Dumb People
  Re: (...)
People in this area are still hesitant to buy spinach, so Jack and Florence are plowing under a lot of what they planted. So far they have plowed under $900 worth of seed. We, on the other hand, are reveling in an abundance of spinach and mesclun. We went down a little while ago and got a leaf garbage bag full of each. So tonight I'm making Garlic Creamed Spinach; tomorrow we're having Garlic Sautéed Spinach; then spinach salad; I think I just might make Quiche Lorraine. Any other suggestions? I love spinach.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Dumb People by bjcotton (People in this area ...)
What a shame. I guess it's too late to call soup kitchens to see if they wanted to pick to their hearts' content.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
What a crime to lose so much of the crop!

You could freeze a lot ... From Iowa State Univ Extension:

What is the best method for freezing spinach and other greens?

Sort spinach or desired greens and remove tough stems. Blanch most leafy greens 2 minutes. Blanch very tender spinach 1 1/2 minutes. Blanch collards and stem portions of Swiss chard 3 to 4 minutes. Chill in ice water. Pack tightly in freezer bags or rigid containers. Squeeze as much air as possible from bags before sealing. Leave 1/2 inch headspace for expansion in containers.

If you type "spinach" in to search in MC, you will get oodles of recipes. I was looking for Spanakopitta for you.

These little bites are great. I haven't made this recipe (I usually just buy them at Sam's Club), but would guess that you could make them and freeze them for quick and easy appetizers.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spanakopitta

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 90 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizer

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 ounces onion -- small dice
6 ounces unsalted butter -- melted
24 ounces fresh spinach -- cooked and cooled, or frozen spinach, thawed
1 tablespoon fresh mint -- chopped
1 pound feta cheese -- crumbled
3 eggs -- beaten
salt and pepper -- to taste
1 pound phyllo dough

1. Sauté the onions in 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) of butter until
tender. Remove and cool.

2. Combine the cooled onions, spinach, mint, feta and beaten eggs. Season
with salt and pepper and mix well.

3. Spread one sheet of phyllo dough on the work surface; brush with melted
butter. Place another sheet of phyllo on top of the first; brush it with
butter. Place a third sheet of phyllo on top of the second and brush it
with butter as well.

4. Cut the dough into 2-inch (5-centimeter) wide strips.

5. Place 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) of the spinach on the end of each
strip of phyllo.

6. Starting with the end of the dough strip with the spinach, fold one
corner of the dough over the spinach mixture to the opposite side of the
strip to form a triangle. Continue folding the dough, keeping it in a
triangular shape, like point-folding a flag.

7. Place the phyllo triangles on a sheet pan and brush with melted butter.
Bake at 375ºF (190ºC) until brown and crispy, approximately 20 minutes.

Yield: 90 Pieces

Source:
"Chapter 28 - Hors d'Soeuvre and Canapes"
Copyright:
"© 2003 by Prentice-Hall, Inc."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 47 Calories; 3g Fat (75.4% calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 16mg
Cholesterol; 89mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Because MasterCook's Ingredient List may not include all
of the ingredients listed in this recipe, we have
displayed the recipe's nutritional analysis as it appears
in the ON COOKING book.

Approximate values per piece: Calories 45, Total fat 3 g,
Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 105 mg, Total
carbohydrates 3 g, Protein 2 g, Vitamin A 8%, Claims— low
fat; low cholesterol; no sugar
What a shame! We love spinach. I wish it was a closer drive!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
That is such a shame that so much had to be plowed under. People just don't understand enough about it, I guess. I love spinach also, sure wish I lived closer!

Anyway, for ideas, how about spinach dip, you know, the kind that goes into a pumpernickel round? And spinach, asian style, with some garlic, a dash of hoisin, a dash of sesame seed oil, and a little rice wine vinegar? Also, how about a spinach souffle? I've never made one, but I sure do love it. Freezing some is a super idea. In the colder weather, I love to add a couple of handfuls to a pot of soup.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
A pork T-loin roulade w/a spinach stuffing- for that matter, pounded, stuffed and rolled chix breasts or a flank steak, maybe?

C@H #50 (April 2005) has a great stuffed flank steak that I love. There's another, earlier issue that shows a nifty way to butterfly a flank, but of course I can't find it right now!

Will look when I get home from work

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Dumb People by pjcooks (A pork T-loin roulad...)
I can't remember if you all like couscous, Billy, but spinach is great mixed in with it - to be served hot or cold - add some Mediterranean flavors and you're all set to go.

how about Italian Wedding Soup??

ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP

Meatballs:
1 small onion grated or chopped very fine
1/3 cup or more chopped FRESH Italian parsley
1 large egg
3 cloves finely minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. hot or sweet Italian sausage removed from casing (I prefer the hot) -- (1/2 to 3/4)
Freshly ground black pepper
For the Soup:
12 cups chicken broth (I used 6 cups homemade -- 3 cans Swanson broth)
3 cups chopped kale
4 cups escarole (can use any combination of spinach -- endive, escarole and kale)
2 large eggs
3 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper

Meatballs: Mix the first 6 ingredieints in a large bowl to blend. Add the cheese, beef , and Italian sausage meat. Using about 2 teaspoons for each roll into balls. You can brown the meatballs for more flavor but it's not necessary. I did.

For the Soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium/high heat. Add the meatballs and greens and simmer til the meatballs and greens are tender and cooked through about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and cheese together in a bowl. When soup is done, stir the egg/cheese mixture slowly into the soup using a circular motion with a fork to get the strands from the eggs. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Try not to eat the entire pot at one time. LOL

Tip: Browning the meatballs in a little olive oil adds an extra step, but gives so much flavor it's worth the effort. You will yield about 32 to 36 meatballs.

Put on some good music and sit at your kitchen table to roll the balls. It's sooooo relaxing.

My mother made this soup often when I was little but I have no idea how she made it. I do remember that there was some kind of pastina so I used a small pasta called Freggola Sarda I got from Whole Foods. This pasta is about the size of tiny bb's. You can use pastina or any other tiny pasta for this. Truly comfort food.

+++++++++++++++___

Description:
"giada's recipe tweeked a little by VegasDramaQueen - 4/07"

----

Tom's Grand Rapids First Joseph's Torte - that we all loved!!

and here's one from Mike Rodman -

Rods84
MUSHROOM MEDLEY WITH SPINACH

2 teaspoons oriental sesame oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps sliced
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
4 ounces small oyster mushrooms
1 10-ounce package ready-to-use spinach leaves, stems trimmed
6 green onions, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Lemon wedges

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, ginger and garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add all mushrooms and sauté until brown and tender, adding 2 to 3 tablespoons water if mixture is dry, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and green onions and stir until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Serve, passing lemon wedges to squeeze over.

Description:
"a nice side dish to Prime Rib."
----

have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dumb People by Half_Baked (What a shame. I gue...)
There are TONS of recipes for spinach----sure wish I could pick my favorite---I purchase a bag of fresh spinach every week---always used for something!!!! I'll dig around and see what I can find. I use fresh spinach leaves for spring rolls, hot spinach salads, there is a wonderful spinach souffle in one of the C@H issues---I know you're not crazy about souffles but you may want to try it---?? I think you may like that particular one---go to Members Plus---I'm sure it's there.

It's also great in a minestrone soup!! Let us know what you make, Billy----PLEASE!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dumb People by Roxanne 21 (There are TONS of re...)
I've never made a souffle Roxanne. Everyone has been encouraging me to make one, but I just haven't done it. I want to make the pavlova, but have never whipped egg whites and wouldn't know if they have been over/under whipped. I've only made whipped cream once. When I make a pie that's supposed to have a meringue topping, I just skip that part.

I've been meaning to see if MembersPlus has a video about egg whites, but today's rainy and humid AND laundry day. So it'll just have to wait.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dumb People by Mare749 (That is such a shame...)
Does anyone have a tried and true spinach souffle recipe? Florence [the one who gave me the spinach] mentioned how much she likes it, so I want to make it for her.

Billy