Rhubarb Lemon Ginger Marmalade
  Re: (...)
I'm sure Lorraine won't mind my sharing this great maramalade with you all - it's so tasty! Just made a batch and I'm only sharing with the neighbor who supplies us with the rhubarb! (read stingy)

Rhubarb Lemon Ginger Marmalade*****

It's rhubarb season here!!! A co-worker gave me a jar she had made. The flavour was great, and the jar finished in no time! Last week, she gave me the recipe and a bag of rhubarb. Here's the recipe, adapted from her grandmother's 1945 version that called for sealing it with paraffin, and the co-worker came up with adding the fresh ginger. I've used it with grilled / baked meats, on sandwiches, and as a glaze when grilling.

1 pound rhubarb
1 lemon
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger (or more to taste)

Wash rhubarb and cut into thin slices without peeling. Wash lemon and zest it. Add rind to rhubarb with the sugar, mix, and let stand overnight. Add juice of lemon, bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, cook, stirring often, until thick.

Sterilize jars according to manufacturer's instructions. Fill jars, remove air bubbles, wipr rims clean, seal, and process in hot water bath for 5 minutes.

Makes 3 X 6 oz jars

My co-worker does not process them, she adds the hot mixture to the hot jars, seals them, then keeps them in fridge.

Edited to add, I just made a quadruple batch (12 jars), in 2 double batches. The first batch, I followed the directions. The 2nd double batch, I added an extra tbsp of ginger, and reduced the heat to medium / low, as it was wanting to scorch. If you have a good pot (I wish I had a Le Creuset) you'll be ok, otherwise, watch it like a hawk.

"Lorraine posted this 6/9/07"
-----

I used ~1 1/2 T. ginger to a single batch, so I guess we should just play with the amount. I got side-tracked and cooked mine a little longer than I should have, but oh well, I can melt it down for a glaze. It sure is tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Rhubarb Lemon Ginger Marmalade by cjs (I'm sure Lorraine wo...)
I'm glad you liked it, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Rhubarb Lemon Ginger Marmalade by Lorraine (I'm glad you liked i...)
This sounds very good, Jean. Thanks for posting it. I like to try new marmalades, chutneys, and jams. When you mentioned paraffin, it sure brought back memories. My mom used to make grape jelly every year when I was a kid, and she always put paraffin on the top.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."