Gift "critique" and a recipe needed
  Re: (...)
Later this week we are attending the 100th birthday party of the lady who sold us her farm house almost 24 years ago. I had originally intended on buying a rich hand-lotion and some decadent chocolates for her but my husband thinks that (especially for someone who is almost blind and hard of hearing) this might be the kind of gift she will receive a lot of. So he suggested that I make up a basket of home-baked treats (for her and her visiting family to enjoy).

I've found a nice willow basket in a tray shape, and purchased a pretty linen tea-towel to line it. Now to fill:

Mini Lemon Bundt Cakes
Black & White Banana Loaf
Toll House Cookies
Soft Almond Biscotti

How does this sound? I'm trying to stick with softer foods and a variety of flavors. Should there be anything else? I am tying tags to each with the name of the baked item and ingredient list (in case she may be allergic to something). I keep thinking that there should be more, but she lives in a nursing facility and can't use any special coffees or teas or other beverages. Any thoughts?

Also, some of her out-of-town family members may be coming to our house for a visit. We are to have warm weather this weekend, so I thought I'd serve mint iced tea and a soft lemon cookie (glazed?) on the porch. Does anyone have a favorite recipe for such a cookie?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Gift "critique" and a recipe needed by foodfiend (Later this week we a...)
Vicci, do you have any small..about 1/2 pint...home made jams, jellies, chutneys, etc.? I've found that people really enjoy those items too. Those and cookies are what I filled my Christmas baskets with last year and they were more popular than anything else I've ever given.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Gift "critique" and a recipe needed by bjcotton (Vicci, do you have a...)
Billy, I wish I did. I gave away a lot at Christmas, and finished up my own stock a month or so ago. I'm waiting for local strawberries to ripen so I can replenish. Thanks for the idea though, I hadn't thought of that sort of thing.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Gift "critique" and a recipe needed by foodfiend (Billy, I wish I did....)
I think it's the fact that YOU took the time to make things and put it together that makes people value these type gifts, instead of just going out and buying something.

If you lived closer I have about 6 qts of Santa Rosa plum juice and 4 qts of Marrionberry juice left in the freezer and I'd donate it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
sounds like a great gift you're planning, Vicci - I would just add you might add a note for each one on how long they will last and/or can they be frozen.

My mother lives in an assisted living place, but she does have a nice size (well, for one 'olderly' person) freezer in her fridge. So she can put things I bring her in the freezer or hold out at room temp - whichever.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gift "critique" and a recipe needed by cjs (sounds like a great ...)
What a wonderful birthday party she'll have!

Jean: "I would just add you might add a note for each one on how long they will last and/or can they be frozen."

This is a great idea.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Gift "critique" and a recipe needed by cjs (sounds like a great ...)
Quote:

I would just add you might add a note for each one on how long they will last and/or can they be frozen.

Good idea! I don't think that she has a refrigerator or freezer, and everything I'm making should be fine at room tempo for a couple of days, but I will add instructions in case they happen to last for longer.

Billy, Santa Rosa plum jelly-- mmmmmmmmm! I do wish you were close by, I would gladly accept the juice to make the jelly and give you half. Or more... we could negotiate...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
The gift is very thoughtful and will certainly be appreciated. I don't know very many people who wouldn't enjoy it!
  Re: Re: Gift "critique" and a recipe needed by HomeCulinarian (The gift is very tho...)
Vicci, what a kind and thoughtful gift! I have a feeling that lucky lady hand-picked you for her home. Isn't it great when we are blessed with such special friendships?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Gift "critique" and a recipe needed by Mare749 (Vicci, what a kind a...)
Maryann, I've made a few substitutions in the recipe list and now will be making your Mom's pound cake (in mini Bundt pans) for including in the basket. Wish me luck- Mega Baking Day is tomorrow!
Vicci

my cooking adventures