Dessert question
  Re: (...)
Hi

Can you please post your favorite dessert recipe with fresh raspberries. My mom brought me 24 baskets of raspberries. We are eating and eating and eating...and it seems like we still have a ton and I am afraid that they will go bad. I would love to make something with them. Any suggestons?
  Re: Dessert question by piano226 (Hi[br][br]Can you pl...)
Can you still get some Rhubarb? I think the Rhubarb-Raspberry cobbler I made early this summer is one of the best tasting dessert in a long time!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rhubarb & Raspberry Crisp

1 1/2 lbs. rhubarb -- cut into 1" pcs. (about 4 cups) (1 1/2 to 2)
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen raspberries (I used frozen from last summer)
Crumb topping:
1 c. a.p. flour
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
8 T. cold butter -- (one stick) cut in small pieces
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/4 c. chopped toasted walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a 2-qt. baking dish, combine the rhubarb, sugar and flour. Set aside while making the topping.

Combine the flour, b. sugar and cinnamon. Using a fork, or your fingers, blend the butter into the flour mixture until you have large crumbs. Add the oats and nuts; combine well.

Sprinkle the raspberries over the rhubarb mixture and top with the crumb mixture.

Bake for 45-55 minutes or until sticking a knife into the rhubarb shows it's tender.

Man, is this a good combination!!! The neighbors liked it also... now back to healthy...

-----

here's a sorbet we did for a dinner a while back -

RASPBERRY-PLUM SORBET

Recipe By :Bon Appetit, Aug. '01 - 2003 Apprenticeship dinner
Serving Size : 6

1 1/3 c sugar
1 1/3 c water
----------
2 lbs plums, pitted, cut into large chunks
3 1/2 c fresh raspberries or frozen unsweetened, thawed

Combine sugar & water in pan.
Bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Remove from heat.
Cool sugar syrup completely.

Blend plums & raspberries in processor till smooth.
Strain thru coarse sieve into large bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
Stir in cooled sugar syrup.
Refrigerate till chilled, ~2 hours.

Process sorbet in ice cream maker according to mfg's instructions.
Transfer sorbet to bowl.
Cover & freeze.
Sorbet can be made 1 week ahead - keep frozen.

Serving Ideas : Garnish: fresh raspberries & mint
-----

and, of course, do you have freezer space to freeze some?

Ooops - and right here on C@H here's a sorbet!

Fresh Raspberry Sorbet
(Cuisine at home, August 2004, Issue 46, p. 50)

Makes: About 2 1/2 Cups Total Time: 4 Hours (Includes Freezing) Rating: Easy

Combine:
1 lb. fresh or frozen raspberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice

Combine berries with sugar and citrus juice, crushing them lightly with the back of a spoon. Let stand at least 30 minutes, or until berries release their juices. (If using frozen berries, let the mixture stand until thawed.) Transfer berries and juices to a food processor and blend until smooth; strain puree if desired, then chill until cold. Freeze puree in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. When frozen, transfer to a freezer container, press a piece of wax paper on top, and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/2 cup):
167 calories 3% calories from fat 1g total fat 42g carb. 1mg sodium 6g fiber
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dessert question by piano226 (Hi[br][br]Can you pl...)
Marina, if you have room in your freezer, I'm pretty sure you can spread them on a cookie sheet, freeze and bag. Fruit freezes well in my experience, but raspberries are not one I've ever done before. Still, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Then, they'll be waiting when you make up your mind which dessert you're going to make with them
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dessert question by farnfam (Marina, if you have ...)
I freeze them every year. Do not wash, spread on a cookie sheet, freeze until solid and then bag. Great. Use in muffins (lemon raspberry muffins), Our favorite Home made ice cream is raspberry swirl. If using in a muffin or desert you would use whole berries - add them to the recipe frozen, do not thaw. They will retain their shape better. And don't forget Jam!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Dessert question by esgunn (I freeze them every ...)
GREAT IDEAS ...I will for sure freeze some and than I was browsing on different recipe sights and found one that looked really interesting. it is called Sour Cream Raspberry pie. I think i will make it and let you guys know how it turned out.
  Re: Re: Dessert question by piano226 (GREAT IDEAS ...I wil...)
I can attest to the sorbets. I juice Santa Rosa plums every year, and also raspberries and then use the juice in making sorbets. I'll post a couple of recipes for you. I think I served raspberry sorbet with a little bit of lemon-rosemary sorbet on top to Jean one time. Was a big hit.

Lemon Rosemary Sorbet II

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts-Ices

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup fresh rosemary -- finely chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup *Limoncello -- more or less

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sugar and water. Stir until mixture comes to a low boil; add rosemary and let simmer for 1 minute; remove from heat and using a fine strainer remove the rosemary; let cool.

In a large measuring cup, add the cool rosemary simple syrup, the lemon juice and Limoncello to make ~3 to 3 1/2 cups.

Mix thoroughly and chill in the freezer until very cold. By pre-chilling the mixture you will shorten the time needed to freeze the sorbet.

Pour mixture into the ice cream machine and then turn the paddle accessorie on. Sorbet will come up to the very rim of the container and be a fine icy mixture when done.

Remove to containers and keep chilled in the freezer until ready to serve.

*The Limoncello should be added by taste. When you are satisfied with the taste you have added enough.

NOTE: This flavor is enhanced by adding about a tablespoon of cranberry sorbet on top of the serving.

Description:
"Adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine Aug/Sep '96"

Tried this one too...not bad

Rosemary-Raspberry Sorbet

Recipe By :Unknown
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 pints fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon vodka

Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes and set aside to cool. Place the raspberries, sugar syrup, vinegar, vodka and rosemary in a blender and puree until smooth. Let stand for 1 hour. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Refrigerate until cold. Freeze according to the directions on your ice cream machine. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.

Mixed Berries with Vanilla Bean Syrup

Recipe By :Irit Ishai
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

1/2 vanilla bean
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 cups fresh raspberries
2 cups fresh black raspberries
2 cups fresh marionberries
2 cups fresh loganberries
1 cup strawberries -- optional
2 cups blueberries -- optional

Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise with a sharp paring knife and scrape out the seeds with the back of the knife; save the empty pod for a garnish, if you like. Put the seeds in a small saucepan, along with the sugar and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 7 minutes ot let the vanilla infuse. Strain through a fine sieve to remove any fibrous pieces of vanilla pod or clumps of seeds. Let cool and refrigerate until completely chilled.

Rinse the berries and spread them in a single layer on a towel to dry. Hull the strawberries, is using, and cut them into quarters.

Just before serving, combine all the berries in a large serving bowl and pour on just enough of the vanilla syrup to lightly coat them, about 3 Tbs. Toss gently.

Source:
"Fine Cooking, Jun/Jul '04"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The original recipe called for blueberries and strawberries instead of the marionberries and loganberries. I am not that fond of blueberries and allergic to strawberries, so I substituted them out.

If you have never tried a granita [granite] they are delicious too, not as fine and smooth as a sorbet, but nevertheless delicious.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy