PJ's Recipe Faux-Reos [bet they meant Oreos]

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Cookies
1 cup + 2 tablespoons (7 7/8 ounces) granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter -- (1 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour or Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (6 1/4 ounces)
3/4 cup black cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa -- (2 1/4 ounces) plus 2 to 3 additional tablespoons for coating the cookies.
Filling
1 teaspoon + a heaping 1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (you'll use part of a 1/4- ounce packet)
2 tablespoons cold water -- (1 ounce)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening -- (3 1/4 ounces) trans-fat-free preferred
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar -- (10 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets, or more if you have them; you'll make 3 to 4 baking sheets' worth of cookies. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons black or Dutch-process cocoa in an 8" or 9" cake pan, shaking to distribute it across the bottom of the pan.

To make the cookies: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, salt, and espresso powder. That's right; there's no leavening in this recipe, so don't worry that something's been left out. Beat in the egg, water, and vanilla, then the flour and cocoa. The dough will be very stiff.

Roll the dough into balls about the size of a chestnut (about 2 level teaspoons). Note: A teaspoon cookie scoop works fabulously here, as well as for the filling. If you don't have one, consider a purchase; you won't regret it. As you roll the dough into balls, place them in the cake pan with the cocoa. When you have 6 to 8 balls in the pan, shake gently to roll them in the cocoa, then place on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with all the dough.

Use the flat bottom of a glass, dipped in cocoa as necessary to prevent sticking, to flatten the cookies to about 1/8" thick. Take a ruler and measure 1/8"; you want to get pretty close to this measurement, for the best-textured cookies.

Bake the cookies for 18 minutes. It's important to bake them just the right amount of time; too little, and they won't be crisp; too much, and they'll scorch. Watch them closely at the end of the baking time, and if you start to smell scorching chocolate before 18 minutes has gone by, take them out. When they're done, remove the cookies from the oven, and allow them to cool completely, on a rack or on the pan.

While the cookies are cooling, make the filling. Soften the gelatin in a cup with the 2 tablespoons of cold water, then place the cup in a larger dish of hot water and leave it there, stirring occasionally, until the gelatin dissolves and becomes syrupy, 5 to 10 minutes. While this is happening, beat together the shortening, vanilla, and sugar. It'll seem very dry at first, but will eventually begin to clump together. When this happens, add the dissolved gelatin, and beat until smooth.

Place one level tablespoon filling in the center of one cookie; again, a teaspoon cookie scoop, slightly heaped, is perfect for this task. Place another cookie atop the filling, and squeeze to distribute the filling evenly. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container.

Yield: about 2 dozen 2" sandwich cookies.

Source:
"King Arthur The Baker's Catalogue"
Yield:
"2 dozen"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Who doesn't love these dark-as-sin sandwich cookies? Who hasn't ALWAYS loved them? They're a childhood favorite, but let's face it; many of us still rank them #1 in our personal Cookie Hall of Fame.

This updated classic includes trans-fat-free shortening in the filling, and organic white whole wheat flour in the cookie. Use our regular King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (or our unbleached organic flour) if you must; but trust me, you'll never know you're eating whole wheat when you bake with our King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour. I say this with pride: it's the best flour on the planet!

P.S. Spring for the black cocoa, too; it makes these cookies black as a moonless night, just like the supermarket originals.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Guess What I found... by bjcotton (This is from PJ [img...)
Oh, Billy, you cutie,love your play on names

Only those of us who frequent the KA site would know that!

Oh, and they're right about the black cocoa, I have that and it really is like the Oreo cookie. Sure does make a mess, though!

PJ
  Re: Re: Guess What I found... by pjcooks (Oh, Billy, you cutie...)
BUT they are sooooo good!!!! drooling all the way to the kitchen for another!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Guess What I found... by Roxanne 21 (BUT they are sooooo ...)
Did you make some of these Roxanne? I'm tempted, but not with the temperatures ranging into the mid-high 90's.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy