Poppers & Japanese Meatballs
  Re: (...)
Tried two from Issue #64 last nite - and we were not good last nite either...

The Jalapeno poppers were very good - I only made five, but made the entire amount of filling (my first mistake ) And we only ate two each of the poppers, leaving one popper... While they were tasty, I don't know if I'll make this particular one agaain, I do have a couple that we really, really like.

Then we tried the Japanese Meatballs with the Teriyaki sauce. We both loved this, but this is where we got ourselves into trouble.

I thawed some plain rice out, mixed it with the leftover jalapeno filling and minced up the leftover jalapeno and sprinkled the rest of the corn chips/chili powder over. Oh my was that ever tasty!! How could it not be, with all those flavors?

The meatballs are a great do ahead dish - at dinner time I just had to grill them for a little while, they were made early in the day. I made smaller meatballs (1 oz. each), so I have some to freeze for later. The combination of the meatballs, rice and teriyaki drizzled over - really good!! I will make this one again and 'try' to just serve plain rice with it

[Image: JapaneseGrill.jpg]

I still had pineapple from a dinner that I can't talk about yet, so grilled that up also - oh my, what a sweet treat!!

(Billy - one cup equivalent of pineapple is only 2mg of sodium!! and grilling it makes it so wonderful!!!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by cjs (Tried two from Issue...)
That would make an excellent dessert for all of us. I wish I had my gas grill up here. They only have the Weber charcoal and I don't do charcoal [don't know how ]
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by bjcotton (That would make an e...)
and if you cut it up and mix with hot rice - what a great side dish.

You could also saute it up in a skillet (no butter or fat - just spray) or broil, maybe?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by cjs (and if you cut it up...)
Good ideas. You don't know how much I appreciate the extra info you've been posting Dear One!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by bjcotton (Good ideas. You don...)
Billy, if you want a small portable gas grill, I saw one recently at Walmart that wasn't expensive at all, under $30 as I recall. We take one with us when we do our beach vacation and it works just fine.

Jean, your photos make me hungry!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by cjs (and if you cut it up...)
Jean, those meatballs are on my do-soon list. Since #64 seems to have grown legs, were they turkey or beef?

Your next career should be food photography!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by pjcooks (Jean, those meatball...)
The meatballs were made with ground turkey.

Thank you for the compliments on the pictures. When I was in school, we had to log/document 6,000 hours of cooking methods with recipes and pictures or drawings. Roy got quite used to eating 'lukewarm' food. He thot that was all behind him till we all learned how to post pictures!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by cjs (Tried two from Issue...)
Quote:

Then we tried the Japanese Meatballs with the Teriyaki sauce.

Jean,

Could you please post the Japansese Meatball recipe? I don't see it in the thread, nor elsewhere on the site. I did find one other instance of it on the web, but it appeared to have an error in it.

Quote:

I made smaller meatballs (1 oz. each)...

What was the diameter of them, and how many did it yield at that size?

Quote:

...so I have some to freeze for later.

Did you freeze them already grilled, and with the sauce already on them? If so, how well did the frozen ones turn out; if not, how well do you think it would work, for entertaining, to have them ready and frozen, then just to reheat them in the oven when ready to use?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh Wow! this was in the archives!! "06/27/07" - don't know if I can answer your questions Labs or not. will try -

I'll type up the recipe in a minute.

Can't remember the diameter, but I wrote on the recipe that I used 1 1/4 lbs. of meat (must have been what my pkg. contained) and made 21 meatballs from it.

I have no recollection of how I froze them, but I'm guessing without any sauce but probably completely cooked so I'd just have to heat them up - but I'm guessing.

Forgot all about this one - it was so good! I agree the picture makes me hungry too!

Japanese Meatballs with Teriyaki Sauce

After the meatballs have been sautéed, they can be chilled for up to a day before grilling.
Makes 20 meatballs, 3/4 cup sauce (hadn’t noticed the number, so I was right on)

2/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 water
2 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken or pork
1/4 cup scallions, minced
2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 egg white, lightly beaten
Salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 T. vege oil, divided

Line a b. sheet with parchment and coat lightly with nonstick spray.

Boil soy sauce, sherry, sugar, water, and 2 T. ginger in a saucepan until thickened and reduced to 3/4 cup, 13-15 min. Set sauce aside.

Combine chicken or pork, scallions, 2 tsp. ginger, sesame oil, egg white, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Shape mixture into 1 1/2" balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Heat 1 T. oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the meatballs and sauté until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sauté remaining meatballs in 1 T. oil. When cool, thread 2 meatballs onto each of 10 skewers. Preheat grill to medium-high.

Grill skewers for about 2 minutes, turning occasionally. Dip each skewer in soy sauce mixture, allowing excess to drip off, then return skewers to the grill and cook 2-3 minutes longer. Dip one more time, and then grill until deep brown in color. Dip skewers into sauce again before serving.

-----

If I were doing these ahead of time, because of the double dipping in sauce while grilling, I think I'd freeze after the sauteing and finish them off just before serving on a grill. Is that doable for you at the last minute?

Also, the sauce would probably freeze very well. From my notes and the directions stating the size balls to make, mine must have been 1 1/2" in diameter/1 oz. each = 21 meatballs. The 1/4 lb. more would give you what, 4-5 more meatballs?

darn, I'm so anxious for summer, grilling and all that goes with it!! I guess we're all pretty tired of winter!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Poppers & Japanese Meatballs by cjs (Oh Wow! this was in ...)
Great! Thanks. I'll be going to the store this morning, and would like to give these a test run tonight, including putting some into the freezer. Then I'll be able to present them and the Mini Monte Cristo sandwiches as a couple more options from which a friend may choose. So far, she wants a batch of the Lumpia and a batch of the Mushroom and Chicken Sausage Rolls. She would also like some kind of meatballs, and these just sounded better for this kind of thing that the usual Swedish or sweet-and-sour meatballs. The Mini Monte Cristos could also be an interesting novelty, and were something I just dreamed up, but haven't mentioned to her yet.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?