Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake
  Re: (...)
This is a recipe that is always a hit and I've been asked for it too many times to count.

Bourbon Pound Cake

1 pound butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
8 egg yolks
3 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
1/3 cup bourbon
8 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cream butter & 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add flour alternately with flavoring and bourbon in thirds, beating until smooth. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, gradually adding remaining 1 cup sugar. Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture. Fold in nuts or sprinkle nuts in bottom of a well-buttered tube pan. Carefully turn batter into pan. Bake at 350 degrees 1 1/2 hours or until done. Cool in pan.

Servings: 16

Notes: I have made this cake without beating the egg whites separately. Just add whole eggs one at a time and beat well. It will produce a more dense and heavier cake, but turns out just as well. All alcohol evaporates during baking process. Only the flavor remains. This is also good made with rum, but is slightly sweeter. Enjoy!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by Mare749 (This is a recipe tha...)
This is going to be fun, Mary Ann! Thank you!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by Mare749 (This is a recipe tha...)
Your Mom's recipes are wonderful. Keep them coming!

I'm still waiting for that MasterCook software to arrive so I can start adding and organizing.
  Re: Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by HomeCulinarian (Your Mom's recipes a...)
again, thanks Maryann!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by cjs (again, thanks Maryan...)
Should I start another cookbook titled "Maryann's Momma's Recipes?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by bjcotton (Should I start anoth...)
If you want to, you go right ahead, Billy! My mom would be proud. They will be posted a few at a time as I am typing them into Mastercook from tiny index cards, some of which are old, yellow and crumbly. Some are typed, some are handwritten, most are faded, some are just newspaper clippings, so it's an on-going project, but lots of fun.

I just found our old address in Philadelphia where I was born stamped on the back of one of the recipes. I will be bringing home more of my mom's cookbooks shortly, and that's where I'll probably find some of the recipes that aren't in this file box.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by Mare749 (If you want to, you ...)
I did that for Jean, Maryann. She sent me a bunch of her sausage recipes and I typed them into MC for her. I think it was 40 some recipes. When you input recipes for someone else there are always judgment calls you have to make. Then send the originals back so they can check them out and make any changes necessary. Still enjoyable though.

Billy
  Re: Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by bjcotton (I did that for Jean,...)
Well, I can't send any back for editing, Billy. Mom's been gone for 13 years, but I still feel her presence in our lives all the time. So, I'll work from memory (I was in the kitchen a lot!) and do the best I can.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by Mare749 (Well, I can't send a...)
I'm looking forward to seeing what all you come up with. Isn't it fun and the memories...oooolala

Billy
  Re: Re: Mom's Bourbon Pound Cake by Mare749 (Well, I can't send a...)
A sad little aside to this topic - my aunt (last of that side of the family) gave my sister a folder with family recipes she had saved to give to me. I was going to pick them up early this week when we visited my mother - well, looks like this folder ended up in a stack of newspapers and my mother threw them out...no one knows how to tell my aunt this has happened... I'm just sick about it. they are all lost to us now.

Lots of wonderful Norwegian dishes - thank God I learned how to make Lefse and a few others, but not many!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com