Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31
  Re: (...)
Ok, so last night I finally made the Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31. I’d been wanting to make that since I first got that issue but put if off because I had no idea where I would be able to find mortadella and prosciutto for the filling. Those ingredients are no longer hard to find, and I felt the urge to make fresh pasta so I decided to try the cannelloni.

First, I will say that it was delicious…next, I will say that I don’t know that I will ever make it again…it was a pain-in-the-you-know-what. I had no idea how long it would take to make so I started at 3:30 thinking I’d have plenty of time…well, I got the darn thing in the oven at 8:30…5 hours of active prep time. I’m sure some of y’all could do it faster, but I sure couldn’t AND I had the help of my wonderful step-daughter. Without her, I think I would’ve given up.

Anyway, it was from-scratch pasta with a beef/mortadella/prosciutto filling with marinara and béchamel sauces. I think I either made the pasta too thin or I overcooked it (or both) because the pasta was slightly too soft for me. I used the thinnest setting (9), but next time I will use the setting before that one (8).

Neither my husband nor my oldest son cared for the béchamel, but the rest of us loved it. My youngest son, who is also my toughest critic, said he could find no flaws in the dish...I love that boy.

The pasta recipe said it would make 32 cannelloni…I didn’t count the sheets as I made them…I got a LOT more than 32. If I make this again, I’ll stop rolling/cutting the pasta when I get 40 or so. I spent too much time cutting pasta I didn’t need. Also, I think if I were to make this again, I’d make the pasta and the marinara the day before to make it a little easier.

It was a lot of work, more than I expected, but I’m glad I finally got around to making it…that’s one more recipe I can cross off my list. And if I ever decide to make it again, at least I’ll know what I’m getting myself into…
Tammy
  Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by TwilightKitten (Ok, so last night I ...)
I doubt I'll ever make anything like Tammy! Reading your experience makes that a certainty Egg noodles rolled out on the table and then cut I can handle, but not that.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by bjcotton (I doubt I'll ever ma...)
I haven't made this particular one, but I made the cannelloni recipe in the Perfect Pasta book. This one calls for the no cook lasagna pasta sheets, that are par boiled and rolled rather than stuffing tubes. I don't have my book here, but I recall that it had prosciutto in the filling.

We really enjoyed it and thought it was special enough to serve to company.
  Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by TwilightKitten (Ok, so last night I ...)
There are some things we just have to try at least once, Tammy and looks like cannelloi was one for you! (for me, it was puff pastry - glad I did it, but really don't care to ever do it again ).

Your dish sounds absolutely wonderful, tho!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by cjs (There are some thing...)
This does sound really good Tammy. If you do decide to make it again, would you use dried pasta rather than making your own? Or do you think it just wouldn't be quite the same? We like fresh made pasta, but I tend to use the dried as well.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by Mare749 (This does sound real...)
I'm so sorry it took so long to reply to this, but I've been so sick for the past 2 weeks. Anyway, I think I would make this with dried pasta at least once. If it doesn't compare then I'd make the fresh, but I'd try to do as much as I could a day or two before.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by TwilightKitten (I'm so sorry it took...)
Thanks, sure hope you are feeling better! It's no fun being sick at any time, but especially not during the summer. Take care of you.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by Mare749 (This does sound real...)
Sometimes, I use eggroll wrappers as pasta. You might want to try them, and that would eliminate the homemade pasta step. I made cannelloni once with dried pasta, and after stuffing the first one and getting more stuffing on me than in the tube, I quickly cut them open, stuffed them, put them together again (seam side down) and proceeded with the rest. It was pretty good, as I recall. I decided stuffing shells was easier. It's just the two of us now and if I make anything like that we have to eat it 3 times/week and hubby gets bored.
  Re: Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by lxxf (Sometimes, I use egg...)
Quote:

It's just the two of us now and if I make anything like that we have to eat it 3 times/week and hubby gets bored.

lol...that's exactly what we did here (and there are 5 of us!). We were all pretty darn sick of it after a few days. I even had to throw some away, which was pretty painful considering all the work I put into it.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Rev: Classic Cannelloni from Issue 31 by lxxf (Sometimes, I use egg...)
I am probably speaking out of turn here - But I know I have seen Cannelloni made with the Barilla flat no bake Lasagna noodles. You just soak them in hot water to soften them, then you can roll and stuff. Just like homemade.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.