18 hour no knead bread
  Re: (...)
Ok, I am trying this one! It is mixed up and sitting on my counter - 17 1/2 hours to go...

So, I know this has been hashed and re-hashed many times before - but what kind of pot do you use? And how does the bread turn out? The only 3-4 quart pot I have is a black Calphlon 3 1/2 quart pot and lid that is about 7 1/2 inches in diameter.

I also have a pizza stone I can use. Would I be better off with that? Does this turn out more like a rustic loaf or a finer bread? Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: 18 hour no knead bread by esgunn (Ok, I am trying thi...)
It's definately a rustic loaf, Erin. It has nice big holes and a great crust. It's almost impossible to make a mistake with this, unless your yeast is no good. I have experimented with several different pots and pans, and have never had a bad loaf. And yes, you can use your pizza stone. Because it's such a soft dough (a sponge, really) it will spread out a bit on the stone and be more like focaccia.

Do date, I have made this in cast iron, enameled cast iron, aluminum, corningware, pyrex, and a perforated french bread pan. They all turn out fine, just a little bit different. My favorite way remains the original recipe, cast iron dutch oven with a lid. You get a little bit more "spring" in the dutch oven because it gets so hot.

Have fun with this, and be sure to let us know what variations you come up with. I'm sure your calphalon will be just fine for this.

Maryann

P.S. I love your new signature line. You SHOULD be proud,
you are a very special mom!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I make this bread often and I use a round Corningware casserole with a glass lid for baking. I've made it as a focaccia and it is good. But if you don't bake it in something with a cover, you won't get the crackly-crisp crust.
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Re: 18 hour no knead bread by jenni (I make this bread of...)
"calphalon will be just fine for this." - calphalon can be used at these temperatures???? I have no idea, just asking - just in case...

I agree with Maryann - I like it done in cast iron the best! My dutch oven lid fits one of my skillets, so that what I use now. haven't made for a couple weeks....hmmmmmm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 18 hour no knead bread by cjs ("calphalon will be j...)
"calphalon will be just fine for this." - calphalon can be used at these temperatures???? I have no idea, just asking - just in case...

Good save, Jean! What was I thinking??? Sorry, Erin, hope I didn't give you bad advice.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I've read all the posts about this bread but can't seem to find where the recipe is. Would you mind posting it?
  Re: Re: 18 hour no knead bread by Bethp (I've read all the po...)
Here you go!

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...part=1&vc=1
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Whoo Hoo! It worked. I am successful! The biggest obstacle for me is bread baking. My very first loaf of 18 hour bread was successful. The kids loved it, dh liked it. Before dinner 1/2 a loaf was gone. Ready to master and branch out!

here is a picture after we had gotten into it...

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q43/s...CN3009.jpg

Thanks all for the recipe.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Bread Success!!! by esgunn (Whoo Hoo! It worke...)
Yum, erin!1 It looks wonderful!

"Before dinner 1/2 a loaf was gone." - that's always our problem also!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread Success!!! by cjs (Yum, erin!1 It looks...)
That's a great crust. I can sit home alone, eating slivers of the bread and all of a sudden 1/2 of it is gone. Wow, it's a real red light food for me!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.