Help with a cake, please!
  Re: (...)
I didn't get as much accomplished today as I wanted to so tomorrow is going to be rushed. My MIL is coming to dinner to celebrate my husbands birthday (Friday) and I was going to make a coconut cake with chocolate frosting. However, if I could make this cake from a mix it would help free my schedule for other things. I have a white cake mix. It calls for the addition of eggs, oil, and 1-1/4 cup water. I'd like to add coconut rum to the mix, but how much? Jack loves coconut rum and I think it would taste pretty good, too. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe 1/4 cup rum, 1 cup water...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Help with a cake, please! by foodfiend (I didn't get as much...)
I checked some other sites for rum cakes and they called for 1/2 cup, mostly of dark rum which has a heavier flavor. Hope that helps.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Vicci, if you look back to your April issue of C@H, issue 62, there is a triple coconut cake on page 49 that I made a few months ago. It must be about the best cake I have ever made. Maybe you could use that as a guide along with your cake mix?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Help with a cake, please! by bjcotton (I checked some other...)
Thanks Billy! I didn't think to look for rum cake recipes...

I usually use dark rum when baking, but since this will be a white cake, I'll stick with the clear coconut rum this time. Maybe even up it a bit-- 3/4 cup rum and 1/2 cup water? Like having too much rum could ever be a problem.

Maryann, now I'm feeling guilty about not making the cake from scratch! Triple coconut... mmmmmmm!

Big day tomorrow, so I'm going to bed. Who wants to bet that I'll dream of cake?!?!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Help with a cake, please! by foodfiend (Thanks Billy! I didn...)
Don't worry about using a mix Vicci, we all use shortcuts on occasion. Not to worry we won't disinherit you
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Help with a cake, please! by foodfiend (Thanks Billy! I didn...)
How about brushing your cake layers with coconut rum before you frost, in addition to adding some to the mix.

I do this w/Chambord and Grand Marnier all the time, really boosts the flavor of a mix.

Good Luck!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Help with a cake, please! by pjcooks (How about brushing y...)
PJ. What a great idea!!!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Foodfiend: The triple coconut cake mentioned is EXCELLENT and really doesn't take up much more time than the box. BUT...here's a tip on adding the liquor to the cake: Too much of it will turn the cake bitter and alcohol burns off when heated. You would be better adding an extract to the cake mix, like coconut extract, or even rum extract is available by McCormack spices, which are sold everywhere.

If you want a really good coconut rum taste, add it to the frosting! If making that from scratch, omit the usual vanilla extract and add your coco-rum. Additionally, get yourself one of those spray/spritzer bottles that are really inexpensive, put your coconut rum in there and MIST the cake.

And if you want to be REALLY impressive, torte the cake! Make it 4 layers rather than 2, and MIST each layer, top AND bottom of each. You can use any long knife, like a bread knife which works great! Your MIL will think you really slaved on the cake and your family will be pleasantly surprised when hubby cuts into it and they see the 4 layers rather than the "expected" 2!!! (Re. "MIST" -- make sure it is a mist -- too much will make the cake soggy, and you want a subtle taste, not a cake that is drowned).

Also, if your schedule is that tight and time permits, make the cake Wednesday or Thursday. You can make the cake, torte it, spray it and then wrap each layer well in plastic wrap and put in frig and frost it later if your time is really tight. The misting will keep the cake moist longer (a pro baker's secret weapon!) {BTW: I am a professional cake decorator/pastry chef and have made cakes like this many times with different flavors, etc., pro and on-the-run!) Good luck! Let us know how it turned out!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Help with a cake, please! by MUSICMAKER (Foodfiend: The trip...)
Welcome MusicMaker! Wow, what a wonderful idea.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Help with a cake, please! by Half_Baked (Welcome MusicMaker! ...)
Welcome Musicmaker! Thanks for sharing your baking ideas with us. I especially like the idea of a torte, however, I feel that I should mention that this might be difficult with the C@H Triple Coconut Cake recipe as it is very light and delicate, and crumbles easily. What are your thoughts on that?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."