What the World Eats
  Re: (...)
This is a very interesting photo essay. Take note on how little some survive on ($1.23 a week).

I will admit I was aghast that the United States Family. But happy to say my family doesn't eat that way.

Puts a lot into perspective and makes you appreciate your shopping experience a bit more when you can you pretty much go buy what you want when you want it.

You'll have to cut and paste it. For some reason it doesn't link the whole thing sorry.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519,00.html
  Re: What the World Eats by DFen911 (This is a very inter...)
Wow, Denise, that's an eye opener. I've passed it along.

Thanks for posting this!

PJ
PJ
This was an interesting piece. A woman that I work with that is from India. She said that there they spend about 60% of their income on food. She tells her daughters how lucky they are to have so much good food affordable and available.
That is very interesting, Denise. Thanks for posting it.
It's kind of interesting that the U.S. and Great Britain had so much processed food. It looks like some of the other countries eat a lot more fruits and vegetables than Americans do.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What the World Eats by Mare749 (That is very interes...)
I found this to be a real eye-opener also. It really gave me pause...and it is disturbing, but it made me realize just how lucky we are to have the diversity although it may not be the healthiest choices. So, perhaps we aren't so lucky.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: What the World Eats by Mare749 (That is very interes...)
Interesting indeed. I notice they didn't have anyone from Australia on there, I wonder how they would have stacked up. Probably the same as the UK and US.
  Re: Re: What the World Eats by vannin (Interesting indeed. ...)
Does anyone remember when Boris Yeltsin of Russian toured the US? They had a video of him touring a local grocery store here in the US. Yeltsin broke down in tears. He could not believe the food we had available.

It was a very humbling video to watch.
  Re: Re: What the World Eats by DFen911 (Does anyone remember...)
When my husband was in the US visiting his brother (years ago) he came home remarking on the variety and good value of the fruit and veg. there. Things have looked up here over the last 20 years, as home gardens have diminished. I think it a shame that some veg is not used from the pip (as it were), like pumpkin, it is so lushious, my fav. is roasted, then souped, mashed, patties, anything. The most commonly used here is Queensland Blue, but also the other winter squashes. I have seen kumara frozen here, but everyone laughed so hard they withdrew it. I could never see the point of mixed frozen veg. either, but do like frozen peas, and corn kernels. And of course veggie water from simmering and steaming.
  Re: Re: What the World Eats by DFen911 (Does anyone remember...)
Wow, Denise - what an eye opener! It would have been interesting to see the weekly income in relation to the weekly food bill. I remember Yeltsin's (sp?) visit.

The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp breaks a person's heart!

And the California family? For God's sake where are the fruit and veggies??!!! The so called developed countries didn't fare so well in that piece - at all!!!

It was a pain in the a$$, but I remember having to have -as the family called them - 5 little plops on the plate every night. Meat, veggie, salad, fruit, and bread. The first times Roy & I had just a bowl of soup or a sandwich for dinner after the kids were all gone, I felt so guilty and so liberated!!!!

And the first time we had cheese and crackers for dinner? The world was going to he!! in a hand basket.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What the World Eats by cjs (Wow, Denise - what a...)
I keep going to this site and looking closer at the foods. I can't get over how some families use so many boxes and cans of processed foods.

It would indeed be interesting to see what percentage of their salary/income was spent on food.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.