Bok Choy
  Re: (...)
Have any of you tried bok choy in a salad? I was munching on it as I chopped two heads for stir-fry and thinking how much I enjoyed the taste. So, I went searching and found several recipes for Bok Choy Salads. They were all pretty much the same and sounded good except for the soy sauce. I sub oyster sauce for the soy because of Fredia, but it's still good. We are having this for supper tonight along with baked beans, corn-on-the-cob and petite sirloin steaks

Here's the basic recipes:

Bok Choy Salad
Bill Cotton

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup either red wine vinegar or white vinegar
3 tablespoons soy or oyster sauce
1/3 cup sugar or to taste
3 tablespoons butter
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 heads bok choy, rough chopped
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, optional
1 package ramen noodles, broken up

Heat the butter over medium to medium-high heat and when bubbles subside, add sesame seeds, slivered almonds and crumbled ramen noodles and sauté until golden brown. Remove the ingredients from the pan and drain on paper towels.

In a small bowl, mix the oil, vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce thoroughly.

Toss the bok choy and green onions in a large bowl; add the ramen noodle mixture and toss; add the dressing and toss again.

Serve immediately.

I'll let you know how it was later this evening.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Bok Choy by bjcotton (Have any of you trie...)
good thread to start, Billy - that salad sounds good (might play with the amount of sugar, maybe.... ). Here's another salad using bok choy that I've made a couple of times (but I forget about it....) I used Napa cabbage and added some green onions.

Asian Coleslaw With Tangy Rice Vinegar Dressing

4 cups shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrot
2 bok choy stalks with leaves
1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts -- (1 1/2 to 2)
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3/4 teaspoon sesame seed oil
Garnish (optional):
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves -- or as desired
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see directions below for link on how to do this)

Wash the vegetables and drain thoroughly. Shred the cabbage and carrots. Separate the bok choy stalks and leaves. Cut the stalks diagonally and cut the leaves straight across. Toss the shredded cabbage, carrots, bok choy and mung bean sprouts in a large bowl.

Set aside.

Stir the olive oil into the rice vinegar. Stir in the sesame seed oil.

Place the dressing in the bottom of a bowl, add the vegetables and toss again. Add the cilantro, if using, and sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top.

NOTES : This recipe uses Asian flavors to liven up a standard coleslaw recipe. To further the Asian influence, try replacing the red cabbage with Napa cabbage.

another note - ramen noodles would be good in this one also - hmmm, I may combine these two...
-----

I hope we get some more ideas, I really like bok choy. I stir fry it a lot, also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bok Choy by cjs (good thread to start...)
OK, the review...this was great tasting. I did play with the sugar as I thought that was to much. I just added it until I thought it tasted right. The whole family enjoyed it and ate it down to the last bite. The greens from the bok choy sometimes have a slightly bitter flavor, which kind of contrasted with the sweetness. Good stuff! Maybe a 7 in my calculations.

Billy
  Re: Re: Bok Choy by bjcotton (OK, the review...thi...)
I thought this would get more of a response since bok choy is so good...guess not everyone likes it.

Billy
  Re: Re: Bok Choy by bjcotton (I thought this would...)
Quote:

I thought this would get more of a response since bok choy is so good...guess not everyone likes it.

Both of these look good, Just have to wait until I have someone to I can feed it to!

I like the idea of the Ramen noodles, like in the Outback's chopped salad. I'm just getting the Picky One to eat Romaine, never mind Bok Choy!

I did print them both off if it makes you feel any better

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Bok Choy by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Does he like cabbage PJ? Bok choy has a similar taste but much lighter and it contains lots of water.

Billy
  Re: Re: Bok Choy by bjcotton (Does he like cabbage...)
I like bok choy, Billy! I was looking for a couple of recipes that I had, but have somehow disappeared from the binder that I had them in. However, I did find this one, and have used it many times. The packaged coleslaw mix is just for convenience. It is way better with fresh cut bok choy.

Pat's Wonder Salad (www.weightwatchers.com)

1 pkg. beef flavored ramen noodles
1 large package coleslaw mix or 4 cups bok choy
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds

2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 cup water
1 flavor packet ramen noodles
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Break noodles into pieces and mix with coleslaw, sunflower seeds, onions and almonds in a large salad bowl.

Whisk together ingredients for dressing. Pour over salad and mix.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bok Choy by Mare749 (I like bok choy, Bil...)
I enjoy bok choy also. I've had it in many dishes and have cooked with it myself.

Maryann, the recipe sounds great with bok choy or cabbage!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Bok Choy by Half_Baked (I enjoy bok choy als...)
We use it in stir fry all the time. Planted some in my garden this year. But apparently gophers like to cook with it too and decided not to share with us much so now have only one plant left. Oh well, the good news we have such a huge asian community here that there are more asian stores than supermarkets around so bok choy is always available.