Lightened- Indian-style Stuffed Chicken Breasts
  Re: (...)
I decided to lighten up the Gemini Birthday Dinner entree so that I could make it! (Um, since this is my first time, I'm not breaking any rules by altering the recipe, am I? I was able to get the total fat down by 2/3.)

I made this tonight and it turned out well, so I thought I'd share it so those who are on diets can join in, if they want.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Indian-Style Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Servings: 2

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons fresh ginger -- minced
4 teaspoons garlic -- crushed
2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
5 ounces frozen spinach -- (10 oz.) thawed, squeezed dry
3 ounces lite ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon plain nonfat yogurt
1 small garlic clove -- minced
Salt and pepper to taste
12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- (2 halves)
1/4 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 small garlic clove -- minced
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes -- chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons cashews -- chopped

In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt through the kosher salt.
In another small bowl, mix the spinach through the garlic. Season with salt and pepper.

Cut a horizontal slit the thickest part of the chicken breasts. Stuff with the ricotta mixture and close the slit with toothpicks. Place in a dish.

Pour 1/2 cup of the marinade into a measuring cup and set aside. Pour the rest of the marinade over the stuffed chicken breasts, turn gently to coat, and set in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes up to one hour.

Heat the grill to medium-high. Oil the grids to prevent sticking.

Place the chicken breasts on the grids, and grill the chicken for 10-12 minutes per side, turning once, until done.

After the chicken is about halfway done, saute the onion and garlic in a small nonstick skillet until softened. Add marinade and skim milk and gently bring to a simmer. Mix 1/2 cornstarch in 2 teaspoons water and stir in until mixture thickens slightly. Keep warm.

When chicken is ready to be served, stir coconut extract into the sauce, then fold in the tomatoes. Pour over each chicken breast, sprinkle with cilantro and cashews.

I served over steamed basmati rice and peas

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 406 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat; (18% calories from fat); 55g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 101mg Cholesterol; 1000mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

[Image: e944e14a.jpg]

[Image: e944e0b1.jpg]
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Lightened- Indian-style Stuffed Chicken Breasts by foodfiend (I decided to lighten...)
I'm taking the liberty to say "Hell, no"! Editing to add I don't think you're breaking any rules, I don't think we really have any) I think we are all looking for ways to cut calories and fat, and I for one, appreciate your efforts!
Looks great.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Lightened- Indian-style Stuffed Chicken Breasts by foodfiend (I decided to lighten...)
Thanks Vicci, I think I'll try it this way. I'd love to lose some weight for summer. I'm thinking of serving with homemade pita bread, but I promise I'll go easy, and add a bit of whole wheat flour to ease the guilt
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Lightened- Indian-style Stuffed Chicken Breasts by farnfam (Thanks Vicci, I thin...)
Vicci! This is great and I thank you.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Lightened- Indian-style Stuffed Chicken Breasts by farnfam (Thanks Vicci, I thin...)
Quote:

Thanks Vicci, I think I'll try it this way. I'd love to lose some weight for summer. I'm thinking of serving with homemade pita bread, but I promise I'll go easy, and add a bit of whole wheat flour to ease the guilt
Cis

Cis, go authentically Indian and make roti! There are recipes everywhere. It's traditionally made with whole wheat and even easier to make than pita. I adore naan but the only really good way to make it is with a tandoor oven, so at home I opt for the roti instead.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Lightened- Indian-style Stuffed Chicken Breast by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Roti? I'll have to check it out, I don't think I've ever had it. Oh goody a new carb, what could be bad?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life