Advice about deep-freeze
  Re: (...)
I was unpacking groceries today and opened the door to the deep freeze. There were ice crystals on everything and, although even though the foods seemed to be frozen solid, I knew that something was wrong. And I found it. For some reason, the bottom corner of the door is not closing properly, leaving about a half-inch gap. I can't find any obstruction, and the side of the freezer was hot from running so much, so Jack clamped the bottom shut. This will be fun. I'll have to unclamp it every time I have to pull something out of the freezer!

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Here's my dilemma. This deep freezer was my Grandmother's. Nobody is certain of how old it is, but my Dad said that she bought it a few years before she had to go into a nursing home-- in 1981. This beast is about 30 years old (does Montgomery Ward even exist any more, much less make freezers?). I hate to get rid of it.

But Jack says that this may be a "sign". We have long thought that it isn't nearly as energy-efficient as the newer ones, and I have to defrost it manually twice a year. So, while I clamp and unclamp my freezer door, I'm looking into what another freezer would cost. And what brand would be best. Does anyone have any words of advice/ wisdom for me?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Advice about deep-freeze by foodfiend (I was unpacking groc...)
Interesting post FF. Have you replaced the seals? Although 1/2 inch gap seems a lot. Maybe the door is warped. I personally prefer chest freezers, although they are not as convenient as the uprights. It would be dreadful if the hard working motor blew up and you lost the contents, not worth the risk imho. The newer (upright) freezers have drawer don't they, so the cold air does not fall out when you open the door. Incidently, both my freezers are at least the age of yours.
  Re: Re: Advice about deep-freeze by vannin (Interesting post FF....)
Quote:

Incidently, both my freezers are at least the age of yours.

Wow, Dale-- and I thought I had a record going here!

Seals, I hadn't thought of that. This happened late this afternoon and Jack will probably take a closer look tomorrow. On one hand, I hate to get rid of something that still works and has served us for all there years. On the other, I have lots of stuff in that freezer and it would be awful to lose it.

I know that chest freezers hold more than the uprights, but I have back problems and hanging over the edge, looking for that elusive package of spinach, would be quite a pain.

I'd ask what brand of freezers you have, but they are probably not available in the US. I'd also love a Smeg refrigerator...they are so classic.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Advice about deep-freeze by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
LOL Vicci, I couldn't tell you what brand. Prob. Fisher and Paykel, they are local.
I bet I can top you! My chest deep freeze is who knows how old. I HATE it - it is HUGE and things get lost in the bottom and become mystery meat and need to be thrown out. Way too much room. But we are looking to by 1/2 a cow and 1/2 a pig and I am afraid if I unplug it, it will never start again. It is sooooo old.

I hope you have good luck. They do not make things like they used to. Not meant to stand up to time. BUT...if it is not working, don't hang on to it. The advancements are too important to ignore.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Advice about deep-freeze by esgunn (I bet I can top you!...)
Boy, will your electric bill go down soon...as soon as you replace that old-timer!!! We've always just run to Sears for refrigerators/freezers, usually good buys and good, reliable products.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
"Wow, Dale-- and I thought I had a record going here!"

Vicci, my dad has a chest freezer in his basement that has to be close to 50 years old and still running!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Advice about deep-freeze by foodfiend (I was unpacking groc...)
remember to run the new one for 24 hours before filling it. This causes problems, because the delivery people will usually haul away the old appliance, but they won't come back for it. When I replaced my side-by-side 'fridge, I had to pay them $25 for them to return the next day to cart the old one away, because I insisted the new one be plugged in and running for a day. They said it wasn't necessary, but I wanted to be sure the freezer was cold enough.