Has this ever happened to you?
  Re: (...)
I was cutting bread earlier today. I accidentally dropped the knife (tile floor) and the blade broke in half. I've never had a knife blade break before. Is this common? It was a metal, not a ceramic, blade.
  Re: Has this ever happened to you? by Ron (I was cutting bread ...)
That IS strange Ron. I've never heard of them breaking before, other than maybe a tip off the blade.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Has this ever happened to you? by bjcotton (That IS strange Ron....)
Billy, it broke about an inch and a half down from the handle - straight across. Not an expensive knife or a cheap knife, but a moderately priced one that has received favorable reviews.
  Re: Re: Has this ever happened to you? by Ron (Billy, it broke abou...)
Can't say that this has happened to me. I would try return it to the store and get another.... if I could find the receipt!
  Re: Re: Has this ever happened to you? by HomeCulinarian (Can't say that this ...)
Quote:

Can't say that this has happened to me. I would try return it to the store and get another.... if I could find the receipt!

I'd like to get some more "yea" or "nea" responses. When I do, I will have an interesting story to post.
  Re: Re: Has this ever happened to you? by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"I'd like to get some more "yea" or "nea" responses. When I do, I will have an interesting story to post."

Since there have been no "yea" or "nea" responses, there will be no "interesting story."
  Re: Re: Has this ever happened to you? by Ron ("I'd like to get som...)
I dropped a 3 inch Wusthoff(sp?) on my ceramic tile floor and it snapped in half. It was about 3 yrs old. Always meant to do something about it, never got around to it. I figured it was a combo of weak spot in knife and unforgiving tile. And me being clumsy

PJ

If I had the time and the energy at the time, I would have returned it. So, a yay, return, from me.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Has this ever happened to you? by pjcooks (I dropped a 3 inch W...)
Nay, I have only dropped one knife and it was one of those "Good Cook" brands you can buy at the grocery store. It just bounced, so I washed it and continued cutting. Think I paid a whole $8.00 for it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Has this ever happened to you? by Ron (I was cutting bread ...)
Hmmm, it doesn't seem as though that should have happened. I dropped my favorite paring knife on the tile floor and the tip broke off, which is understandable since it is a small area, but for the blade to snap in half so close to the handle? Must have been a weak area in the forging of the blade. Yay.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Has this ever happened to you? by foodfiend (Hmmm, it doesn't see...)
I have a question about the knife.

Do you put it in the dishwasher? There was a discussion at school about never putting your blades in the the dishwasher for a couple of reasons. The extreme heat they get exposed to and the chemicals in the soap and if you use that product that helps with spots. These get into pores of the blade and weaken it's integrity.