Alternative Recipes
  Re: (...)
Hi all, was wondering if anyone has ever modify recipes to adjust the vitamin K content due to being on Coumadin? My husband was admitted into hospital last week with a clot in leg and lungs. he has made great recovery but we obviously now need to be aware of the vitamin k and the effects it has with the meds. The main things that you have to watch is dark leafy greens but it is sort of overwhelming to take in all that information and any help would be greatly appreciated.
  Re: Alternative Recipes by Emmasmum (Hi all, was wonderi...)
Hope all continues to go well with your husband---that Coumadin is a nightmare but the good news is that he will probably not be on it forever--hopefully. (Unless he has had a valve replacement---although my Mom had the replacement and came off her Coumadin after a year---so, depends on relevant circumstances.

Now---there really is no modification in recipes to be made---those items with Vit K should be totally eliminated. I know that butter lettuce is the only green that can be eaten without monitoring. There is a site www.dietitian.com/vitamink.html - that may help a bit.

Good luck and keep us posted with his progress and how you make changes and/or substitutions.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Alternative Recipes by Roxanne 21 (Hope all continues t...)
I will add him to my prayers. The people on this website are great people and will send good energy and prayers your way.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I hope all will be well with the monitoring you both will have to do. I just know nothing about this vitamin, but will certainly be on the look out for you.

Keep us posted on how you're managing - good luck.

Looking at the food chart Roxanne posted, for me anyway, it would not be a hardship - this diet. Have you talked to the dietician at your hospital? She/He would probably have all kinds of similar 'yes and no' charts for you.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Alternative Recipes by cjs (I hope all will be w...)
Not sure if this will help or not. Have you spoken with a nutritionist at the hospital? If he's not going to be on it long you can adjust your dietary needs for now.

Good mojo coming your way Please keep us posted on his condition and if there's any research I can help with do not hesitate to ask!!

Food Serving Vitamin K (mcg)
Olive oil 1 Tablespoon 6.6
Soybean oil 1 Tablespoon 26.1
Canola oil 1 Tablespoon 19.7
Mayonnaise 1 Tablespoon 11.9
Broccoli, cooked 1 cup (chopped) 420
Kale, raw 1 cup (chopped) 547
Spinach, raw 1 cup (chopped) 120
Leaf lettuce, raw 1 cup (shredded) 118
Swiss chard, raw 1 cup (chopped) 299
Watercress, raw 1 cup (chopped) 85
Parsley, raw 1 cup (chopped) 324
  Re: Re: Alternative Recipes by DFen911 (Not sure if this wil...)
Thank you to you all for the info and support. I have not spoken with the dietitian at the hospital. To be honest, that time was such a blur and I have only now have sort of soaked in all in. But again thank you for the prayers and advice
  Re: Re: Alternative Recipes by Emmasmum (Thank you to you all...)
All I can do is add him to my prayers, too. I'm so sorry you both are going through this.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
My husband has been taking Coumadin for several years because of an irregular heartbeat. 7.5mg 5 days a week and 10mg the other 2 days. I don't know how that compares with the amount which your husband is taking and my advice will probably be moot if he takes a larger dose.

The most important thing to remember is to keep the level of Vitamin K steady. The Coumadin thins blood to prevent clots, vitamin K "thickens" it to help form clots (to put it very basically). Eating large quantities of foods containing vitamin K will negate the effects of the Coumadin.

When your husband's bloodwork is done, this shows how much Coumadin he needs to take. If he eats a diet with spinach, broccoli, and other foods containing vitamin K and this diet is consistent, the amount of Coumadin prescribed will offset the vitamin K. Since many foods that contain vitamin K also contain other vital nutrients, it's not good to eliminate them altogether.

This will explain it better:
http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtot39.htm

Hope this helps!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com