Flank Steak Skewers - Issue #64
  Re: (...)
I think I've made more food out of this issue than any other! Last nite - Flank Steak Skewers with Chimichurri Rojo and yes, another winnner. this makes an awful lot, so I have leftovers for twice-baked potatoes tonite and will probably freeze the rest for something later.

I also brushed some tomato halves and pineapple wedges with the chimicurri rojo (on the grill) and it was delicious. It's a little spicy, but not over the top. Just very flavorful.

There are two or three left from this issue to try - well, unless more of you keep reviewing favorably dishes to try...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Flank Steak Skewers - Issue #64 by cjs (I think I've made mo...)
Just keep going Jean and we can take turns vacationing at your house to use up the leftovers
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I'm looking at this one, too, (well, I was until I lost it, I think my middle son borrowed it) I'm assuming you used flank, I've got some hanger in the freezer. Not having the recipe in my hands until tomorrow, is this something I could sub? I love the flavor of hanger steak. I think I remember having to slice it against the grain, so that would work. Just noticed I have skirt steak, too, but
like the hanger better. Too many decisions on a hot day, 99 degrees (feels like 107 w/humidity), makes that April blizzard seem refreshing!

Thanks!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Flank Steak Skewers - Issue #64 by pjcooks (I'm looking at this ...)
Here ya be PJ:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Flank Steak Skewers

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Beef-Veal

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds flank steak

Preheat grill to medium. Make the chimichurri rojo.

Prepare steak, slicing against the grain at 45° angle into 1/4"-thick strips.

Toss meat in chimichurri to coat.

Thread 4-5 strips (6 oz) onto each of 4 metal skewers. Fold each strip accordian-style, then spear through the center with the skewer. Spread strips down length of the skewer.

Grill skewers, covered, for 3 minutes. Turn, baste with remaining chimichurri, and grill, covered, for 3 more minutes. Serve with rice, black beans, and salsa.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome, August '07, pgs 6 & 7"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chimichurri Rojo

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Marinades-Seasonings-Rubs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Whisk Together
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt -- to taste

Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome, August '07, pgs 6 & 7"
Yield:
"1 cup"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Flank Steak Skewers - Issue #64 by bjcotton (Here ya be PJ:[br][b...)
Thanks, Billy, you're such a sweetheart! I appreciate your posting this for me!

PJ
PJ
These flank steak skewers were so good. I love everything I have made from this issue. We had the Pork Florentine on Wednesday, the skewers last night and we are having the turkey tandoori tonight.
  Re: Re: Flank Steak Skewers - Issue #64 by Emmasmum (These flank steak sk...)
Anxious to hear how you like the tandoori.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Flank Steak Skewers - Issue #64 by cjs (Anxious to hear how ...)
The tandorri was fantastic. I thought that the pizza dough naan was great and much better than store bought naan. The turkey was great I marinated it overnight and it was so great. The only thing we did not like was the peach thing. We ended up using just the proper mango chutney we had and it was much better. I also just served mine with basmati rice. We did not make the riata as I was not sure what it would be like without the mint and with my husband being on coumadin I try to avoid the green leafy herbs if possible.
  Re: Re: Flank Steak Skewers - Issue #64 by Emmasmum (The tandorri was fan...)
thanks for the review - this is moving up the list faster and faster!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Flank Steak Skewers - Issue #64 by cjs (thanks for the revie...)
I appreciate the review also. This is one recipe I am anxious to try also. Will be doing this one soon.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."