted poblanos, thinly sliced and just sprinkled in there. (Can you tell I'm anxious to start harvesting??? Or a layer of thinly sliced black olives? Maybe a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of cilantro? This is making me hungry, Jean.

Just thought of another. What about some crushed tostitos (baked, of course) instead of the flour; or some cornmeal as a thickener. Do you think that would work?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Community Recipe???? by Mare749 (How about a layer of...)
This is like a strata recipe, except you are substituting rice for the bread.

Try adding some flavor to the rice crust. Such as Spanish Rice or taco-style seasonings in the rice mixture.

Or, try adding adobo sauce to the beans.

Add grilled onions and/or peppers.
  Re: A Community Recipe???? by cjs (Since a lot of us ar...)
I know you said side dish, and I know you are cooking light, but I think I would make this, adding a layer of ground turkey seasoned w/taco seasonings, some salsa in there, w/some dollops of fat free sour cream pureed w/some shredded cheese (holds together better, courtesy Cook's Country) for dinner for the kids. I know it's not quite what you were asking, but you got me thinking! I'm in a slump, I need to get thinking

Thanks for the idea!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: A Community Recipe???? by pjcooks (I know you said side...)
Of course, let's not forget a good spoonful of guacamole!

I love sour cream, but don't always keep it on hand. Plain yogurt is something I always have, and usually make my own. So, I usually put a cup or two in a strainer to make yogurt cheese and often use that as a substitute.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Community Recipe???? by Mare749 (Of course, let's not...)
Good idea, I do that sometimes, just always forget I can! Thanks for the reminder, Maryann.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: A Community Recipe???? by pjcooks (Good idea, I do that...)
Poblanos & cilantro – yes, like those additions
Cornmeal – interesting

I do have shredded cheese in the crust & we do like yogurt cheese.
Did want to keep for a side, but adding the turkey burger would be nice for a main.

Well, I guess I’ll see what’s in the fridge next time… thanks all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com