Ice Cream Maker Blues
  Re: (...)
Do any of you own an ice cream maker?

Last week I purchased the Cuisinart 2 Qt ice cream maker. It is very simple - on/off. You have to freeze the mixing bowl first which I did for 24 hours. They say to shake it to make sure it's frozen. Didn't hear any sloshing noise. So in went the sorbet mixture. Which the instructions said that once the cooked mixture cools to room temp you can pour it in and let it rip. Should take about 25-35 minutes. 1 hour later it's like a runny slushy and the bowl is now thawed.

I'm grumpy.

I put the mixture into the freezer and it seems to have frozen up nicely.

Next adventure - Raspberry Gelato. Bowl has been in the freezer for 36 hours and still is not frozen. I even moved it to a different shelf. The gelato mixture is in the fridge and has been for almost 72 hours now.

I'm so frustrated...it's now going on 72 hours, bowl is still not 100% frozen and I'm worried the mixture is going to spoil before I get a chance to make it and it was a lot of work!

I need an ice-cream maker that works, but doesn't require I buy salt.

Sorry for the long rant. Just so frustrated because these things aren't cheap.
  Re: Ice Cream Maker Blues by DFen911 (Do any of you own an...)
I have the same ice cream maker and it works well. The ice cream/sorbet is never hard when you take it out of the machine...it's about soft-serve in the machine. You then put it in the freezer to harden. The instructions say to NEVER freeze anything in the ice cream bowl. I was in Costco last week and they had a Cuisinart Ice Cream machine that had it's own compressor on sale for $49.95.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Ice Cream Maker Blues by bjcotton (I have the same ice ...)
Denise, I have that same machine also, and have never had a problem. In fact, I just put the bowl in the freezer overnight and it's ready to go. Can you return your machine? I think it's defective.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ice Cream Maker Blues by bjcotton (I have the same ice ...)
I think I'm going to have to return it

I just cannot understand why it's not freezing up. Everything else in my freezer is rock hard and did a temp check and it's at 30 degrees and 28/29 in another spot.

Having it come out as soft serve isn't an issue. I plan was to start it before dinner and have it in the freeze while I prep and cook dinner.

Billy do you have that model that has it's own compressor?
  Re: Ice Cream Maker Blues by DFen911 (Do any of you own an...)
That's the one I have Denise, but I haven't made ice cream repeatedly so don't know how long it takes to get 'ready' again. I have a 2nd one that attaches to my K.A. mixture for when multiple batches are needed.

I do know I have the best luck when my 'mixture' is really cold, I never put it in at room temp.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ice Cream Maker Blues by cjs (That's the one I hav...)
Denise, I also have that machine. I never let the mixture run more than 20-30 minutes - or the bowl will warm up and actuall start melting the stuff again. It is very soft when it comes out. I put in another container and into the freezer. I have a permanent home in our freezer for the bowl. I wash in warm sudsy water, rinse and let air dry -then wrap in a plastic bag (to keep down on ice crystals on the bowl) then back in the freezer.

I also always have my mixture cold. Usually at least 2 hours. I am usually making fruit ice cream, so while the fruit is maserating (sp) in the refer - the ice cream mixture is also waiting in the refer.

I have never had a problem. Would probably take it back, sounds like you got a defective one.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Ice Cream Maker Blues by DFen911 (I think I'm going to...)
I presently have the same one Jean and Erin have. Works great.

I had a DeLonghi that had it's own compressor and it worked very well until it stripped some gears. DeLonghi said to take it to a repair person in Portland and they said they couldn't fix it. DeLonghi did send me a new beater thingy but it didn't work. I gave it to my little sis and her husband gave it a rap on the counter and it works like a charm. I think I might get the Cuisinart one if it's still on sale at Costco.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Ice Cream Maker Blues by bjcotton (I presently have the...)
one hint for storage - if you store in the freezer as I do, store it upside down so that if there is any moisture left in the container, it doesn't run to the bottom and freeze up the little "dimple"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com