Grilled pizza!
  Re: (...)
Well, this is just wonderful! I had not tried it yet because I'm a nightmare around a grill, but have become quite determined to learn. Decided to try this yesterday, and we were very impressed with how well it turned out. Just made traditional pizza dough and homemade sauce, and all the usual toppings, but we were careful not to over do it because someone said to go lighter on the toppings when you do it this way. My family really enjoyed it, and we're all completely hooked now.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Grilled pizza! by Mare749 (Well, this is just w...)
We are too, Maryann - can't remember the last time the oven was used for pizza! I haven't made it for a long time - we're due, I'm thinking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled pizza! by cjs (We are too, Maryann ...)
We re-heated left over take out pizza on the grill last night. It worked great - and no heating up the kitchen in the heat. We put it on a mesh pizza tray - cause it was loaded and already sliced, but I must say that it really added to the flavor of the pizza. Might just pop them on there straight from the place.

We do love to do homemade on the grill too. I've been thinking about doing that for a few days now.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Grilled pizza! by Mare749 (Well, this is just w...)
Noticed the grilled pizza in the Weeknight Grilling book. It looks good, but perhaps a bit tricky. With your encouragement, I think I will be giving it a try!
  Re: Re: Grilled pizza! by HomeCulinarian (Noticed the grilled ...)
HC, Jean gave me instructions on how to do it and I followed that exactly. It turned out great. The best advice was dividing the dough into 4 parts. So much easier to work with than a whole big piece would be.

I would be interested to hear how yours turns out and how long you baked it. (And of course, I already know you will love it!)

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Grilled pizza! by Mare749 (HC, Jean gave me ins...)
Did you use an indoor grill pan or put on the BBQ outside? I don't have a gas BBQ so for me it's light the bricketts

We did one similar in school but we had the huge indoor grills. We grilled the dough and topped it with pesto and put mozzarella on top to melt and that was it.

It was wonderful! But I haven't tried it at home yet since I wasn't sure how it'd taste on a grill pan or if the BBQ would be too smokey for it.
  Re: Re: Grilled pizza! by DFen911 (Did you use an indoo...)
We use a gas grill outdoors, Denise, and always have some kind of "chips" to give it a little smokey flavor. Currently, it's mesquite, but you can use anything. Apple branches is another favorite, especially with chicken or turkey.

I'm just learning to use the grill, but Jean told me to start with it hot, hot, then turn it down to medium to bake the pizza. Is that possible with briquettes? You probably know how to achieve that.

Anyway, brush oil on both sides of the dough, put it on the grill for 2 minutes, closing the lid. After 2 minutes, lift and turn to create cross hatch marks, closing the lid again. Take off and add your toppings to the grilled side, put it back on the grill for 3 minutes, again closing the lid, then one last time, turn to cross hatch and bake for 3 more minutes. Jean can correct me if I didn't relay that quite the right way, but it did work very well for us.

Also, don't be afraid to stretch the dough a bit. (without tearing, of course) It puffs up a little bit while baking.
I was very pleasantly surprised how easy this was and I don't usually do the grilling since Ron is so good at it and I always manage to burn myself somehow.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Grilled pizza! by Mare749 (We use a gas grill o...)
Do you all just use a standard pizza dough recipe?

Mine is a combination of AP flour, Semolina flour, yeast and water.
  Re: Re: Grilled pizza! by DFen911 (Do you all just use ...)
I grill mine just as Maryann does hers. I would think any pizza dough would work, Denise. With a charcoal grill, I would think banking the briquettes around the edge would work, wouldn't it?

Here's the one dough that I use -

PIZZA DOUGH

1 cup +3 Tablespoon water
2 tsps olive oil
2 3/4 cups bread flour -- (13.5 oz)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour -- (1.1 oz.)
1 tsp each: garlic & onion powders
1/4 cup dry milk powder -- (.7 oz.)
2 tsps sugar
1 1/2 tsps salt
2 tsps Active dry yeast

Using a Bread Machine: Fill bread machine in the order that your model recommends.

Set machine to 'dough'; take out at end of process & spread on a Pam-sprayed pizza pan which has been sprinkle with corn meal.

Making dough by hand: In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients except the yeast; after mixing, add the yeast and combine.

Combine the dry ingredients with the liquids; mix together and turn out on a floured board and knead for 5 minutes. Cover with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
The dough is now ready.

This amount of dough will make one large pizza, two medium, or four to five individual pizzas.

For individual pizzas - divide dough into quarters.
Either freeze, refrigerate till needed, or top immediately with toppings of your choice.

If frozen, let the dough thaw in a oiled plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight.

Oven: Once you have your toppings on the dough, bake at 450° for ~15 min., or till crust is golden.

Grill: Medium to medium high heat - grill for 4 min.; remove from grill and turn grilled side up - you'll want the UNCOOKED side down.

Top with toppings; place back on grill for 6 min. more, with the lid closed, rotating if necessary
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled pizza! by cjs (I grill mine just as...)
Jean, your pizza dough recipe is very forgiving. I put everything in the big bowl of my kitchen-aid, mix it for 5 to 7 minutes, let it rise right in the bowl, then punch it down, cover it with plastic and use the next day. Very simple, very delish!

Maryann
Maryann