Master Cook Question
  Re: (...)
Hi Guys,

I have seen some of you mention Master cook...can you please tell me exactly what it is and if it is worth buying. Is there different kinds and if there is which one is a better one..

Thanks in advance
  Re: Master Cook Question by piano226 (Hi Guys,[br][br]I ha...)
It's software for collecting recipes. I learned about it from this forum, too.

I just got it about a month ago and am no expert. But I will say, that it is very easy to use and has some nice features - searching, shopping lists, preloaded with lots of good looking recipes.

http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html

I ordered off the website above. $19.99 - so far I'd say it's well worth it.
  Re: Master Cook Question by piano226 (Hi Guys,[br][br]I ha...)
Hi piano226,
MasterCook is a software program that is a collection of cookbooks that are easy to reference if you want to search for a recipe. The search can be done by an ingredient or by a name. You can plan menus, keep inventory of your pantry, and make shopping lists. You can easily import recipes into your own cookbooks that you have found on the internet, or on this forum. You can even print/publish your own cookbook. I believe the latest version is 9, and runs around $20. It's worth every penny, and if you have any questions about the program, Billy is the computer guru, and the person to ask.

You will really have fun with this program.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Master Cook Question by Mare749 (Hi piano226,[br]Mast...)
Uh...what was the question? I have been using MasterCook for years, and years. I started with version 3.0 and it's up to 9.0 now...just keeps getting better and better. I think it comes with 12 or so cookbooks and you can add your own, change things from grams to ounces or vice versus and many other things. The only thing I don't like about the program is I can't get its email to work, but work arounds are easy anyway, so, so what? When 9.0 first came out I bought it and began playing with it and learning how to use it...pretty soon Jean had it and then others, so I typed up a bunch of "how to's" and shared them with others. Now a whole bunch of people are using it. Like Jeanette said, it only costs $19.99 and is well worth the price. In addition to the cookbooks that came with the program I have 7 or 8 of my own in it, including Jean's recipes, Maryann's Momma's recipes, etc. If you want to do the work [adding the price of items] it will even help you with cost analysis. Any other questions?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Master Cook Question by bjcotton (Uh...what was the qu...)
WOW ...cool
Buying it for sure.
  Re: Re: Master Cook Question by piano226 (WOW ...cool[br]Buyin...)
If you need any help, let me know. I think Jean still has my "how to" emails. I can't find them lately.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Master Cook Question by bjcotton (If you need any help...)
YOu guys are great....you convinced me and I just purchased it on amazon. Hopefully will get it this week.

Thanks
  Re: Re: Master Cook Question by bjcotton (If you need any help...)
Billy, I THINK I still have them. I am running V8. It is a great software. I bought it becuase a triplet mom group for cooking ahead used it. Wonderful ability for importing recipes off of the internet and sharing. It is sooo good to hear it's email capabilities are not "just me"!!! but there are many ways to work around that. I just love it and have turned many friends on to it.

You will love it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Master Cook Question by esgunn (Billy, I THINK I sti...)
PJ, you won't be sorry - like Billy, I started with 3.0 version years ago and have loved it forever - Share a Recipe cookbook was done on MasterCook and probably subsequent books will be also.

Billy was a great help mastering version 9.0 and I probably have his notes around here....somewhere. (oh good, Erin has them )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Master Cook Question by bjcotton (Uh...what was the qu...)
I also bought MasterCook and we've kind of had nonstop company (3 grandchildren under 3 for 10 days - they left Friday and we're beginning to loosen the straps of my straightjacket) so I haven't had a lot of time to explore it. But I can't even find the table of contents for the books! I'm not very computer saavy.