June 18 menu review WARNING!
  Re: (...)
I made the red-cooked chicken today. The chicken itself is very flavorful, but the sauce, once it is cooked down according to the directions, is unbearably salty. Perhaps I cooked it down too long, but the directions say to cook it until syrupy, which is what I did. It took about 15 minutes, though, and not 3-5 minutes. If you're going to make it, perhaps taste your sauce before cooking it down....
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! by jenni (I made the red-cooke...)
Thank you, Jenni, I've had the same experience w/other recipes, and I've decided it's not cheating to warn others of things like this. None of us want to waste good food and valuable time, when a small fix can save a dish for us all.

Thank you!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! by pjcooks (Thank you, Jenni, I'...)
Amen to that! Thanks Jenni.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Jenni, I agree. I had the exact same problem.

I would add squirts of the soy sauce to the pan after adding the other ingredients and taste it all along. The whole bottle was overwhelming.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! by Half_Baked (Jenni, I agree. I ha...)
Same here made it for supper tonite and hadn't seen the warning, very disappointing. However, we can still review the Sushi Salad on the 18
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Thanks Jenni. I've had that problem a few other times, and it just kind of ruins the whole dish because you can't really do anything about it. I'm glad you warned us, because I was thinking of making this tomorrow.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
What are the ingredients in the sauce? I missed this thread.
  Re: Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! by DFen911 (What are the ingredi...)
Here ya go!

OK, I only have one lone issue of C@H that hasn't been packed and stored at our new house, so my choices were limited. :-) I decided to keep things relatively quick and easy, since it's summer and we're all doing lots of other fun things!

Menu:

Red-cooked Chicken (Feb. 2007)
Sushi-Roll Rice Salad (Feb. 2007)
Mandarin orange sections
Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches (from Eating Well, April 2007)

Red-cooked Chicken
1 bottle low-sodium soy sauce (10 oz.)
1/3 c. dry sherry
1/2 c. scallions, chopped
3 T. brown sugar
2 slices fresh ginger
2 star anise pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
4 chicken hindquarters, skin removed
sliced scallions

Bring first 8 ingredients to a boil in a large saute pan over high heat.
Add chicken, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and reduce heat to medium. Simmer 30 mins., then turn chicken over; cover and cook an additional 10 mins. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
Boil braising liquid, uncovered, until syrupy, 3-5 mins. Strain sauce through a sieve into a bowl and spoon off any fat that rises. Brush sauce onto chicken to coat.
Garnish with scallions and serve with extra dipping sauce.

Sushi-Roll Rice

3 T. rice vinegar
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. sugar
1 t. wasabi paste
4 c. hot cooked white rice
3/4 c. carrot, julienned
3/4 c. cucumber, halved, seeded, and sliced into half-moons
3/4 c. edamame, shelled, thawed
1/4 c. scallions, sliced
salt to taste
1 T. sesame seeds, toasted

Whisk first 4 ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
Toss rice, carrot, cucumber, edamame, scallions, and vinegar mixture together in a large bowl. Season with salt.
Garnish with sesame seeds.

Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches

Vanilla wafers
Raspberry sorbet

Top a vanilla wafer with 1 T. sorbet. Top with another vanilla wafer to make mini sandwiches. Freeze for at least 30 minutes to firm up.

I happen to have vanilla wafers and raspberry sorbet on hand, but I also have chocolate graham crackers and coffee ice cream, so I intend to make some variations on this idea. What other creative ideas can we come up with??

--------------------
-jenni
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! by Half_Baked (Here ya go![br][br]O...)
To fix the sauce issue is pretty easy. Either remove 1/3 of the remaining liquid and add chicken stock (not broth you find in cans) or add an addition 1/3 stock to the remaining liquid.

Low sodium soy sauce still have a lot of sodium. When you reduce it even that low amount of sodium becomes concentrated, up to 5 times depending on reduction.

Over all the menu sounds really good
  Re: Re: June 18 menu review WARNING! by DFen911 (To fix the sauce iss...)
All I can say is reducing the sauce 3-5 min. does not significantly concentrate the salt in the soy, just makes it a tad syrupy - we had no problem with the saltiness and we use salt very sparingly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com