Looking for some yummy desserts
  Re: (...)
I am looking for some recipes that would be similar to the honey lemon tart with the berries that was in the June or August of 2006 (it was the one on the cover). My husband loves that but having it three times a month as sort of killed it for me. I would like to find something that would be as light as that.
  Re: Looking for some yummy desserts by Emmasmum (I am looking for som...)
Hi Emmasmum,
Have you tried the buttermilk pie from April 2004? If you don't have that issue (Issue 44) I can post the recipe for you. Or someone can fetch it out of Member's Plus We use plain yogurt instead of buttermilk for that one. It's light and has a lemon and a lime version.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Looking for some yummy desserts by farnfam (Hi Emmasmum,[br]Have...)
You mean these Cis?

Lemon Buttermilk Pie with Strawberry Topping
(Cuisine at home, April 2004, Issue 44, p. 49)

Makes: One 9-inch pie Total Time: 1 Hour + Cooling Rating: Easy

For the Lemon Buttermilk Pie —
Whisk Together:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 T. all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 t. vanilla extract
Minced zest and juice of 1 lemon
Pinch salt

Pour into:
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell

For the Strawberry Topping —
Heat; Pour over:
1/4 cup honey
Juice of 1 lime
2 pints strawberries, hulled, halved

Preheat oven to 350°.

Whisk pie ingredients together in a large bowl until blended.

Pour into pie shell and place on a baking sheet. Bake until filling is just set, yet still a bit jiggly, 40 - 50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature; chill if not serving right away. (Let chilled pie stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.)

Heat honey and lime juice for strawberry topping until melted. Pour over berries and let stand at least 5 minutes. Just before serving, arrange on pie with a slotted spoon.

Lime-Coconut Buttermilk Pie
(Cuisine at home, April 2004, Issue 44, p. 48)

Makes: One 9–Inch Pie Total Time: 1 Hour + Cooling Rating: Easy

Whisk Together:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 T. all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 t. vanilla extract
Minced zest and juice of 1 lime
Pinch salt

Pour into:
1 9"–inch pie shell

Preheat oven to 350°.

Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl until blended.

Pour into pie shell and place on a baking sheet. Bake until filling is just set, yet still a bit jiggly, 40 - 50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature; chill if not serving right away. (Let chilled pie stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.)
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Looking for some yummy desserts by bjcotton (You mean these Cis?[...)
Yes, that's them. Nice of you to post them BJ, when Emmasmum gets back they'll be already for her
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
Emmasmum, I don't make light desserts -- we make them infrequently and go for rich and sinful ones. When there's a thread for those, I'll have some to post.
I'm with your husband, emmasmum, I love a good lemon dessert, but most of them are just not really good for you types!!

Altho, there is one idea I used to do a lot when all the kids were home - lemon and chocolate filled crepes, the whole family just loved these little goodies. And, I don't think they'd be a really bad dessert to have.

In case you don't have a recipe for either, here's an idea for you -

Lemon Curd

4 fluid ounces Lemon juice
6 1/2 ounces Granulated sugar
2 teaspoons Lemon zest -- grated fine
2 eggs -- to 3
6 ounces Unsalted butter -- room temperature

Combine the lemon juice, 3 ounces of the sugar and the zest in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil.

Place the eggs and remaining sugar in a non-reactive bowl. Mix well without aerating.

Temper the egg mixture with one quarter of the boiling juice. Add the remaining juice and return to the stove.

Bring the mixture to a boil while whisking vigorously. Continue mixing and boil for one minute.

Remove from the heat and chill over an ice bath until the mixture reaches 120°F (55°C).

Add the butter in five parts, stirring well with a spatula after each addition.

Use immediately to fill a pie or tart shell or chill, cover and refrigerate.

Yield: 1 lb. 4 oz.

Crêpes

Recipe By :The American Culinary Federation
Serving Size : 10

3 each Eggs
10 fluid ounces Milk
4 ounces All-purpose flour
1 ounce Butter -- melted
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 fluid ounces Vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients except the oil in the bowl of a food processor or blender and blend for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process another minute, until the batter is very smooth. (To mix by hand, combine the liquid ingredients with a wire whip. Add the flour and salt and heat until smooth.) Adjust the consistency of the batter with water or flour, as needed. The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream. Let the batter rest, refrigerated, for 30 minutes.

Heat a crêpe pan over medium-high heat. Brush it lightly with some of the oil. Ladle about 3 tablespoons of batter in the center of the pan. Tilt the pan to swirl the batter over the surface to the edges. Cook the crêpe until the edges are brown and the underside is golden. Flip and cook for 1 minute more.

Slide the crêpe onto a plate. Repeat the procedure with the remaining butter. Stack the finished crepes slightly off-center, so they will be easier to separate. To serve the crêpes, fill them, if desired, and roll them or fold them in quarters or in a pocket-fold.

------------

hmmmm, haven't thot of nor made these for years..... Madmax, remember them?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for some yummy desserts by cjs (I'm with your husban...)
YUM those sound wonderful and actually quite elegeant, Jean. If I used skim milk and egg sub, would that work?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Looking for some yummy desserts by farnfam (YUM those sound wond...)
I have no idea....worth a try tho. lose a little creaminess and/or thickness??? I've not worked much with egg sub.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for some yummy desserts by HomeCulinarian (Emmasmum, I don't ma...)
Quote:

Emmasmum, I don't make light desserts -- we make them infrequently and go for rich and sinful ones. When there's a thread for those, I'll have some to post.

I was never a dessert person until I met him but he is very into his "puddings". With it being summer I think he just liked the "lightness" of this dessert as opposed to heavy chocolate cake or like a heavy type "christmas pudding". I had a crumble recipe that I would make and serve with custard but since it was all I knew how to make it sort of became boring very fast.

Thanks for all the recipes thus far. I will give them all a shot.

Emmasmum
  Re: Re: Looking for some yummy desserts by Emmasmum ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here's something you can stuff with the Lemon Curd recipe Jean just gave you. I haven't made these, but others have. I had them in New Zealand and they were wonderful.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rolled Brandy (Ginger) Snaps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup butter -- melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Mix well. Ladle the mixture in small heaps, very well spaced, on to a baking sheet. Place in a preheated oven at 350F and bake for 7-8 minutes. Take cookies out of the oven and wrap each one around a wooden spoon handle, pressing them together where they join so that they do not unroll.

Source:
"Larousse Gastronomique pg 115"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy