Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano
  Re: (...)
If you are not a purist who believes you should NEVER have cheese with fish/seafood, here’s a recipe that sounds absolutely wonderful and I just put ~5 lbs. of salmon in the freezer!! Does this just sound delicious or what?

Pan-Grilled Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano

Serves 4
Suggested wine: Pinot Grigio; Soave

4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
6 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed, & cut into 1/2” slices
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
Kosher or Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
4 center-cut salmon fillets (about 6 oz. each), skin on and scaled, pin bones removed, skin dried by wiping with a knife. (see note below)
2 T. olive oil
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

In a 10” sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat & swirl to coat the pan. Add the leeks and sauté, stirring frequently, till they just begin to brown, 8-10 min. (Reduce the heat to low if the leeks begin to darken and get crisp at the edges.)

Add the broth, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Adjust the heat so the broth is barely at a simmer, partially cover the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and the leeks are very tender, 35-45 min. (The leeks should be very moist but not soupy at all.)

Uncover and raise the heat to reduce the liquid, if necessary. Add salt & pepper to taste. Cover and keep warm.

To pan-grill the salmon, rub it on all sides with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Heat a large grill pan, preferably cast iron, over high heat until almost smoking. Add the salmon, skin side up, and sear on one side till beautiful grill marks are etched across the fillets. About 4 minutes. (If desired, after 3 min., turn the fillet a quarter turn, still skin side up, to create crosshatch marks.)

Turn the fillets, skin side down, and cook till the salmon is almost opaque throughout, but still very moist, or an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers between 125F. and 130F, about 4 minutes longer.

To serve, place a portion of braised leeks in the center of 4 warmed dinner plates or shallow pasta bowls. Top with a piece of salmon and scatter a generous amount of the Parmesan over the salmon and leeks. Serve immediately. (It will seem like an overly generous amount of Parmesan to scatter over the top, but it’s perfect and utterly delicious)

NOTE: Skin-drying Salmon - to make the skin “wafer-thin crunchy” (Jean’s note – Salmon skin is like eating candy, if you have not tried it!!) . The critical technique is to remove as much water as possible from the skin of the fish before cooking it.

“Remove some of that water mechanically, by drawing a knife blade firmly back and forth over the fish, the way a wiper blade moves across a windshield. The pressure compresses the skin and squeezes the water to the surface, and the knife blade carries it away. Repeat this until no more water rises to the surface.” Periodically wipe the knife blade clean with a paper towel to remove what looks like grayish scum.
-----

This recipe is from a book by Diane Morgan, “Salmon” – it’s a gorgeous, mouth-watering cookbook!!!!! She has a Salmon Hash that is next on my list!

Man, I hope Ron gives in and comes back to the forum to see this one!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by cjs (If you are not a pur...)
You had me at salmon!!!! This is on the list for next week! (These folks will be eating really well). Thanks, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by Lorraine (You had me at salmon...)
This sounds really good, Jean. So glad I have salmon in the freezer. I've heard that Italians would never think of putting cheese on fish, but I think they are missing out.

Thanks for the tip on how to get the crispy skin. Ron is going to love this!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by Lorraine (You had me at salmon...)
I just bought a few pounds of wild salmon filets and this sound so good.

I wish my leeks would grow a little faster in the garden... they look like big green onions but are 1/10th of what they will be.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by cjs (If you are not a pur...)
This gets a try!! OK, I'm not a fan of fish skin but this is the second time you have referred to salmon skin as "candy"---I will give it a try too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by Mare749 (This sounds really g...)
OOOOO Salmon----any way, any time!!!! Gonna do this one as soon as I can find some nice fresh salmon---seems to be at a premium here lately. Into MC immediately----I like the idea of parmaggiano with this dish----never would have thought of that to be a taste choice but sure sounds good!!!

BABY leeks, nothing like them!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by Roxanne 21 (OOOOO Salmon----an...)
We had a 'business dinner' last nite and decided to make this - I was disappointed. It wasn't bad, but certainly nothing to rave about and it sounded so good! Definitely too much Parmesan (even for me ) and I for sure did not care for her way of cooking the salmon. I had planned on grilling it, but it was just raining too hard to be out there - and decided to give it a try. Uh-huh.

Scraping the skin, tho, is a wonderful method for making the skin even more crispy than normal - it was wonderful!

But, it's one of those that I want to play with, it was good enuf not to write off - and seeing as how all the components are winners, gotta give it another try.

I tried some new starters from Whole Foods (website) also, things I hadn't made before and was not overly impressed with them either. A White Bean and Gorgonzola Topping that was the worst. The Winter Squash Crostini was pretty good tasting, but not a very appetizing looking offering. And, lastly, Prosciutto, Brie and Apricot Wraps. This one was the best of the three, but...

It's a good thing the guys know I'm a better cook than it showed last nite or I'd have been embarrassed. As it was, they are all used to me experimenting on them.

For Dessert, we had Weight Watcher Ice Cream bars - they got a hoot out of that! with a good wine, of course. (But I had a clear conscience.... )

What a crappy evening, food wise, overall! Haven't had one of those for a long time. And the thing that pisses me off the most, is when the first recipe I try from a book does not work out, it seems to set the pace for the rest of the book. And I had such high hopes for it. But...I will try the Salmon Hash - give her one more chance.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by cjs (We had a 'business d...)
Jean, I'm sorry your dinner was a disappointment. We all know what that's like. Thanks for reviewing the recipe, also. Salmon is one of our favorites and if I'd had the leeks, probably would have tried this one yesterday.

Instead, I used the dry rub recipe that you posted recently, and it was absolutely fantastic. Ron said it was the best salmon recipe yet. It's going to be hard to top that one.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by Mare749 (Jean, I'm sorry your...)
Oh, the Tom Douglas rub???? We love that too!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Salmon on Braised Leeks with Parmigiano-Reggiano by Mare749 (Jean, I'm sorry your...)
I'm always looking out for new salmon recipes (my favorite so far is the one from the Weeknight Menus) -- what is the dry rub recipe? Thanks!